Photos from the WestCoastDo

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
Well, it's sort of photos from the WestCoastDo. While Haley was doing the Do, I was off visiting Gilbert Riparian Preserve and a few spots near the Fire Sky with my camera and amazing new telephoto lens. I found a lot of really beautiful and interesting creatures including coyotes, burrowing owls, ospreys, lots of desert cottontails, black-necked stilts, egrets, and Canada geese (among other things). Pics are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/somebachs/

Here's one of the owls peeking at me:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics! Next time I need to bend your ear about how you do it. I've a D90 with boring lenses and need to learn how to make things like this happen!

TheBOSman

Staff member
Looks like the 150-600 is a fine lens.

I haven't broken my DSLR out in a while for better or worse :oops:.

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
Great pics! Next time I need to bend your ear about how you do it. I've a D90 with boring lenses and need to learn how to make things like this happen!
Thanks! Always happy to talk about technique, probably to the point of mild OCD. I'm sure you have a ton of free time for hobbies these days. :)

Looks like the 150-600 is a fine lens.

I haven't broken my DSLR out in a while for better or worse :oops:.
Yeah, the Tamron 150-600mm is really excellent, especially for the price. Autofocus is fast and quiet, it's really sharp, no distortion, and the VR/stabilization is pretty good - I was shooting hand-held for most of those shots at 600mm (though I used a monopod for a few). It's a little heavy - around 5 lbs., so after a day of carrying it slung over my shoulder, that shoulder was hurting and my arms were a bit shaky when I tried to aim towards the end of the day. With f/5.6 at 600mm you do need good light, but if it were any wider it'd be a whole lot heavier, so it's a good trade-off for me.