ORD-HNL for Summer 2016

jtcho78

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice to get to Hawaii for the first time for our 10-yr anniversary, from Chicago. My uncreative mind is just looking for first class bookings through American site directly, but pickings are slim & availability changes during the day. United first class is almost non-existent.

1. Prefer ORD to HNL, though we may fly to other islands when we get there. Nonstop is best, 1 stop is ok, but more than that is not preferable.
2. After 6/8/16, before 8/15/16 for 6 nights
3. Prefer first or business class
4. 2 adults
American - 171,906 & 164,740
United - 39,871 & 106,177
Ultimate Rewards - 121,088 & 117,740
Starwood - 26,474 & 33,000

Can anyone make some suggestions?

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
I'm seeing some consistent United award availability (2+ business seats) on Saturdays/Sundays in June/July on UA#1581 out of SFO.
  • Leave SFO at 7:40 a.m.
  • Arrive HNL at 10:28 a.m.
Perhaps those could be tied to a cheap cash booking or an American/Avios award? The way back is a bit trickier. I'm seeing a single day (Monday, July 4th) with United (UA#1221 returning to LAX).
  • Leave HNL at 12:45 p.m.
  • Arrive LAX at 9:15 p.m.
American appears to be rolling out their awards from HNL->ORD slowly. I'm only seeing availability until June 9th, 2016, so perhaps patience is the key there.

Remember that when booking a United award, transfer your Ultimate Rewards to Singapore KrisFlyer miles and then book. Singapore charges 30,000 miles oneway for business class awards between mainland U.S. and Hawaii. United charges 40,000 miles! There are no fuel surcharges with Singapore, and oneway itineraries are permissable.

Hope this helps a little bit!

-Bill

jtcho78

Level 2 Member
Thanks Bill. Let me check out if we could get to SFO for cheap, and get back from LAX potentially. Can I ask what you use to even see these possibilities? I was limiting myself to ORD-HNL, without the possibility of separate flights from west coast cities.

Definitely will keep the Ultimate Rewards to Singapore KrisFlyer miles in mind if we go with United. Much better use of Ultimate Rewards than transferring direct to United.

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
Thanks Bill. Let me check out if we could get to SFO for cheap, and get back from LAX potentially. Can I ask what you use to even see these possibilities? I was limiting myself to ORD-HNL, without the possibility of separate flights from west coast cities.

Definitely will keep the Ultimate Rewards to Singapore KrisFlyer miles in mind if we go with United. Much better use of Ultimate Rewards than transferring direct to United.
I was just plugging in United hub cities to HNL (LAX, SFO, IAH) to find any good matches. I did an award search on United.com from SFO to HNL. I started by plugging in "6/11/2016" and also checking the "nonstop only" box at the bottom right. Any dates shaded in "blue" or green" should have nonstop availability for 2+ people. It looks like starting on Sunday, June 5th, there is wide open availability on Saturdays and Sundays through July.