Over Paying a Hospital Bill?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Wondering if anyone has every overpaid a hospital bill?
I have two separate hospitals that I can add an extra digit to and bill my card $7,770 (instead of $770) and $4,699 (instead of $469). I'm assuming it would take at least 60 days to get the money back...and I wouldn't call it out to them for at least two weeks. I also assume that a hospital wouldn't refund through your credit card but I can call to ask.

spencetheintense

Level 2 Member
I accidentally did this recently and it took nearly 3 months (after many many phone calls) to get the extra $500 back. It was given back as a check, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Kint Sakurai

What rationale did they give for delaying payment for 3 months? Not sure how much pressure you put on them, but I feel like I would have escalated things much quicker before getting to 3 months, especially in the case of a genuine accidental overpayment.

Last edited:

spencetheintense

Level 2 Member
What rationale did they give for delaying payment for 3 months? Not sure how much pressure you put on them, but I feel like I would have escalated things much quicker before getting to 3 months, especially in the case of a genuine accidental overpayment.
Right? It was "we are investigating....will take care of it...." It was a joke to say the least. I'm sure I could have been a bit meaner to get it quicker.

kathynokes

Level 2 Member
I have honestly accidentally overpaid a couple of different bills over the years. The hassle of getting the money back is barely worth it. Although, the IRS does send the money back on their own. Just takes a while to do it!

Touristtrap

Level 2 Member
My experience is not to do it. I accidentally overpaid the bill once and it took me 3 months and couple of hours on the phone to get my money back. Some of my coworkers (patiently) waited 6 months before getting reimbursement. YMMV depending on institution.

PS Even private practice took 2 months to refund my overpayment (small amount).

PghRocks

IMO - this is a horrible idea. There's many causes for the high cost of healthcare in the US, and one of them is that hospital administration is byzantine. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had to fight something out with the hospital billing department after an ER visit or operation. And the thing is - you can ask questions like, "where do they get the right to hold the money for X days," but in reality, what are you going to due, sue? Fine, your court date is 6 months from now before the hospital files for a continuance - probably the first of many.

TaraL

Level 2 Member
I paid a bill-the stated amount-after my second child was born. Later on, when I looked at it more closely, I have notice that they charged me two times for the same thing. It took numerous phone calls, and about six months to get reimbursed. They admitted that they made an error in a first call, but I had to call at least three more times in order to get my money back. Not worth it.

oopl

Silver Member
A coworker who had a hospital visit recently that should be covered by her insurance. The hospital phoned her to pay up for the visit. She declined and wanted to wait for her insurance to pay. After asking around it seems some hospitals intentionally delay contacting insurers to get people to pay thm first then forget about it. Afterwards, they double dip with insurance.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I get an EOB with every medical visit so I know exactly what I'm supposed to pay. Even if I forgot about it once the hospital/Dr submitted I'd get an EOB.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
A coworker who had a hospital visit recently that should be covered by her insurance. The hospital phoned her to pay up for the visit. She declined and wanted to wait for her insurance to pay. After asking around it seems some hospitals intentionally delay contacting insurers to get people to pay thm first then forget about it. Afterwards, they double dip with insurance.
Maybe depends on kind of insurance you have, I have some really awesome insurance thanks to my employer and my employer basically owns the city we live in. At the ER, they lookedup my name and DOB, got my employer and insurance on their computer (without me having visit them anytime earlier) and I was set.

PPOs work best for this, they cant bill me directly as my insurance would have negotiated rates with them.