Possible PRG Changes?

YBF2011

BrokeCollegeStudent
So I was taking this "confidential" survey from amex and over the course of 20 or so questions, there were 3 things that kept popping up.
1. $195 annual fee, up from $175
2. A $100 yearly airline fee credit
3. "The Hotel Collection" (never went into detail about this)

I'm not a fan of the PRG, as I think the reward structure is trash for $175 card, but I thought that these potential changes would interest those of you who are fans.

If you have any questions about what else was in the survey, just let me know. :)

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
So I was taking this "confidential" survey from amex and over the course of 20 or so questions, there were 3 things that kept popping up.
1. $195 annual fee, up from $175
2. A $100 yearly airline fee credit
3. "The Hotel Collection" (never went into detail about this)

I'm not a fan of the PRG, as I think the reward structure is trash for $175 card, but I thought that these potential changes would interest those of you who are fans.

If you have any questions about what else was in the survey, just let me know. :)
I use it to buy GC at the grocery store to pad my MR balance. Since I tend to get high values on Amex point, it's very worthwhile.

kidooo

Level 2 Member
I use it to buy GC at the grocery store to pad my MR balance. Since I tend to get high values on Amex point, it's very worthwhile.
Why would u not use everyday preferred card. Assuming you make 30 transactions a month (you can buy 30x $1 amazon gift cards) U get 4 point on first $6K each year and then 1.5 points. So even at lowest rate that's 50% more

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Why would u not use everyday preferred card. Assuming you make 30 transactions a month (you can buy 30x $1 amazon gift cards) U get 4 point on first $6K each year and then 1.5 points. So even at lowest rate that's 50% more
Once you get past $35k-$40k/year in spend the PRG beats Amex Everday. I put about $200k on the card each year.

For $200k with Everyday preferred you would get: ($6k x 4.5 = 27000 MR) + ($194K x 1.5 = 291000 MR) = 318000 MR

For $200k with PRG you would get: ($200k x 2) = 400000 MR - effort of buying 10+ Amazon GCs per month.

Even at only $100k in spend PRG beats Everday 200k MR to 168K MR.

kidooo

Level 2 Member
Once you get past $35k-$40k/year in spend the PRG beats Amex Everday. I put about $200k on the card each year.

For $200k with Everyday preferred you would get: ($6k x 4.5 = 27000 MR) + ($194K x 1.5 = 291000 MR) = 318000 MR

For $200k with PRG you would get: ($200k x 2) = 400000 MR - effort of buying 10+ Amazon GCs per month.

Even at only $100k in spend PRG beats Everday 200k MR to 168K MR.

I stand corrected. Didn't realize it has 2X points at supermarkets

Haley

I am not a robot
And gas stations.

If you have both, best way to spend is to max out Everyday card first, then shift to PGR. If you need MR points. The BA with transfer bonus gets me good value.

My PRG happens to also be one of my oldest cards, and I don't have an Everyday since it max' out so low, not currently worth the AmEx slot.

PRG also gets 4, or is it 5?, AU cards. Even at $195 just a few sync deals x5 cards more than covers the AF. I just looked, I have gotten $185 per AU cards in last 6 months...

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
And gas stations.

If you have both, best way to spend is to max out Everyday card first, then shift to PGR. If you need MR points. The BA with transfer bonus gets me good value.

My PRG happens to also be one of my oldest cards, and I don't have an Everyday since it max' out so low, not currently worth the AmEx slot.
I always forget about gas stations, probably because there is almost always a rotating 5x card for the quarter. That said, I do use PRG at gas stations as a fallback.

Walmero

Level 2 Member
50k PRG offer is back if anyone interested (per DoC). Got it to populate after 3 or 4 incognito tries and decided to go for it just because I tried like 100 times last go round and couldn't ever get anything other than standard. Prob should have waited for the 75.