NYC Airport choices

cheryld

Level 2 Member
We are planning on flying into New York for the July 4th fireworks (will arrive on the 3rd). The last time visited NYC we flew into EWR and took the Airtrain to Manhattan. The EWR station was under construction and we took a bus from EWR to the train. We have also flown into LGA in the past and took a taxi to the city(as our time was tight) - but I see there is a bus option too.

Basically, is one airport preferred over the other based on traffic/delays? Based on cost to get to Manhattan - it looks like LGA wins with the bus option.

I would appreciate advice from frequent travelers to NYC. Thank you!

ialto

Level 2 Member
really depends where you are staying. assuming you are in midtown area:

JFK : Airtrain + Subway will get you pretty much anywhere for ~7.50 per person. Cab is ~$60. takes a while to get in (60+ mins?).

LGA : Bus is possible, but then you will have to switch to another bus or subway to get anywhere. much more painful. Cab/uberx will probably be easy (25 mins, prob $25)

EWR: again depending on where you are staying, can make public transport work. the cheapest option is to take a bus to Newark Penn station, and then take PATH to 33rd st or WTC. might be easier to take a uberx to Newark (~$10), then PATH train (~$2.50/person). from Newark DO NOT take Amtrak - PATH is from the same spot (its more like the metro), and gives you better options.

ialto

Last edited:

cheryld

Level 2 Member
Thanks! - we will be staying at the Andaz Wall Street. Does Uber come into the airports? Not allowed at ORD.

Also, I wasn't clear in my original post. I thought I had read that arriving/departing from either LGA or EWR was not recommended because of flight delays. I can't remember which one though. We didn't experience any issues.

ialto

Level 2 Member
Uber does come to the airports, though at ewr they typically pick up on departures levels.
To downtown, public transport options are probably not very diff between the 3 airports.
LGA can have more delays than the other two.

Ialto

ialto

Level 2 Member
To add:
LGA is still the closest to downtown, though the advantage on time & cost is much reduced vs say midtown. I personally would not pay a premium to fly to any particular airport...

cheryld

Level 2 Member
Thanks ialto - LGA is actually cheaper. So it is cheaper to go to midtown from LGA as opposed to downtown? We are fine taking the subway to save $.

ialto

Level 2 Member
in that case, take the Q70 bus/uberx/cab to jackson heights (10-15 mins), and then take the subway from there - should have multiple options depending on how much you're ok to walk. google transit is your friend.

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
I travel to NYC from CHI several times a year. The only airport I really don't like to utilize in NYC is JFK (mostly because of distance/time to Midtown). If I'm staying in Midtown, I'll just choose LGA or EWR based on the cheaper fare. LGA is great if I plan to use a taxi/uber back to the airport and for the Centurion Lounge (although, it is before security).