Load prepaid gift cards to Amazon to get rid of small balances

asthejoeflies

Staff member

Here’s a quick hit for your Sunday morning. Maybe you knew this already or maybe someone wrote about this already, in which case why didn’t you tell me?

Anyway, I loaded $150 of Amazon gift cards this morning (compensation for my Delta delay this month) and when I was done I noticed this graphic:

It’s extremely likely that I knew this once and forgot. Regardless, I had a Staples prepaid card worth $7.98 (printer paper rebate) just sitting around so I figured I’d try it out. It’s an extremely straightforward process.

First, after starting at the above page, I clicked “Reload your Balance”. I then added my payment card in as a payment method, which annoyed, but oh well.

I then needed to input my billing address; I just used my home address. My guess is for some prepaid cards you need to actually register them, though I haven’t played around with that. After that, I just reloaded my balance normally using my new card for exactly $7.98. After that, I was told it might take up to five minutes. It indeed took five minutes!

Anyway, one less tiny gift card denomination for me to worry about. When I was heavy into 5backs, I’d find myself with all sorts of random denominations left on my cards because I’d use the 5back for walking around money. I’d always end up draining with multiple swipes but that was kind of annoying. So it’s good to have another source, especially one I can use at home!

If you find yourself with prepaid cards that have sort of useless balances on them and want to save the headache, Amazon is a simple way to deal with that. Just don’t forget to delete the payment method after so your payment list doesn’t get too cumbersome! Now go enjoy your Sunday.

Continue reading...