Need Clarification - bags during long layover?

Wings

Level 2 Member
I have a multi leg journey coming up and trying to figure out exactly what will happen with my checked baggage in a couple of scenarios.

DFW - LAX on AA
12 hour overnight layover then
LAX-HKG on CX
I'm assuming AA will keep my bags and xfer to CX?

MLE - AUH on Etihad
AUH-DFW on Etihad
I'm assuming Etihad will give me my bags in AUH because of TSA preclearance?

Thanks for any tips

sriki

Level 2 Member
I think you are correct.

I flew into SFO couple of days ago from HND on JAL. I collected my bags after immigration, went through customs and dropped off the bags at baggage recheck for US Airways (I had an 20-hr overnight stay in SFO).

smittytabb

Staff member
I have a multi leg journey coming up and trying to figure out exactly what will happen with my checked baggage in a couple of scenarios.

DFW - LAX on AA
LAX-HKG on CX
I'm assuming AA will keep my bags and xfer to CX?

MLE - AUH on Etihad
AUH-DFW on Etihad
I'm assuming Etihad will give me my bags in AUH because of TSA preclearance?

Thanks for any tips
If they will let you check it all the way, do it. I know recently AA said it would not check through on some carriers. I no longer recall which ones. So you usually have to pick up bags at first international city and recheck.

tweed85

AA and Etihad have a partnership agreement so maybe, but it's overnight so the connection is the next day so I would't be surprised if you have to re-check your bags.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
In December we had overnight layovers in both CLT (US>US) and YUL (AC>UA), and neither would keep our bags or check them through.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
This is great information. I have a trip in May, JFK-AUH-JNB on Etihad with 14 hours layover in AUH. Thanks all of you giving advice.

Just came back from AUH. It was a short trip DFW-IAD-AUH-IAD-DFW.