New Years Churn - Thoughts?

ValueTravelerOZ

Level 2 Member
its that time of the year again for me--change filters, and churn new cards. This time, the following look appealing to me and wanted to get your expertly thoughts on them:

1. Wells Fargo rewards visa: 5% cash back /6 mths unlimited on gas groceries. --------*APPROVED*
2. Downgrade (personal) Alaska Airlines VISA + apply for the Business Alaska Airlines card 25,000 miles ----------- * APPROVED *
3. Citibank American Airlines VISA
- 50,000 offer ---------*APPROVED*
4. Barclays USAirways Mastercar
d 50,000 offer (already have one, but was aiming for another) * APPROVED*

On a side note, canceling my Chase UNITED Visa, as the annual feel is coming up...will try a retention bonus, but not counting on it. Im sorta grounded since the twins are born, and cant do much international traveling, so im figuring cash back cards would be good.

Last edited:

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Im sorta grounded since the twins are born, and cant do much international traveling, so im figuring cash back cards would be good.
How about the following for cashback plays?

OBC
Arrival
Double Cash/ Fidelit
Ebates (for AGC)
Rakuten
Marukai

The Wells Fargo 5% is good, but I believe it is once in a lifetime, isn't it? So you kind of want to be in a position to really max it out during those 6 months.

thatrik

Level 2 Member
its that time of the year again for me--change filters, and churn new cards. This time, the following look appealing to me and wanted to get your expertly thoughts on them:

1. Wells Fargo rewards visa: 5% cash back /6 mths unlimited on gas groceries. --------*APPROVED*
2. Downgrade (personal) Alaska Airlines VISA + apply for the Business Alaska Airlines card 25,000 miles
3. Citibank American Airlines VISA
- 50,000 offer ---------*APPROVED*
4. Barclays USAirways Mastercar
d 50,000 offer (already have one, but was aiming for another)

On a side note, canceling my Chase UNITED Visa, as the annual feel is coming up...will try a retention bonus, but not counting on it. Im sorta grounded since the twins are born, and cant do much international traveling, so im figuring cash back cards would be good.
Thanks for post. Couple Qs:

When was the last Citibank AA card you had? I currently have the Reserve and have had the regular Amex/Visa, which I cancelled some time ago but still show in my online portfolio. Given changes to T&C, I'm curious how the sign-up bonus will work.

And are you saying you currently have a Barclaycard USAirways open? Me as well, but would be nice to get another at the same time!

ValueTravelerOZ

Level 2 Member
Thanks for post. Couple Qs:

When was the last Citibank AA card you had? I currently have the Reserve and have had the regular Amex/Visa, which I cancelled some time ago but still show in my online portfolio. Given changes to T&C, I'm curious how the sign-up bonus will work.

And are you saying you currently have a Barclaycard USAirways open? Me as well, but would be nice to get another at the same time!
I actually looked it up ; looks like the last AA card I had was in July 2013....so I was defly due for another one. I do currently have a Barclay's card and will TRY to get another one....They are really stingy about giving multiple cards and I have actually had two USAIR cards in the past before, but I had to call it in and make it really convincing....I mean really own the call with the rep.

EDIT: I went ahead and applied and got approved!!! Unbelievable....100,000 pts in one night!

Last edited:

thatrik

Level 2 Member
I actually looked it up ; looks like the last AA card I had was in July 2013....so I was defly due for another one. I do currently have a Barclay's card and will TRY to get another one....They are really stingy about giving multiple cards and I have actually had two USAIR cards in the past before, but I had to call it in and make it really convincing....I mean really own the call with the rep.

EDIT: I went ahead and applied and got approved!!! Unbelievable....100,000 pts in one night!
Congrats! I just applied for Chase BA Visa (closed my last one a couple years ago) and was instantly approved, and also applied for AS Business (app pending).

For the Barclaycard, did you have to call in or just auto approved at app?

ValueTravelerOZ

Level 2 Member
Congrats! I just applied for Chase BA Visa (closed my last one a couple years ago) and was instantly approved, and also applied for AS Business (app pending).

For the Barclaycard, did you have to call in or just auto approved at app?
Was instantly approved.... thank God, cuz I didn't wanna have to call

thatrik

Level 2 Member
Was instantly approved.... thank God, cuz I didn't wanna have to call
Nice! Have you verified the sign-up bonus? Have heard Barclay more stingy as of late. I may give this a shot too.

Edit: I figured because of YOLO I'd give it a shot: instantly approved as well. For others wondering, I applied to my first US Air card on Dec 9, 2013, and it is still open (with a balance).

I'm still unclear from your posts if you've managed to get a second USAir bonus while already having a card open? Either way I guess I'll find out!

Happy NY!

Last edited:

ValueTravelerOZ

Level 2 Member
Nice! Have you verified the sign-up bonus? Have heard Barclay more stingy as of late. I may give this a shot too.

Edit: I figured because of YOLO I'd give it a shot: instantly approved as well. For others wondering, I applied to my first US Air card on Dec 9, 2013, and it is still open (with a balance).

I'm still unclear from your posts if you've managed to get a second USAir bonus while already having a card open? Either way I guess I'll find out!

Happy NY!
Yes...I have a USAIR mastercard which I got last year...(anniversary letter actually came today tell me annual fee will kick in soon)....and I also got another one. Now that I have two, I will , of course, cancel the first one to avoid the annual fee.....keep the second one. As for the 50,000 miles, I'm confident I'll get it, as I did this before and got the bonus' . Let me know how you come out of it also.

thatrik

Level 2 Member
Yes...I have a USAIR mastercard which I got last year...(anniversary letter actually came today tell me annual fee will kick in soon)....and I also got another one. Now that I have two, I will , of course, cancel the first one to avoid the annual fee.....keep the second one. As for the 50,000 miles, I'm confident I'll get it, as I did this before and got the bonus' . Let me know how you come out of it also.
Great, thanks! I also got approved for the AS Bus Visa, bringing me to 125k for $2k spend in 3 months. Thanks for the inspiration!