Lap Infant Travel

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks,

As some might know, my first lap infant trip occurs next month, am heading to PHX for the DO and bringing the Family. I'm flying AA1281 (out of EWR but it seems to be AA, I was expected US..) and we have only got two seats at this time.

Looking for some advice on strategy here:

When is the best time to add the Baby to the itinerary? Should it be done at the airport, or prior? Does one increase the chance of a seat reallocation to get a free third seat? There is award space available, and I am on the fence about booking a seat for him.

I have a bunch more travel coming up, but wanted to start with this, and look forward to hearing any tips.

Cheers,
Matt

manicsocks

Level 2 Member
I've done it both ways with our daughter. Added her shortly after booking on AA in business class transpacific, transcon, and then from DFW to LAX. The ticket agent offered to block a seat for our daughter on DFW-LAX, but we didn't take it because she was too young; we were never offered a seat on the longer flights on AA. In economy, I've been successful getting her a seat when I wait til the last minute at the ticket counter 3 out of 4 times. The two times I flew economy with her and did call in beforehand to add her, I was unsuccessful in getting a seat for her.

I don't think any of this can be turned into a theory, but I think my superstition from now on with AA will be to add the child at the check in instead of making prior arrangement. Also, for what it's worth I'm gold on AA.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've done it both ways with our daughter. Added her shortly after booking on AA in business class transpacific, transcon, and then from DFW to LAX. The ticket agent offered to block a seat for our daughter on DFW-LAX, but we didn't take it because she was too young; we were never offered a seat on the longer flights on AA. In economy, I've been successful getting her a seat when I wait til the last minute at the ticket counter 3 out of 4 times. The two times I flew economy with her and did call in beforehand to add her, I was unsuccessful in getting a seat for her.

I don't think any of this can be turned into a theory, but I think my superstition from now on with AA will be to add the child at the check in instead of making prior arrangement. Also, for what it's worth I'm gold on AA.
I've actually heard that theory before - but was a bit worried about rocking up with the baby and no 'ticket' even though they wouldn't have one! Going to give it a go and will report back.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I've generally added beforehand. But I think we showed up with her once. But I think at your son's age you don't really need the extra seat, at least for us she was just knocked out all the time

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I know the Do has passed, but this may be of assistance to others in the future.

When my daughter was researching flights to MSP from VCE, in coach, she learned that the best chance of getting a bulkhead seat with infant bassinet was on Air France.

Both ways, she and her husband were assigned different rows. Both ways, the person assigned to sit next to her willingly moved. (Hmmmm. The thought of a transatlantic flight with a baby probably had nothing to do with it, right?) But they got the bulkhead, and the bassinet.

With the baby big enough to get himself up to stand in the bassinet, obviously one or the other had to stay awake. But at least he could lie down somewhere other than on a lap for sleeping.