Most bang for your buck at Amazon?

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
If you happen to have some credit at Amazon, how do you get the most bang for your buck? I know that Amazon isn't always a low-price retailer and in fact can sometimes be expensive compared to other places. So what do you buy at Amazon, and how do you buy it?

[Matt--wasn't sure where to put this thread, please move if there's a better place.]

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've no idea either :)

Fair question though. Personally I use Amazon almost exclusively for kindle books- I have a library option too, but when it isn't listed I'll buy from there.

tly

Level 2 Member
Their lightning deals are generally good - there were a couple of luggage sets today.

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
I'm willing to pay a smidge more for the convenience of Amazon, and they're my "go-to" for liquidating the last couple of cents on gift cards.

AU1

Level 2 Member
You can use the camelcamelcamel and PriceBlink extensions to check if Amazon's price is good compared to the past and to other retailers.
Additionally, whenever I go shopping at Walmart or Target, I scan each item with the Amazon app before I put it in my cart, to see if they sell it for less.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
We're Amazon Prime members, and aren't members of Costco. So we find Amazon valuable for a couple things:

* Items in bulk
* Really heavy items!

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
We're Amazon Prime members, and aren't members of Costco. So we find Amazon valuable for a couple things:

* Items in bulk
* Really heavy items!
As a student, Amazon Prime comes in handy because A. It's cheaper. B. Sometimes I don't have to leave my place :p C. I'm cost conscious.

PedroNY

Level 2 Member

* Items in bulk
* Really heavy items!
Yes REALLY HEAVY ITEMS that are not discounted anywhere.

First example, 200 pound Weber Grill that was shipped to me in 3 days for free with Amazon Prime. It was priced the same at every single store, they do not allow discount pricing.

Second example, free weights -- 100s of pounds of cast iron metal in a dumbbell form were delivered to me in 2 days, free shipping. I did search for these items on craigslist, but I could not get what I needed at a discount price.

Cheers,

PedroNY

LoriB

Level 2 Member
You can use the camelcamelcamel and PriceBlink extensions to check if Amazon's price is good compared to the past and to other retailers.
Additionally, whenever I go shopping at Walmart or Target, I scan each item with the Amazon app before I put it in my cart, to see if they sell it for less.
I am always using the Amazon app to scan toys at Target and most of the time they are much cheaper on Amazon. Not by like a dollar but by$10 or more. My son has learned the phrase, "Can I put it on my list for Amazon?" lol!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Has anyone tried the "tell us you found a lower price" & gotten Amazon to PM a lower price from another retailer?

ACL

Level 2 Member
Amazon is significantly cheaper if you buy used stuff from 3rd party sellers. Is that not an option? During college I was usually able to spend less than $20 or so a semester on buying books used on Amazon and then selling them back at the end of the year. I also love buying older video games on Amazon as you can get them for between $5 and $10 many times if they are older and not in high demand. I guess you'd want to be more careful of buying things like expensive electronics and whatnot from 3rd parties or people re-selling.

Panache

Level 2 Member
We have Prime but are considering dropping it now that the price went up and they started charging sales tax. The movie selection is pretty sucky , wife mostly likes it for the kindle library. 2 Day shipping is nice and saving time/fuel by shopping at home is worth it for some items vs driving to big box stores.

jmw

Level 2 Member
Another way to get good value is to get 15% off with subscribe and save. It used to be 20% off with Amazon Mom but they axed that. If you had Amazon Mom and S&S, look in your email for a $30 coupon to use on S&S as a goodwill gesture for losing the 5%.

Reactions: ACL