Keep or ditch CSP?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My wife and I both have CSP and were fortunate enough to get approval for CSR, though she has a relatively high limit and I was only able to talk my way into $12K by robbing from CSP to keep same total.

Is there a reason to keep CSP since I think I would probably just keep using CSR with better benefits?

While on the subject, what about AX Platinum? Should I downgrade it or something when my renewal comes up?

I wish I had more to contribute as it seems I'm always asking! I can relate my own experiences but maybe nobody cares. I know a ton about Vietnam and about Sofitels, just not much about the ins and outs of Points/Miles/Awards

Jedi

Level 2 Member
CSP product changes quite nicely into Freedom 5X or Freedom Unlimited 1.5X everywhere. I received a prorata fee credit as well.

The tough thing for me was giving up 10,000 bonus points for refers. For some the primary car rental in USA for CSP is valuable as I don't think CSR gives that, but someone can fact check me.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
What are refers? Also I almost never rent a car. Just saying. So I should call Chase and try to fiddle with cards? My wife and I are in symmetry w/Chase. Both have regular Freedom, CSP and CSR. I'm not so savvy so wondering what I should be doing. Thanks for the input.

Alice

Level 2 Member
CSP product changes quite nicely into Freedom 5X or Freedom Unlimited 1.5X everywhere. I received a prorata fee credit as well.

The tough thing for me was giving up 10,000 bonus points for refers. For some the primary car rental in USA for CSP is valuable as I don't think CSR gives that, but someone can fact check me.
The insurance is primary on the CSR. Says it right here

Code:
 https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

knick1959

Level 2 Member
God, no! I would never involve friends and family. Not worth it. Thanks though.
"Friend" is used loosely. You don't have to refer your friends ... shoot for enemies, then!

Since I babble about CCs on an internal work forum, I do occasionally get folks asking to be referred (it's like Christmas early). So I shoot them an indirect link. It's just too bad that Chase takes a week to deliver the email; half the time the person has grown impatient and applied around me!

I know there is a limit on the number of folks you can refer, too, right? I think it's 5 that get credited. Checking last time I was asked, I had referred 6 ... but it did not indicate how many, if any, had followed through. I know of 2 that worked, but not sure about the other assumed failures.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
If you want to keep your credit line open for your credit history, call them and ask to do a product change. Above Jedi listed two options for that which will have no annual fee on the card. (Sometimes you cannot product change if the existing card, i.e. CSP, is still new. For Citi it is one year, I'm not sure if Chase has the same rules or not.)

If you do not need the line, and maybe you want to get the credit allocation down so that next time you apply you have a better chance of auto-approval, then you can close the card. No need to get fancy, just tell them you spend now on your AA card from Citi or something. But note it takes often 4-8 weeks for that credit to be "freed up" if you need to apply for another card.

mlick41954

Level 2 Member
I am finding conflicting responses about doing a PC on the CSP. I have read that you can only do a PC to a card in the same product line (CSP --> CS) and others saying you can go from CSP to a Freedom card. Since the CS is no longer available, what are my options for downgrade on the CSP? I have both the CSR and Freedom. Missing the FU since I am now over 5/24.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I am finding conflicting responses about doing a PC on the CSP. I have read that you can only do a PC to a card in the same product line (CSP --> CS) and others saying you can go from CSP to a Freedom card. Since the CS is no longer available, what are my options for downgrade on the CSP? I have both the CSR and Freedom. Missing the FU since I am now over 5/24.
You should be able to PC to the FU. Call and try. HUCA if you have to.

Craig

Level 2 Member
FU... Or another Freedom, if you can max the 5x categories.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I upgraded my CSP, when the AF was due, to the CSR. Figured I might as well get travel credits and benefits since I wouldn't be approved for a card.

smittytabb

Staff member
I upgraded my CSP, when the AF was due, to the CSR. Figured I might as well get travel credits and benefits since I wouldn't be approved for a card.
Considering that...Just applied for the Fairmont card on one of the last links. Got approved for credit limit of 32K. WTF? Turned down for United card for 5/24 a few months back and not preapproved, so didn't bother with CSR. Sure wish I could have gotten the CSR with that credit limit!

Derptrader

When I got my CSR in November and my annual fee was due for the CSP, I went to the banker and asked whether I could change to the freedom unlimited. He said he could only change it to the Sapphire (no annual fee) but still has the primary insurance coverage.

I called the number at the back of my card and was able to get the CSP downgraded to the Freedom unlimited and had my annual fee credited to my account

scubaduba14

Level 2 Member
Is there a reason to keep CSP since I think I would probably just keep using CSR with better benefits?

While on the subject, what about AX Platinum? Should I downgrade it or something when my renewal comes up?
No reason to keep the CSP if you have the CSR as the benefits are redundant or better for the CSR. The only reason to keep the CSP until the AF is due is if you want to utilize the referral links. If you don't want to refer anyone to the CSP then PC from CSP-->CS-->CFU-->CF. As for the AmexPlat you should weight the value of the Centurion lounges, better lost luggage coverage, and better purchase protection against the AF and decide if its worth it for you. Oh, and checkout this post about the CSP as it makes you think twice about the opportunity cost of holding the CSP over a Freedom...
http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2016/2/10/guess-its-time-for-a-reminder-why-chase-sapphire-preferred-is-so-bad

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Oh, and checkout this post about the CSP as it makes you think twice about the opportunity cost of holding the CSP over a Freedom...
http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2016/2/10/guess-its-time-for-a-reminder-why-chase-sapphire-preferred-is-so-bad
Is it just me, or does anyone else find this blogger's logic a bit flawed? I have a CSP in addition to an FU and Ink Cash. So the CSP is more of a necessity for me. I exchanged my F for an FU because I calculated the constant 1.5x more valuable and usable than the F's quarterly bonus categories, which rarely lined up with my needs. Or conflicted with bonuses I get else where. The restaurant bonus is, afterall, only quarterly. Right now I am getting 10x MR.

The CSP is not my most favorite card, but it gets a fair amount of use when my logically constructed plan says to use it. And my wife knows when to use it too. I would promise to read the referenced blog post again, but I know I won't. To each his own, I guess.

I should add that I would love to add a Freedom or CSR to my holdings, but these aren't in the cards for me, pardon the pun.

scubaduba14

Level 2 Member
I have a CSP in addition to an FU and Ink Cash. So the CSP is more of a necessity for me. I exchanged my F for an FU because I calculated the constant 1.5x more valuable and usable than the F's quarterly bonus categories, which rarely lined up with my needs. Or conflicted with bonuses I get else where. The restaurant bonus is, afterall, only quarterly. Right now I am getting 10x MR.
If you don't have a CSR or Ink+ then the CSP becomes a necessity to transfer out UR to partners. If you do have a CSR then holding the CSP doesn't make much sense. The CF has the earning potential of 30k UR per 6k annual spend whereas the CFU would require 20k in spend to match that. I get that you find the rotating categories to be a bit of a pain but Gas, Grocery, Drug Store, and WholeSale clubs should make it very easy to MS the 1.5k per quarter. Even if you have alternative bonus categories you should be maxing that out first before moving onto a CFU or else you're leaving points on the table. The CSP wont bring home 30k UR unless you're spending 15k on travel and restaurants. Free-quent Flyer was just trying to make the point that you should always max your bonus spend before moving onto non-bonus spend opportunities. Sure, 10xMR is better than 5xUR but that's only 1 category of spend and that's not what's being compared. When looking at the CSP, CFU, and CF... only the CF makes earning UR fast with minimal spend.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I won't argue this further than this post. The blogger suggested, from my reading, that the csp made no sense for a restaurant spend because the freedom gets 5x. Well, as long as you are in the right quarter. Gas station bonuses have become impractical for me in NE Ohio ... for MS and I get 5% on gas all day every day. Grocery stores? Dont recall those being a Freedom cat, but its been awhile and I get 6% and 3x MR on demand with higher limits. Enough that I, personally, wouldn't be excited to try to max out a Freedom. Which is, again, why i gave up my Freedom for an FU. Grocery stores used to be semi impractical in NE Ohio until recently ... in my experience.

As I said, I still have and use the CSP and I'm pretty sure its the right card to use when I use it. Ditto with all of my cards. It has its correct place in my WCCTU list despite what FQF believes. In my scheme, it has a well defined, proper use.

scubaduba14

Level 2 Member
I won't argue this further than this post. The blogger suggested, from my reading, that the csp made no sense for a restaurant spend because the freedom gets 5x. Well, as long as you are in the right quarter. Gas station bonuses have become impractical for me in NE Ohio ... for MS and I get 5% on gas all day every day. Grocery stores? Dont recall those being a Freedom cat, but its been awhile and I get 6% and 3x MR on demand with higher limits. Enough that I, personally, wouldn't be excited to try to max out a Freedom. Which is, again, why i gave up my Freedom for an FU. Grocery stores used to be semi impractical in NE Ohio until recently ... in my experience.

As I said, I still have and use the CSP and I'm pretty sure its the right card to use when I use it. Ditto with all of my cards. It has its correct place in my WCCTU list despite what FQF believes. In my scheme, it has a well defined, proper use.
Yeah, MS is definitely specific to your local region. Whatever works for you works for you! I think FQF's point is that you should be maxing the CF as much as you can because you'll need ALOT of 2x spend to match the 5x earning and that even if you use the CF for 1x spend that the 5x outweighs the 1.5x or 2x opportunity that you give up. If you can't MS gas stations then that's one thing but for those who can it makes sense to do both the CF and whatever 5% card you have. Also, grocery and drug stores are Q2 for the CF this year and 6%CB or 3x/4.5xMR is capped at 6k each so again you max both. All of this is bonuses spend and all of that is a better idea than a CFU. I think the CFU is for people who are 100% invested in UR which in that case it would make sense to acquire the CSR, CFU, Ink+, and as many CF as you can...

smjd

Level 2 Member
To get to Freedom Unlimited from CSP need to first switch to Chase Sapphire, then to CFU. Even though I'm way past 5/24 I was able to get a CFU through the special offers for you on the Chase website so I'm just keeping the Sapphire for now as I have ink preferred.

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
I'm not so sure smjd is correct. It was a number of months ago, but after my wife got approved for a Sapphire Reserve, we then downgraded her Sapphire Preferred directly to a Freedom Unlimited. (Each of us already had a Chase Freedom account and an Ink account. The combo of Freedom + F.U. + Ink + CSR is very powerful.)

By the way, the account number of her new Freedom Unlimited was the same as the old CSP account.

smjd

Level 2 Member
That may well be true, was told I could switch to Sapphire only, however that probably was because I already had a Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.

mark.goblue

Level 2 Member
I believe it depends on whether you've had the CSP for 1+ years or not. If you're still in your first year, they will make you downgrade to the regular Sapphire, however after the first year you can downgrade to the CFU without issue.

I switched directly from a CSP to a FU after having it open for about 2 years (and picking up the CSR). As GetawaysRus said, the CFU has same account number as the CSP.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I am finding conflicting responses about doing a PC on the CSP. I have read that you can only do a PC to a card in the same product line (CSP --> CS) and others saying you can go from CSP to a Freedom card. .
I've held the CSP for about six years. I called today and was immediately offered to downgrade to the Freedom Unlimited which I took. (I have a CSR and am a CPC)