#milemadness Do Part Deux West Coast Ideas

Haley

I am not a robot
High School graduation for next 6-8 hours.
It is a ritualized form of torture that I force my kids to participate in, for the photos.

So I'm hoping you mean Saturday when you say "end of week."
Or Monday or anything not tonight.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
High School graduation for next 6-8 hours.
It is a ritualized form of torture that I force my kids to participate in, for the photos.

So I'm hoping you mean Saturday when you say "end of week."
Or Monday or anything not tonight.
Not tonight... I was away yesterday and they didn't get back to me. Chasing them down today but not got a reply yet. I think the hotel is getting annoyed at the haggling :)

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Not tonight... I was away yesterday and they didn't get back to me. Chasing them down today but not got a reply yet. I think the hotel is getting annoyed at the haggling :)
Will keep my fingers crossed that you win the negotiation. ;)

saianel

Level 2 Member
What should be the most important thingfs to consider in my opinion:

1. Easy access aka hub city
2. Good transportation options. Am I the only who doesn't like to rent a car when traveling?
3. Walking distance restaurants, bars and MS opportunities.
4. No Airport hotels; they're kinda in boring parts of the city.

I think we need a city with a lively and walkable downtown that's easy to access.

IMHO SD, SF, SEA, New Orleans, Austin sorta satisfy many of these conditions.

Haley

I am not a robot
If I were to guess, I'd say Seattle.
AUS would be a nice call for #3 (;
East, West, SXSW.

AIM

Level 2 Member
Not great MS opportunities in SEA sadly. Also the hotels are super expensive and full over the summer, if that's when DO #2 is. It's great for the other requirements though.

Haley

I am not a robot
Why do people not get the request to "Don't worry about the location"?
:p

Why do people pretend they have authority, take quotes out of context to change their tone, and make frivolous reprimands?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Mine is that it was the let down upon realizing the activity on the thread wasn't the big announce.
Also.
I'm going to change my guess to LAX area, just for fun. :cool:

(I used the emoticon to indicate that I'm just poking fun at grumpydeltaguy) (who has a great tag line)

Haley

I am not a robot
I am not followimg what you are saying. Are you saying i should not have made my comments?
No, I'm just bored and slightly snarky.
Location can be anywhere, I'm in if I can get in quick enough, I predict a quick sell out.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Announce it already. WN is having a sale and might help some people.
My contact went dark on me, I am trying to reach them to confirm final details. I don't want to announce anything that I have to change.

As for helping people out - if people can't to the location at a completely insignificant cost then they really need to come and bring a notepad.

WirelessP

Level 2 Member
My contact went dark on me, I am trying to reach them to confirm final details. I don't want to announce anything that I have to change.

As for helping people out - if people can't to the location at a completely insignificant cost then they really need to come and bring a notepad.
Matt, Brit English must be beyond my ken. Care to repeat in American? :))))

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, Brit English must be beyond my ken. Care to repeat in American? :))))
Sorry - multi -multi tasking today, language skills aren't the best :)

I'm in the process of wrapping up a location but the person who is my catering/corp contact at the hotel has gone dark, traveling or whatnot, so I haven't been able to finalize agreements with them.

The other part means we are talking about a knowledge sharing conference where people will be making thousands per month in profit - if you are already then traveling there shouldn't be an issue, and if you aren't, then traveling there is a really good investment at any price!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I'll gladly supply any needed notepads if the hotel doesn't. On the other hand, saving points is nice and those of us likely to fly WN could do so if there is an announcement by Thursday.

Even so, better to get it done right than done now.

Haley

I am not a robot
Just crossing my fingers that I don't have a conflict. There is only one unmovable weekend this Fall, and I will be on the East Coast so no way to even pop in. Sept 25-28 would be the only dates I can not do.

I have a few other things booked, but those are just for fun and I can cancel.

Last edited:

Trevor

Level 2 Member

LOL...exactly my initial thought also.

EdDoc99

Level 2 Member
I hope I'll be in town for this one--I was gone for the first one. I really look forward to participating.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Patience, patience - I'll be gone for the weekend, so hoping you won't announce then. ;)
You'll be fine. The guys we were finalizing with pulled some surprise fees so I am shopping around to make sure we offer the very best for our money. We may stick with these guys, but being extra sure now. No announcements til next week earliest unfortunately, but I can tell you that the next DO will be a lot bigger and better - not in terms of participant numbers, but in terms of how much fun it will be!

holidaygirl

Level 2 Member
I am looking forward to attending the next event. I am hoping the spirit and intimacy of the event does not change; I read such good things about the first DO. I would appreciate if there was time between presentations to discuss. Thanks for organizing!

Viet Travelers

Level 2 Member
SFO seems like a great choice: location and transportation. Downtown SF is very easy to access from the airport. You do not need to rent a car.
SJC is another choice, although I do not know the cost for an event. I've seen a lot of financial educators holding workshop at the Double Tree near SJC. Hotels in Silicon Valley are not that expensive and very easy to get on points. But you may need to rent a car to get around, or you can Uber or Lyft.

But I'm looking forward to the next meet-up. :)

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Keep the size, around 100-120 people. Find a similar not-too-big hotel. It felt like the milemadness event owned the Hyatt House CLT, and that was awesome. While LAS is not quite the West coast, it has great access to nearly everywhere and is convenient to our West coast friends.
Second the idea of keeping the group small. I thoroughly enjoyed the CharlotteDO and especially loved meeting and chatting so many truly interesting individuals! My husband commented that he enjoyed that conference more than any he had ever attended (and he has attended many!) and he wasn't even that involved in MS, just came to keep me company. Truly a very special weekend!

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the points for the DO, and instilling terror into my heart :)

I'd certainly like to bring some more finance aspects, I wonder if we need to split that up, or at least have a clear schedule in advance so people know what they are getting themselves into.
I like the idea of a cost/benefit analysis of the various MS techniques being used, as I think that would be helpful to a number of individuals. It's sometimes temping to think of MS as a way to get a "free" flight, hotels, etc., but in reality there is (usually) a cost to generate those reward points. For the most part, most of us are not receiving these items for free; we are receiving a discount on the items we "pay" for with our MS generated rewards and need to constantly evaluate the cost/benefit of a particular activity to insure we are achieving our objectives.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
The guys we were finalizing with pulled some surprise fees so I am shopping around to make sure we offer the very best for our money. We may stick with these guys, but being extra sure now.
I hope you share some of the details about the negotiation process and the surprise fees.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This is like waiting for a baby to show up.
Well that did happen in the middle of all this, as did a house move! I am sorry... I have literally being haggling with hotels across the West Coast trying to find the best deal all around.

This next event is going to be different from the last, it will be something really spectacular!

Maria Sangria

Level 51
Well that did happen in the middle of all this, as did a house move! I am sorry... I have literally being haggling with hotels across the West Coast trying to find the best deal all around.

This next event is going to be different from the last, it will be something really spectacular!
All in jest. You've got your hands full.