New? Idea: Adding Amex Plat Authorized User In Exchange for...

Cdog101

Level 2 Member
Hello all,

I am thinking selling one or more of the authorized user spots on my Ameriprise Amex Plat and would like everyone's feedback. I wouldn't keep the card for more than a year (unless I received great retention offer), so this would be a one year opportunity. I would set the authorized spend to zero, so there would conceivably be no risk to me, and the card would obviously not be for charging.

The card would come would its current lounge access, and of course get the Global Entry Credit, which is ~ $100, right? So anyways, what would such an offer be worth?

I was thinking $40 - $50 would be reasonable, any thoughts?

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
might be lucrative to someone if you have been a member for quite a while and they could attempt to backdate with younger credit.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I forget the numbers now, but believe AU at Plat level is restricted to perhaps 5 people, then maybe 50'golds and 99 greens (from the biz card) but that's from a very musty memory.

The plats and golds cost money- I thought plat was about $175?? Do you have information that suggests they would waive the fee for AU as well as primary accounts?

Personally I would just not doing it because for $50 I'd rather not have the hassle, but this is the same way that I might broker MR if I was so inclined.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I forget the numbers now, but believe AU at Plat level is restricted to perhaps 5 people, then maybe 50'golds and 99 greens (from the biz card) but that's from a very musty memory.

The plats and golds cost money- I thought plat was about $175?? Do you have information that suggests they would waive the fee for AU as well as primary accounts?

Personally I would just not doing it because for $50 I'd rather not have the hassle, but this is the same way that I might broker MR if I was so inclined.
Fees are waived on Ameriprise first year. I *think* but not positive you can get global entry for AUs also.

Ameriprise Offer Amex Platinum

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I know, someone.. reminded me- but I was wondering if that applied to AUs also?
AFAIK-- I was considering this card but didn't need all the benefits and didn't want to muck around with Ameriprise--you can get everything the regular Plat gives you but the $450 fee is waived first year.

Amex Platinum

Edit: Language below for reinbursement of Global Entry for AUs--yes!
  • Each Additional Card on eligible Card accounts is also eligible for one statement credit every 5 years for an application fee. To receive the statement credit, the application fee must be charged on the eligible Additional Card.
Global Entry appointments at SFO are backed up until mid-December.

AU annual fee- I've been told by someone who got this card that AU AF was waived. I find language a bit murky, however, "Share the benefits of American Express Card membership by obtaining an Additional Card(s). $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175 for up to three Additional Cards and $175 for each Additional Card after the first three."

Ameripise --from the horse's mouth

Last edited:

shenxing

Level 0 Member
It seems pretty risky and not something I'd want to sell to a stranger.

How do you protect yourself against the buyer of the AU account running up charges or telling Amex about the sale of the account? Surely this sort of thing has to be against the TOS and would likely get you blacklisted, your points forfeited, etc.