Looking at India (Award flights in Biz)

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I have 2020 all planned out (and booked), but was recently inspired to plan a visit to a couple of National Parks in India to try and see tigers in the wild. That, and there are plenty of cities and even more history there to try to squeeze in. I have this penciled in for April 2021 (allegedly a good month for Tiger sightings). I did some preliminary searching and I know there has to be something I'm missing. Anyone have a suggestion for J flights?

I have (or will have by May 2020 for booking purposes), loosely:

UR 320k+
Alaska - 238k+244k
AMEX MR - 313k+ + 232k+
American - 577k+ 628k
BA - 62k

Handfuls elsewhere and some Marriott points (149k). Can focus on what might help until then and will likely have MANY MORE AMEX MR than above.

Any interesting angles (un-obvious American or United partners)? TIA.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I went through my previous notes (from a couple of months ago) and walked through some of my saved blog posts related to flights to India. It sounded like there are many options, and perhaps there are. But on first look, not so much. I'm not worried. Plenty of time to look. But I do have some comments.

One article suggested Cathay Pacific was a good option. The 2 long flights we took on CX were wonderful. But we were basically going to Hong Kong. Going thru HKG to get to India is "the long way" from CLE ... where "east coast" is more of a reality. CX was also suggested when I was looking for flights back to Africa (already booked for next fall). But again, not really practical from the "east coast" ... or at least not ideal.

I did find one prototype flight on UA ... and in theory this might be considered ideal. But experience make it not the case. You don't mind if I reminisce a bit, do you? There is a decently timed flight to Mumbai via Cairo on Egypt Air in J. We would take this in the end if that was all there was. But we flew these guys back from our first Africa trip and, so far, it was the least impressive trip in J we've had. It wasn't terrible but service, plane tidiness and perceived attitudes put us off a bit. With that in mind we actually opted for a flight home from JNB next October on Ethiopian Air. Same award price but overall 5 hours longer and a later arrival time (forcing an overnight in JFK before getting home). I would have done the shorter flight, but my wife really doesn't like Egypt Air (and she has a valid, if not minor, reason).

I wonder how many would actually try to avoid an airline in this manner. Again, it wasn't terrible, but on most flights we get to feel like royalty. Based mostly on one of a 2 leg flight, we didn't get that same feeling. Anyway ... So we are traveling both ways to JNB next fall on Ethiopian Air. We enjoyed our previous flights with them ... liked trying their food, except it was perhaps too much on 2 J flights with a short overlay between.

I checked Alaska and after eliminating the BA flights, there were some things to watch but everything I saw offered currently had that silly "mixed cabin" icon on the column; long haul flights in coach but still called biz. Still poking around. Thanks for listening.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I decided to search The Google for reviews of Egypt Air. It seems our experience was relatively normal. There are plenty of people who rate them low relative to the norm.

I also found some promising options on Turkish Air ... well, at least one, but since I can't really book for several months, this seems to be the flight to watch. The flight I saw has a 14 hour layover in Istanbul. Wow. I'll have to read up on stopover rules (Aeroplan one-ways), but Istanbul is on the to-do list as way more than a stop over. Still ... a potential quick preview? Maybe not, there's always way too much to try to see in India. Haven't checked AA and partners yet ...

knick1959

Level 2 Member
It was pointed out via PM (thanks!) that India is HOT starting in April and for the next few months ... while I don't think I actually checked, April is still the claimed best time to see tigers in the parks. Why? Because it IS hot and dry and all animals hang out at whatever watering holes/source they can find. For that very reason, this is still the time we will likely visit. To me this means, perhaps, less city seeing and focus on the parks and hopeful sightings. Cities can and may have to wait for another trip timed for at least somewhat more comfortable weather. We are likely to still see some of non-park India ... but I know we'll owe the country a second visit if not more anyway.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Where are you flying into? Etihad is a nice J option from east coast to India via AUH, and available with AA miles.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Where are you flying into? Etihad is a nice J option from east coast to India via AUH, and available with AA miles.
Thanks! Not that far yet ... the parks we want to go to I know; the cities are secondary but a PM suggested the option you just mentioned in/out of Delhi and/or Mumbai? All options still being considered. We do want to see some city sights, but realize we're going at a hot, hot time (best chances of seeing tigers in the parks). Best for tiger viewing but not so great for human comfort and hygiene!

AA would have been a great choice ... but there are things happening there and I'll have to wait to see the end result (the other active thread here explains my situation in great detail). Fortunately the booking window for this trip doesn't open until May, so I should have an idea of what the longer-term looks like.