IST -> Asia - > US (Nov. 2016)

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I have the most miles in AA which is my preferred method of getting home on that fact alone. I will be in IST at the end of my November trip to run the Athens marathon when I realized, I can take 1 extra vacation day and travel the 4 extra days over Thanksgiving. So my days are set. I am looking to depart IST Monday Nov. 21 or Tuesday Nov. 22. With a return to the US on Sunday the 27th of November, 2016. I will be alone for this part of the trip, so single awards should be easier to find.

AA - 250K
SPG - 70K
UR - 200K
MR - 80K
AS - 100K

I really want to make it a true around the world, but I am not hung up on that. I want to fly as long as possible in premium products to reward myself for being awesome ;)

Target cities to visit for a couple of days - SIN, HKG (my main target right now), Seoul, Tokyo. While interested also in Thailand, or Vietnam, etc., I'd rather a couple of days in some of the major cities for my first pass though of Asia. I do not want to pay for any special Visas, so China is out...except a transit Visa is possibly acceptable. But China is big, I can totally skip it for now. A Great Wall plus China trip should be its own thing. I am digressing. A stopover in DXB or DOH are fine. Looking at the Singapore suites to SFO or LAX which are "waitlist" right now. What premium cabin long haul flights am I missing, or should I use here? Emirates? Etihad? Cathay? Qatar? Any suite route is preferred.

And my number 1 main question is this, CX shows up on BA searches out a full month ahead of where AA is showing award availability. If it shows up on BA for November 27th, can I call AA and book Nov 27th even though they don't show awards that far out? Or do I have to hope it is still there in 3 weeks when AA will show awards (but not the CX award , I understand those do not show up on AA at all)?

All advice is welcome. This is a very last minuet addition to my trip so if I can't get anything good, I am ok adjusting. The planning is all the fun :) Thanks.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
And my number 1 main question is this, CX shows up on BA searches out a full month ahead of where AA is showing award availability. If it shows up on BA for November 27th, can I call AA and book Nov 27th even though they don't show awards that far out? Or do I have to hope it is still there in 3 weeks when AA will show awards (but not the CX award , I understand those do not show up on AA at all)?
You have to wait unfortunately.

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I ended up with EY business from IST to AUH then to HGK. I had to use 60K AA miles since only Qatar can transit the middle east on the way to Asia 2. It is pretty direct, minimal layover in AUH, arrives in HKG at 9:30 for a full day of being tired. $20 AUD was the fee.

AUH-HKG is an Air Seychelles plane and according to seatguru, the arrangement looks ok to me for business but I am getting other info from FlyerTalk on the actual seat config. Anyone can confirm this for me? The times are slightly less desirable, but I assume I could switch this to Qatar for the same dates, same start and destination for no fee if it would be a better option. It should be less miles to do that as well, but I am not sure I would get the difference returned or not. Not really worried about that,