Maxed out amex slots

Walmero

Level 2 Member
If you are already maxing out your number of amex cards, is it preferable to apply for a new card and, assuming approval, then let them offer to cancel one of your existing cards, or should you cancel first, wait a while (how long?) then apply for new?

Andres

Level 2 Member
Couldn't you then call recon and asked to close one card and get the new one instead?

Edit: Do AU cards count against your max of 4 personal Amex cards? I'm guessing no but want to confirm.

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Couldn't you then call recon and asked to close one card and get the new one instead?

Edit: Do AU cards count against your max of 4 personal Amex cards? I'm guessing no but want to confirm.
From what I've read and IME you can have way more than 4 AUs... That is what I am wondering... The most efficient order of operations to ensure success. Like how long after closing a 4th card is it "safe" to app another, etc?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
AU cards don't count. Only personal credit and business credit cards count (personal and business charge cards do not count).

I would close one before applying for a new one. Close, wait a day or two, apply for new card.