Looking for Availability

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
I am hoping someone can tell me if there is availability for Business Class on 6/16/15 from Brussels to IAD on United. Second, how did you do that? How do I find availability on United without going through their website which doesn't always show everything. I am arriving via Brussels Airlines and will be at the Brussels Airport arriving at 8:45 AM

Thanks for your help

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Have you looked at partner availability, on the partner sites? That's one way; find it, then call UA and say, "I see there is availability on Airline X, flight A100, for this date/time. Do you show it in your system?"

Or, skip the lookup, and just ask for availability on any flights on your date. You may need to keep calling, or to book something in a lower cabin, and upgrade (calling regularly) once the upper cabin opens nearer the date. Which, you know, it probably will.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
I actually have two seats in economy on this flight and was looking to upgrade. Originally I was on Brussels Airlines all the way through. Then a few months ago I noticed that Brussel made a change to my itinerary and had me flying from Brussels to IAD the day before I was to fly from LIN to Brussels. Quickly UAL forced open these two seats for us and now I am wondering about flying Business class. Thanks for getting back to me

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Ok. So, are your current seats on UA? There probably are no biz seats at the moment.

And, there probably will be, closer to the date. Just call early in the morning to prevent being on hold forever, on a daily basis. Ask if any biz seats have opened up. The CSRs will get to know you, and, when the seats open, they'll want to help.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
Yes, current seats on UAL. So are you saying that I shouldn't look now to see if they have any but instead wait until I am in Europe, closer to the date and then call?

smittytabb

Staff member
I am not as experienced with *A as OW, but a lot of people think United's site is not bad. I would cross reference ANA and Aeroplan to see what you can find on those sites. I think the rule of thumb is that more seats do open up close in to the time you would be flying. My own experience is that I use skype to call if I am out of the country, but it can be a pain. Sometimes if you are in Europe you can check there calling the local numbers. Generally speaking though I think we have better customer service here, so I would probably still call a U.S. number while abroad. I also have a paid subscription to Expert Flyer, but it no longer has all the Star Alliance partners or United even anymore. It is more One World friendly.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
http : //www . dansdeals.com/archives/38212

Read this. Then read it again. It is still sometimes possible. Its known as Plan B United awards. Basically, you get first shot on the flight you are on at a biz class seat. I haven't done it but friends have in the past and it worked very well for them. YMMV, obviously, but certainly worth the shot. Keep calling till you find an agent willing to do it.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member

Read this. Then read it again. It is still sometimes possible. Its known as Plan B United awards. Basically, you get first shot on the flight you are on at a biz class seat. I haven't done it but friends have in the past and it worked very well for them. YMMV, obviously, but certainly worth the shot. Keep calling till you find an agent willing to do it.
I had heard about that and forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I had heard about that and forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

That is a wonderful idea! I used my method to get upgraded seats on a return flight from VCE with partner award tickets from AK Air on DL flight. I called every couple of weeks for two months, then weekly for two months, then daily. About four weeks prior to the date of the flight, while I was still here, biz opened up for award seats.

But, to my knowledge, DL doesn't let you waitlist yourself; for certain they wouldn't allow it for a partner award.