Negative impact of financial review

Vad

Hello.

I want to share my recent experience with Amex financial review and ask for an advice.

In October I was approved for Amex biz gold offer. 75K MR point after 10K in spent.
I was able to charge about 8K on this card before mid-December.
In December I also applied and was approved for Amex Mercedes platinum card. I was planning to use its airline fee credit benefit before the end of the year. Even though I received it in a few days, I wasn't been able to use it in 2014 because all my account were already frozen by amex FR team.
Ironically, they put a hold on my accounts when I tried to purchase Amex gift cards to meet the minimum spent for Amex biz Gold.
Today they lifted the freeze without any changes to my accounts.
Some would think of it as a happy ending, but this incident had following negative consequences:
1. I was basically denied opportunity to use $200 airline fee credit benefits in 2014.
2. I was unable to meet minimum required spent for a signup bonus of 75K MR points.
3. I missed some lucrative amex offers.

What do you think would be the best way to ask them for a compensation for these negative effects of their review?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.

I want to share my recent experience with Amex financial review and ask for an advice.

In October I was approved for Amex biz gold offer. 75K MR point after 10K in spent.
I was able to charge about 8K on this card before mid-December.
In December I also applied and was approved for Amex Mercedes platinum card. I was planning to use its airline fee credit benefit before the end of the year. Even though I received it in a few days, I wasn't been able to use it in 2014 because all my account were already frozen by amex FR team.
Ironically, they put a hold on my accounts when I tried to purchase Amex gift cards to meet the minimum spent for Amex biz Gold.
Today they lifted the freeze without any changes to my accounts.
Some would think of it as a happy ending, but this incident had following negative consequences:
1. I was basically denied opportunity to use $200 airline fee credit benefits in 2014.
2. I was unable to meet minimum required spent for a signup bonus of 75K MR points.
3. I missed some lucrative amex offers.

What do you think would be the best way to ask them for a compensation for these negative effects of their review?
That sucks. Frankly, I'd get on the phone with them. I'd call up the Plat card member services, they have a certain amount of discretionary ability. Decide the value/best offer that you would accept in advance and talk with them. If you feel they listen to you but don't offer the right solution hang up and call again, or escalate to a supervisor.

Vad

Update. I called in and talked with supervisor but they only offered me 1000 points.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Update. I called in and talked with supervisor but they only offered me 1000 points.
Wow - I was offered 5000 for some silly customer service snafu... sorry to hear that! Maybe try again, or change to twitter, if neither works start writing a letter? It's the first I've heard of this. The big one clearly is the 75K and you have a valid claim to say that you weren't given the 90 days IMO.

fordman85

My biggest fear when I am using my Amex cards for big purchases is them putting me under FR. It is for that fear alone that sometimes I pass up on Amex signup offers or make BIG purchases on my present cards. The horror stories I have read in so many forums really puts me off and I don't want to go through the hassle of having to appease them and their requests. I guess reading too much has made me a little "Amex shy"

Jack

Keep Calm and Carry On
My biggest fear when I am using my Amex cards for big purchases is them putting me under FR. It is for that fear alone that sometimes I pass up on Amex signup offers or make BIG purchases on my present cards. The horror stories I have read in so many forums really puts me off and I don't want to go through the hassle of having to appease them and their requests. I guess reading too much has made me a little "Amex shy"
The typical FR is a phone call followed by an email with a form to print out and fax back to AMEX that allows AMEX to get the information off of your tax return from the IRS. It's annoying but not the end of the world. Cards are usually unfrozen within a week. The OP of this thread had the misfortune of getting FR while trying to meet a spend for bonus. That would indeed suck.

fordman85

Thanks for the input Jack. I never knew the exact process of it, but did know they pretty much dug into your finances. Even though I know I didn't lie to them about anything, I just feel like its a little intrusive for them to do that just because of big spending. I suppose if a really good sign up offer comes across my table one day, I may just have to shed that negative point of view.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
I hate FRs, so I don't MS on Amex...used to do it a while ago, but Amex is well known for issuing FRs, so I stay away...I don't even MS on my OBC