Malaysian Airlines & Air Asia

sriki

Level 2 Member
So, next week, I will be on a trip to Asia where I will taking a Malaysian airlines flights from SIN to KUL and then in 2 days an Air Asia flight from KUL to India.

In light of the recent flight disappearances, I am just thinking WTH.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I've flown MH right over the area where MH370 deviated off course, prior to that happening. Had a fantastic flight. I'd still fly Malaysia Airlines, or AirAsia (or any of its various subsidiaries). But of course, it remains difficult and tragic whenever a serious incident occurs.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I flew MH a few weeks ago. Excellent flight and service. Air Asia I'd avoid because of the seats, not cuz of incidents. They are late often, and a bit tiny for a big guy, in my experience (admittedly a few years ago).

Genuine Cheer

Level 2 Member
I have had nothing but good experiences onboard MH flights. Their lounge at KUL left something to be desired, but that says nothing of in-air safety. I am probably going to take MH as part of an upcoming trip to Asia, and honestly will probably take AirAsia as well, because it goes where we want to go cheaply.

Driving is far more dangerous in most places served by AirAsia than flying.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I would not hesitate in flying either of them. I say this with no disrespect, but I tend to roll my eyes at those that do.

kampung

Level 2 Member
Being a Malaysian, i may sound biased, but i will not bat a eyelid to take MH or Air Asia again, especially from a safety standpoint. Remember, until 10 months ago, neither airline had had a major crash (which many other premium airlines have) so i wont be too concerned about the safety of flying them. Of course for MH to have to 2 tragedies within 4 mths and both in a very abnormal way is indeed hard to digest; add to that AAsia crash 3 weeks ago, makes its a tough year for Malaysian aviation.

AAsia is great for trips in SEA, as often they are the cheapest, though of late newcomers like Malindo Air are appearing to be a formidable threat (lets see if they will last).
FOr those who havent flown AAsia, they are just like Ryanair, Jet2.

As for MH, agree their MH Golden lounge is not that great (compared to SQ or THai) but its comparable if not better than many of the American airlines lounges that i've been to. However their hard product is still not up to par with their peers (SQ, Cathay etc) as most of their long haul flights in biz class still do not have lie-flat bed, which is almost a standard now.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I took those flights and am still alive.

FYI, my initial post was more of a funny/weird coincidence situation that I was in than really being concerned about those airline's safety record.