Nikon D90 lens recommendations

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Any photographers out there? I'm in the market for a new lens...

I managed to mangle my main lens for the D90, it is the 18-105. I also have a 70-300 but it is a bit unwieldy. I'm wondering whether I should buy another 18-105 or if I should look at a smaller range.. let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Matt

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
Since you already have a 70-300 you can use that for reach and stick with something shorter and lighter for photos of people close up.

For flexibility the Nikon 18-55 zoom kit lenses are actually really good, they are really, really cheap, and they are nice and light. Makes toting the camera around more friendly. The new pop lenses are really cool and featherweight. You can find a kit lens for less than $100, used on Craigslist they are even cheaper. They aren't wide-angles, but pulling back to 18mm is nice for trip photos of beaches and buildings and things.

If you don't mind moving around some to get things just right a Nikkor 35 or 50 f/1.8 prime will get you a wider aperture and nicer glass for cheap. For indoors those are nice, wider aperture, more light, lower ISO, less noise. They are also really, really light. You can find them for around $200, probably with MS black magic you could do better.

I'd really recommend the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC, though. You can get great photos of birds and planes and things.

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
For the record, we have:
Nikkor kit 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor 50 f/1.8 prime
Sigma 105 f/4 macro
Tamron 150-600 f/5-6ish
Nikkor 55-300 (pretty much retired now)

When we're out and about the kit lens gets more use, though the prime takes really nice pictures, and the weight savings are noticeable.

The macro/telephoto are specialized things, when you want them they're cool, but they aren't great for family photos (though 600mm is useful for paparazzi style shots of the kids when they are camera-avoidant).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your advice guys. I was thinking to go smaller than 105 and based on this I found an 18-55... got it for $89 refurbed.

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens