Miami Area Tips

projectx

Level 2 Member
I'm planning a family trip to Miami. We're looking for a beach trip and with Biscane and Everglades NP nearby (not to mention direct flights) it looks like a good fit. The cast is myself, wife, two sons (ages 6 and 3), and daughter (age 3). We're looking for a beach resort/hotel. While I'm mainly looking at Miami Beach, I'm also open to other areas nearby (Ft Lauderdale, Key Largo).

My wife is a teacher so unfortunately our options are limited to Christmas, spring break, or summer. Christmas is out, and for spring break I don't want to be around a bunch of drunken college students. That leaves us with summer. So we're looking at June. Blazing hot, but it is what it is. I am however concerned about the rain. Is it as bad as it sounds?

Anyway, I'm looking for hotel recommendations. So far I have a bit of sticker shock, but can MS my way to cover most or all of it. We'd like something on the beach, with quick, cheap eats nearby, preferably within walking distance. I'm looking to keep the nightly rate under $250 to $300. Any recommendations? Does such a place even exist in this area? :D

Any other family friendly tips for this area is also appreciated. Thanks in advance!

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Hotel rates will definitely drop in the summer but you might be better off with an AirB&B. I'd choose South Beach over Ft. Lauderdale any day. Nothing to really do outside of Ft. Lauderdale in and of itself. In Miami you've got the Seaquarium, the Planetarium, the Zoo (a long ride away), and all of SoBe in and of itself. With 3 small kids you might want to stay over on the beach side, just to make schlepping them around easier.

Xingu Bob

projectx, You can most definitely MS to a stay in Miami. Depending on which hotel/bank credit cards you hold, most have decent properties for a family in Miami. I have used IHG points for stays at the Crowne Plaza S. Beach Z, however there are much cheaper award properties available. Probably the easiest to MS would be Carlson's family oriented properties using their 5X for all purchases credit card. Use the card to buy Simon Mall Visa cards and cash out with MO's at a local grocery store. The 5X adds up quickly and Carlson's 3 or 4 for 2 nights is a bonus.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Xingu,
Where are there Club Carlson properties on Miami Beach? I didn't see any. My plan right now is to get the Arrival and MS points on it to give myself maximum flexibility.

Xingu Bob

Xingu,
Where are there Club Carlson properties on Miami Beach? I didn't see any. My plan right now is to get the Arrival and MS points on it to give myself maximum flexibility.
You are correct, none on the beach but several in Miami area. Good luck with the Arrival.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

You are correct, none on the beach but several in Miami area. Good luck with the Arrival.
Maybe I'm missing something but the only hotel that comes up on CC's website is in Kendall. OP you DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT to stay in Kendall.

carlos

Level 2 Member
look for anything in South Beach, you can take taxi to hotel and stay there the entire vacation without needing a rental car, anywhere else you will need to drive. If you have Ritz Carlton point then property in Key Biscayne is the best but its VERY expensive