Joe vs. Mother Nature

asthejoeflies

Staff member
At some point, you just look outside at feet and feet of snow and you just can’t take it anymore. I reached that breaking point last week. I mean, this is what I’m dealing with:

My tiny driveway is in the foreground. It takes me over an hour to dig out.

I started feeling pretty bummed out by all the weather. At this point, a lot of people would splurge on a flight to somewhere warm – paying a premium to fly last minute and to warm places that everyone from Boston is traveling to during President’s week. I too, decided to splurge, but with points instead.

I was searching for saver award space in coach since we were shooting for domestic destinations but was coming up empty. So for my “splurge” I decided to book us domestic first class tickets – at saver level – but still domestic first class. So, for the price of three one way business class lie flat seats to Europe (150,000 AAdvantage miles), I booked us into three domestic first class seats round trip to New Orleans.

It seems Mother Nature might have other plans for us. The snow has finally calmed down in Boston (we’re due for an inch tomorrow but that’s pretty much a joke at this point). Unfortunately, we’re supposed to transit through D.C. – who are currently getting hit by their first real snowstorm of the season. SERENITY NOW.

So, we’ll find out tomorrow morning whether we can make it to New Orleans or not. And if we do – it’s Fat Tuesday! Which I had no idea about…so it should be an adventure getting to the hotel, which is on the parade route. Haha.

Anyway fingers crossed – it’s gonna be tight. Originally this was going to be a post about how miles are great for last minute travel when you want to get away from it all blah blah blah blah blah but you know what? I just want to make it to New Orleans tomorrow. Stress city!

If you would like to root me on or root for me to be miserable, follow me on Twitter @asthejoeflies!

To wrap up, a picture of my walk with my dog this afternoon just for kicks:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

sriki

Level 2 Member
Try not to linger long enough to get into trouble on the bourbon st. I hope you are staying near the garden district side too.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I'll root for you, Joe. We're having a relatively mild winter, this year. But last year...50 days when it didn't get above 0F. And snow. And more snow. Snow on the 2nd of May.

Good luck, Joe!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
@asthejoeflies: Have you taken the plunge? #bostonblizzardchallenge #2015blizzardplunge

Code:
http://mashable.com/2015/02/17/boston-window-jumpers/
Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh has a message for all the fools jumping out of windows into snow piles: Stop it.

"I’m asking people to stop their nonsense right now," Walsh said at a press conference Tuesday, addressing the legions of people who have jumped out of windows — often dressed only in their underwear — and posted their conquests on social media using the hashtag #BostonBlizzardChallenge over the past three weeks.

Last edited: