NYC - HNL

AndyL

Level 2 Member
Need to find 2 roundtrip tix to HNL for a wedding! We need to return on Aug 2 but can be flexible on the outbound (ideally last week of July for me, mid July for SO). Should have enough miles in all major programs to make this happen. Business class preferred but willing to fly coach to minimize stops.

I understand this is high season and from what I've seen United award space is nonexistent right now even in coach. Any experience with close in bookings on their routes? Should I even bother looking at Delta?

My tentative plan was to get transcon on AA since those seats are easier to come by and then book the hawaii segment later with avios. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

jleey98

Level 2 Member
I think there are a number of option on the dates you were looking for EWR-HNL for the outbound. They all stop in LAX or SFO but there are a number of options. They even have a direct flight with lie flat seats but they release awards on those very sparsely but you can keep checking and pay the change fee if you so desire if space ever opens up. (I think IAD-HNL and EWR-HNL on United and ATL-HNL on Delta are the only lie flat options from the East Coast to Hawaii). I would not bother with business class unless you can get your hands on these seats (I'd rather just pay for an upgrade to E+)
JFK and LGA are tougher to come by because they're not United hubs.

For the inbound, Aug 2 is a Sunday... In general, I find award space on almost any route to be tough on Sundays and especially during the summer. Everyone is on vacation and wants to maximize their weekends and be back for work on Monday. You'll find space on HNL-EWR on almost every weekday but none on weekends. Your best bet might be to book a flight using Avios since you'd only be losing the 5.50 tax on each leg if you cancel.

Just one other option I'd consider if I were in your position... The Bank of America Alaska Airlines card comes with a companion certificate. Basically you pay $99 + taxes on a second ticket if you purchase one with no restrictions on destination or fare class and you do not have to pay with your Bank of America card. You can essentially get two tickets for around $1300 round trip, which I think is a steal for East Coast to Hawaii. Both tickets will earn full miles (I'd credit to Alaska or American) and you get the flexibility in booking whatever ticket you want. You can also pay with your Arrival+ or Capital One card to offset the cost.

AndyL

Level 2 Member
Ah I had forgotten about the Companion Pass! We're travelling on different days on the outbound so does that void the discount? Good reminder for next time for sure

So I guess the takeaway is that United will probably have the best award space? I took a closer look today and it seems that they certainly have a good amount of XN space for elites/CC holders. I don't have either so that must have been why availability was so bleak. Strange thing is that I checked again just now and half the space seems to have vanished for the inbound. Odd

jleey98

Level 2 Member
You do have to be traveling together. However, you can book the inbound (one way) using the companion pass since there is no stipulation for a round trip. It's possible that you can book EWR-HNL one way using points and use Alaska companion fare on the inbound since you're lacking in flexibility for dates. You can probably fly into your airport of choice as well in NY as well.

I personally don't know how much space Hawaiian airlines has but I do believe they fly directly from JFK as well. You can probably get a Hawaiian airlines card to get enough miles (and maybe transfer some SPG points to supplement). However, they do not have lie flat seats... Just something to consider. I have zero experience on Hawaiian airlines and award space but it's something else to look into.

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
Don't forget KE, you can book on their partners (most likely Delta) for 25k RT coach or 45k RT business (assuming availability).

jleey98

Level 2 Member
Don't forget KE, you can book on their partners (most likely Delta) for 25k RT coach or 45k RT business (assuming availability).
KE actually partners with Hawaiian and Alaska too... it's just a matter of finding availability.

jleey98

Level 2 Member
If United has the best availability then maybe Krisflyer miles would be most useful?
It is cheaper with Krisflyer miles... the only word of caution is that transfers aren't instantaneous from Chase so unless you already have miles or award space is abundant, I might stick with united.