New Chase Sapphire Card to Compete with Amex Plat/Citi Prestige?

Forty Too

Hey guys,

There's some chatter on the interwebs today about a new Sapphire card tier, either called the Reserve or Elite.

Two Reddit threads with rumors: here and here.

One source has it coming on August 21.

• The Sapphire Elite card will enter the market as a competitor to high end/premium travel cards like AMEX Plat and Citi Prestige. Expect an annual fee to match those cards or be in the same ballpark
  • The card will come with a 100k UR Point sign up bonus. Unclear on minimum spend needed to meet this requirement
  • Expect benefits to match AMEX Plat/Citi Prestige. Unclear on exact details
  • Exact earning structure unclear
  • Unclear if AF will be waived first year
Other source has it at 3x points on travel.

This card sounds pretty solid to me! Too bad it'll probably fall under 5/24.

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
More information via reddit/DoC:

Based on the language of the promotion itself and reddit discussion, it seems like there's a good possibility that the $300 air credit will be for all airline purchases (including airfare), rather than specifically for incidentals like the RC card. If that's the case there's a very compelling argument for anyone holding on to Citi Prestige to drop it for the Reserve if possible (either signing up or PCing another Chase card to it), especially with the nerf to Prestige coming next year.

mathlete

Level 2 Member
I am super excited about this card. I thought I was never going to be able to easily build up another huge Chase UR balance, but this will give me a fantastic boost.

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
It's live boys & girls!

I'm itching to apply for this but I'm currently past 2/30, so I'm going to have to wait a week at least before I can hit the button on this. There are some reports of people getting an instant approval on this card while past 5/24, so my fingers are crossed for this.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Not applying until I see bonus details. Some people reporting they spoke to Chase and NO bonus included. You MIGHT be able to match but it's quite the risk.

Xtina

weird, i dont see it available when i log into my account and search their cards. i do see a bonus for 2x on starbucks but thats not exactly the same...

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
Looks like someone at JPMorgan IT messed up and this got leaked just a bit early... link is now dead. Probably for the best anyways due to ambiguity on whether it had the bonus or not, but best to wait for official release next week.

DanG

More information via reddit/DoC:

Based on the language of the promotion itself and reddit discussion, it seems like there's a good possibility that the $300 air credit will be for all airline purchases (including airfare), rather than specifically for incidentals like the RC card. If that's the case there's a very compelling argument for anyone holding on to Citi Prestige to drop it for the Reserve if possible (either signing up or PCing another Chase card to it), especially with the nerf to Prestige coming next year.
From what I've heard - the $300 reimbursement is not just airfare, but "Travel" meaning hotels, taxis, etc. Should make it almost a cinch to get back almost accidentally throughout the year.

I applied for the hour that 100k bonus link was available. I was approved and confirmed the bonus is attached to the card. For that application, they did NOT enforce the 5/24 rule :) I rolled the dice ha

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
Lucky you :( I was over 2/30 when the card was leaked and will be until exactly the day it officially becomes available... hoping 5/24 won't apply by then.

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
Be patient my friend. The last link was just a leak, and the card will be officially released on Monday, so I'd just hold off until then.

Xtina

Be patient my friend. The last link was just a leak, and the card will be officially released on Monday, so I'd just hold off until then.
LOL! yes, you are so right. I was just curious. I suppose I can hang in another few days...thanks for making me laugh tho!

slowreactor

Level 2 Member
Looks like the online application will be available tomorrow, but any branch that's open today is already taking applications. Datapoints on Reddit & FT are showing live progress.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My wife and I both applied and got a response "Under Consideration." IS there anything we should do before we get this response in the mail? We will be out of the country for two weeks and they will reply by regular mail.

We have always been approved instantly for all cards. Is this a bad sign or do they just have so many applications?

This card would be perfect for our upcoming large cruise purchase as we would have over 800K Chase rewards points.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I am unlikely to be eligible for this card anytime soon. Last time I had counted, both my wife and I had close to a 2 card per month ratio going. But we're slowing down a bit! I'm in no hurry to try for this, although I want it, but my chances are way too slim.

Interesting that there seems to be a move from all premium cards to provide GE/PreCheck reimbursement. Since I got 2 GE refunds out of my AMEX Plat card awhile back, these just won't help me. I won't be seeing this as a plus for another 5 years or so.

I was also watching our application rate and noted that it is slowing. My wife's last Citi AA app, a couple of months ago, was denied bonus under the 24 month rule. So we're done there for her for 2 years. This was her 5th AA Platinum conversion but no points. I just recently got my latest with confirmed points. Yes, it is still working for me but it appears that too will be changing at the end of month (not enough time for another!). We have Citi clamping down, Chase working as everyone knows and AMEX with a once-per-lifetime rule. In a year or 2, 5/24 may not be so restrictive!

shenvatele

Level 2 Member
Just a heads up that I was right at 5/24 with 4 new Chase cards in the last 6 months and got approved for this card after calling the reconsideration line and moving some CL around. Was pleasantly surprised with the outcome!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
How many new accounts (other than this new one) has she had in the last 24 months?

$100,000 cruise?! Are you buying the boat?
That's the balance due. It's 141 day world cruise with everything included plus many extras. We took a suite because we are old and nobody to leave it to and besides it would be a long time to be cooped up in a tiny stateroom, though Viking isn't like Princess or Celebrity so all accommodations are decent.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I don't really keep track but she may be under, I don't always apply for her when I do for myself, though I guess you are supposed to do so.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
That's the balance due. It's 141 day world cruise with everything included plus many extras. We took a suite because we are old and nobody to leave it to and besides it would be a long time to be cooped up in a tiny stateroom, though Viking isn't like Princess or Celebrity so all accommodations are decent.
Kudos to you, sounds like an awesome trip. Enjoy!