Luggage Logistics - What to do with Bags While Exploring During a Long Wait

knick1959

Level 2 Member
This issue comes up for us on occassion, and an upcoming "opportunity" at first seemed like a waste of time. But we can make something of this.

I'll talk specifics about my trip, but generalizations are welcome, too. I have a related question about bringing home way more that you take with you ... another topic.

On a hectic return home next month from a long trip I scheduled an overnight in Washington; flying in and out of Dulles (IAD). We're currently scheduled to leave Dulles at 5:25PM, leaving us with tons of time to do something. Someone suggested the Smithsonian Air&Space overflow facility right at the airport. Actually, this sounds perfect.

But what do we do with our luggage for 6 or more hours?

We won't have a car, although I am not opposed to renting one for the day, and this was my first thought. How early can be actually check our bags, and will it seem suspicious if we check in, deposit our bags, then leave the airport? This still leaves us with carry-ons, which is still problematic.

Any creative ideas for stowing bags while trying to make the most out of a long wait?

Thanks in advance.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Are both flights on the same airline? If so, you probably can just check in for the next flight after clearing security.

But, if not, see if they have luggage storage anywhere. Schiphol, in AMS, has lockers by the train station. We had a ten hour layover one beautiful April day, stored our luggage, and went to eat lunch in the dntn sunshine, and do some sightseeing.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Luggage storage (aka left luggage) at the airport. I've used it throughout the world and always found one when needed, though I have not used it in the US.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
US airports usually do not have luggage storage because of security concerns.

Many Smithsonian museums have coat and package checkrooms; that is probably more fruitful. My guess is that a lot of their visitors are layovers and they are used to this kind of request. Call them or search on the internet.

chicago2world

Level 2 Member
Whether or not you're allowed to check your bags for your onward flight at Dulles depends on the amount of time before your next departure. Have you looked at "checking them through" - so that you would not have to claim your bags at Dulles? Many airlines have agreements that allow them to transfer baggage. On both matters, call the airline to find out.

One thing I've done to temporarily hold luggage is to use the bell desk at airport hotels, which are either attached to the airport or free to get to using the hotel shuttle bus. Most don't ask whether you have a reservation at the hotel - they're happy to take a tip to hold your luggage. If you find that you do need a reservation to have them hold your luggage, make a cancellable reservation 1-2 days out, check your luggage, then...cancel the reservation.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Thanks for all of the ideas ... I now have more options that I thought up myself.

In fact, the 2 Copa flights to IAD and the United flight home to Cleveland ARE on the same award ticket. So there's a good chance we can check bags all the way through and pack a change of clothes in out carryon stuff. I'm guessing, but I will check into this. I just assumed that for an overnight (is this technically a stopover? 1am until 5:25PM on the same day?) you had to pick up your luggage.

I'll call around, too, and chase some of the other suggestions offered. Thanks again.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
US airports usually do not have luggage storage because of security concerns.

Many Smithsonian museums have coat and package checkrooms; that is probably more fruitful. My guess is that a lot of their visitors are layovers and they are used to this kind of request. Call them or search on the internet.
I just called. They (the airport museum) have locking lockers that fit a normal size carry on. As long as we can check out bags early, we should be all set. I was told each locker is a quarter, but the quarter is returned when you get your luggage out! Thanks for the suggestion.