Kimpton acquired by IHG! Why I think it is great news

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I just received an email from Kimpton to inform me that IHG has acquired them. This is interesting news since IHG themselves were the subject of a failed acquisition just a few months ago, as SPG made a bid for them.

Often, as a consumer, mergers and acquisitions are bad things. It is typically the more efficiently run operation that is able to acquire the less efficient operation – in the world of luxury that means ‘cut backs’. However, sometimes it makes sense. It really depends on how the acquisition takes place, but IHG has the opportunity to build out the niche boutique brand here, and could relabel certain properties on a global basis to the Kimpton name – this would be a win for consumers as Kimpton is otherwise limited to North America.

That said, overall I would imagine the loyalty programs would be merged, which would be a bad thing for Kimpton Elites. Kimpton recently rolled out the Karma award program, with 4 tiers of Elite, their top level ‘Inner Circle’ gets some great perks.

Ultimately I think many of these will be removed as the programs align, but that said, providing that Inner Circle members are matched across to the IHG top level (Ambassador) then I think that the expanded hotel options is well worth the price. It tends to take some time to align loyalty programs, and there is no talk of when this will happen with the Kimpton/IHG merger. Personally I will not be earning more Kimpton nights, but if they merge while I am still Inner Circle then I think I’ll be pretty happy about the whole thing.

Lastly, IHG was my next co-branded card to get, Kimpton doesn’t have have a credit card, and these are great ways to top up your points and take that well earned annual family trip….

So, here’s hoping for a good merger, and at the end of it holding top tier status with IHG and a co-branded credit card with which to book rooms.

It’s worth noting, if I was the type of person who paid his own money to earn Inner Circle status and was actually ‘loyal’ to a company I’d likely be annoyed by this turn of events. But buying into loyalty to a company is plain dumb. I’ll take a free market economy thank you!

The post Kimpton acquired by IHG! Why I think it is great news appeared first on Travel.

Continue reading...

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Interesting news. I'm not sure whether you are an accurate judge--although you may well be--of how Kimpton treats Inner Circle folks who have matched differently than those who have "paid his own money" for status. Fine if that's their policy but I find it annoying they pretend all Inner Circle status is the same. Meh--I'm leaving my jelly beans and going home.:(

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting news. I'm not sure whether you are an accurate judge--although you may well be--of how Kimpton treats Inner Circle folks who have matched differently than those who have "paid his own money" for status. Fine if that's their policy but I find it annoying they pretend all Inner Circle status is the same. Meh--I'm leaving my jelly beans and going home.:(
I received:

Welcome Amenity on arrival
Raid the Bar card
2 Gifts each day (Jelly Beans from Room service and little snacks like nuts etc)
Suite upgrade

So I think they treat them the same.

Not everyone got an upgrade because that is mathematically impossible with the number of suites they had...if you got the others, I'm pretty sure you were treated as well as the others.

It's all irrelevant however, since the programs are merging.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
What didn't you get?
I've put this behind me but all I can say is that my Kimpton stay was weird:

I arrived early Fri, shortly after 2P, asked for an upgrade was told there were none--"not everyone gets those" but was assured "my pet-friendly room would be available soon." I informed them I wanted the exact opposite-- a "pet-free" room and the CSR (it was her very first day at Kimpton) went behind closed doors, returned and told me "my profile requested pet friendly." After assuring her I wanted pet-free she said she checked, said she could accommodate me.

A couple hours later when I check in and didn't get a gift bag I inquired and was told (by the same CSR)-- "everyone doesn't get the same thing." I was put in the back building with a view of the parking lot and was told there was nothing else available. (I wasn't looking for a suite, just a better location!) I'd previously DM'd with Kimpton Twitter and had been told the same thing-- the weekend is "difficult," and "not everything is available, check with the front desk."

I arrived in my room and did have a cheese plate (Welcome Amenity?) and the coffeemaker I'd requested along with two bottles of water next to it. In speaking to folks at the evening reception some folks told mentioned champagne, others had wine in their rooms/gift bags. I double checked my Kimpton profile, found it*did*specify not only "fur free" but I'd added a note for "pet-free", profile also included champagne and wine--called the front desk , they said check tomorrow, no idea. Later that same evening I received a phone call saying "the chef would like to send something to my table." What? I'm in my room, do you want to send it up? "Hold on, let me check, never mind." I found that just a little bit weird.

Saturday I received two gifts-- a small box of candy and a small bottle of wine. Others I spoke to --at this point I'm really curious and asking folks and looking at your twitter pix--received two gifts and one of the gifts was a large fancy box with nut and candy. Sunday I received glass jar of jelly beans, that's it. Three nights --cheese plate, small box of candy, jelly beans and small bottle of wine and raid the bar card.

When I checked out I got another surprise. I'd ordered a drink while waiting for my room with the understanding I'd give my room number to the bartender as soon as I checked in which I did. I was double charged for that glass of wine. I was charged either $4.95 or $5.95 each (can''t remember) for two bottled water and when I inquired I was told it was for the water I'd used for the coffee--that's just tacky. There was a small sign on their re-hydration product indicating a charge for it but nothing on the water AND other folks were provided small bottles of water for free. Oh, well-- I did have my raid the bar card...Kimpton giveth, Kimpton taketh.

Is this the famous Kimpton "love"? I was not impressed. I'd been told several times that "not everyone is the same" (I asked directly if status match IC was the same as regular IC). I'm reporting my experience, my first Kimpton visit, I didn't make it up. I think it's fine if Kimpton wants to treat folks with paid stays differently than those who status match (and I realize most of the DO attendees were probably status matched--maybe it depends on the chain you status matched from?) but why pretend, just match to Tier 3 and not IC.

Hey-- you asked.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you had a few service snafus- but you got everything on the list (and more) for IC.

I got service snafus too - they happen. For example I had no amenity on arrival (it came a bit later).

Overall though, I'm not sure why you see this tier 3 thing- if you look at the rewards chart there is nothing about your stay that tier 3 vs IC would apply to:

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/karma-rewards/benefits