Paris/Brussels -- What would you do?

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
The wife and I have a post-Christmas trip planned to Paris, Brussels, and Amsterdam. I'm really on the fence about it with everything that's going on over there. I realize that our chances of getting gunned down by ISIS are statistically low, but I also want to be smart. There's also something about that part of the world that now doesn't feel right for relaxing and having fun.

Our trip is mostly booked on points and miles that can be changed without a ton of trouble (mostly) but I'm not sure what to do. What would you guys do?

sriki

Level 2 Member
For me personally, I would go as long as it's reasonably safe from physical harm point of view. I have seen conflict in my past life and things like the current events do not affect me emotionally. So, that's where I'm coming from. Does these events take an emotional toll on you?

Franklin's Dad

Level 2 Member
Statistically speaking, you have nothing to worry about any more so than you should worry every time you get behind the wheel of an automobile. But it's all about your personal comfort level, and remember, this is supposed to be a vacation! If you're not totally excited about going, it might not be a bad idea to just call it off. And that's OK!

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
If you have a bad feeling or your gut is telling you not to go, then you probably won't enjoy the trip as much as you would otherwise.

That said, we went to Greece for our honeymoon during the Athens riots. My husband and I felt comfortable going, but my MIL begged us not to go so we compromised and skipped Athens and just went to the islands.

We were in Germany as the first wave of refugees arrived in September and the tourist areas were in "business as usual" mode. Obviously things were much calmer then, but I would still feel safe in Europe.

My view may be slightly skewed as I live by DC so staying home has about the same (if not greater) percentage of an attack as anywhere else.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I live in NYC. If I worried about terrorism I'd spend all day in my apartment. Enjoy your trip! Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam will be fantastic! You have a much better chance of getting hit by a car at home than being gunned down by a terrorist in Europe.

Dave

Level 2 Member
I just saw this photo of the Louvre, which is practically empty. Makes me think it might actually be a good time to go, from a tourist perspective. When I saw the Mona Lisa, I was practically crushed by other museum goers. And that was twenty years ago.

Code:
http://hyperallergic.com/255917/the-louvre-is-empty/

Last edited:

SOC 787

Flight Club
I agree, think positive and go for it.

I was just in Paris this past wkend. everything is back to normal. you see extra security and stuff. but live your life by this phrase #NotAfraid

p.s. who goes to western EU in the dead of winter to relax? lol... anyways you will have fun and xmas is always beautiful there.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
We arrived in Paris 6 hours before hell broke loose, and stayed through the following week. This old dog was VERY inspired by the determination of most Parisians to continue to live life in spite of it all. By all means go.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Wendy Perrin recently posted a pretty good article about this:
Code:
http://www.wendyperrin.com/7-keys-traveling-without-fear-despite-terrorist-attacks/
Great observation on the statistical probability of being a victim of an attack.

Trip Advisor lists 13,955 restaurants in Paris. The terrible November 13 attacks involved 4.

Last edited:

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
"That part of the world"? Look at the stuff that happens here.

I'm going if I am you. I am not willing to live my life in fear. With that said, I'm also not going to do something stupid and put myself in obvious jeopardy. I don't think this case is the latter. Enjoy yourself on the trip, but be aware of what is going on around you (like you should any other time in life).

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Go. We always take advantage of bargain fares and award availability to make trips in January and February, and I can honestly say that, despite the cold, it is my favorite time to visit Europe. Almost no tourists whatsoever, we have been mistaken for locals, or else being on business trips, because no one visits during those months. Excellent friendly service and no crowds or lines.

As for the ISIS fears... Do you have the slightest fear, trepidation, or worry about dying in a car crash on your drive to the airport? What about your fear of being injured in a taxi in Brussels? Because both of those scenarios are thousands of times more likely to occur than you being a victim of a terrorist event on vacation. They are just so commonplace and banal that you don't think of them, even though the risks are much greater.

Also consider that people in Paris and Amsterdam are asking their friends and family, "Wow, with San Bernadino, should I cancel my trip to America?" o_O

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
Yeah, [chuff] it. We're all in. I even asked a friend (recent Green Beret) about his thoughts and the first thing he said was: "Go! Tourism will be down so there will be plenty of deals!" Hard to argue with Special Forces :)

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
p.s. who goes to western EU in the dead of winter to relax? lol... anyways you will have fun and xmas is always beautiful there.
AA off-peak economy awards! LAX-CDG on Air Tahiti Nui costs only miles + $5.60/person (each way, of course.)

Plus, my wife and I work in pretty opposite industries (showbiz and education) so it's the only time of year we're both guaranteed to have off.

Last edited: