On advice, from good people and bad people

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This is a reminder for both the people giving out advice, and receiving it. One of the reasons that I am concerned about giving, and seeing other people give, advice in general is consequences.

We can certainly take the approach of caveat emptor (heck, its just a forum folks!) but by the same token, as we seek to steward a community, we should be careful what people may read into our words, and the damage they can cause. For example, while Level 2 is restricted from being view by 'everyone' there are members who will read a thread where two people are arguing, and may be convinced by one side or another.

We're not in a private conversation.

For the onlooker in the conversation:

Good people give advice with good intentions. Sometimes directly for your problem, or sometimes for someone else, and it fits your need so you follow the tips. Circles and arrows and all. That doesn't mean that the advice is good though, only the intention. We have a number of lawyers and other professionals here, but none of them are acting in a professional capacity when they talk in the forum. I myself am a financial professional, and even if I discuss directly with you some ideas for your problem, it doesn't constitute a working relationship.

Anything you read here, or are told here, is not professional advice, even if provided by a professional.

Bad people don't give a shit. These come in many forms, and while this forum is a great place, it rears its head on occasion. One subtle example of this that I'm very sensitive about is the 'desire to win' AKA a pissing contest. If you see these, you'll see people trying as much as possible to find facts, or laws, or rules, or whatever they can to beat you, but they don't realize (or care) that in doing so they are creating what the onlooker will see as an expert opinion on a matter. We had this happen recently, which is a shame.

For those giving advice
Please do so as freely as you wish, but please think about liability. By liability I mean that you have a responsibility to the community to protect them from themselves. While it is very unlikely to ever to come back on you professionally, don't facilitate someone screwing up.

For amature lawyers
If you find yourself 'wanting' something to be true, and then trying to fit the evidence around it, you're on shaky ground. If you aren't trained or experienced in reading statutes, don't think you can interpret them prudently if you have a conflicted interest - your desire to find the truth will make you find it everywhere. Remember, even if you think it is true, safe, legal to do what you are doing, that doesn't mean the other side of the law agrees with you.

The real lawyers will tell you that even if something is legal, that doesn't always mean that your case will not be examined for legality. IE being lawful does not mean that the law will not ask you to prove that, even if the burden of proof may lay with the prosecution.

So everybody, be conscious of the impact of your actions, read things as unbiasedly as you can, and when in doubt - don't do it!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
It's important to answer both the asked and the not asked question. People don't know what they don't know so they post a question that they think is their real question. But sometimes it is not. I appreciate when people answer my questions more expansively, and I try to do the same for others. A small example is that Avios is a very different program than the typical airline mileage program. I try hard to contrast and compare the various aspects of each program. Otherwise, a person might not understand that Avios has the best redemption for coach awards on AS nonstop flights from CA to Hawaii, or might not understand that BA charges high fuel surcharges for redemptions to Europe, making the cost of a coach award ticket almost as much as a paid ticket. Understanding such nuances is really important when a person is deciding whether or not to use a credit pull on a BA Chase card.

smittytabb

Staff member
And just another aside, lawyers in academia write a lot about their interpretation of laws and judges and juries make decisions daily about their interpretations of laws. Anyone outside the field of law (or inside it) should recognize that there is rarely one interpretation. And every single case is different. One small thing changes everything. So, generally that is why often lawyers do not comment in these type of settings, because there is often something left out and total knowledge of the facts is not in play. And to state the obvious, if you think you need legal advice, hire a lawyer. Don't assume legal advice on a forum applies to you.