iPad purchase - need ideas

Since you guys are so good at this, I thought I would ask for help with an iPad purchase. It is for my mom, and I don't need it until the end of March. She has never had an ipad & will mostly use it to facetime my kids:) So I am ok with a cheaper model. I think I am ok with a mini (that's what we got my in laws for Christmas).

I don't have a model number because it doesn't really matter, just looking for the best deal.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Don't get the Mini. At least get the iPad Air (not Air 2)

If you have a Microcenter near by. Have someone price match them. They have it for $329 for 16GB and $349 for 32GB.

Don't get the Mini. At least get the iPad Air (not Air 2)

If you have a Microcenter near by. Have someone price match them. They have it for $329 for 16GB and $349 for 32GB.
Thanks! I hadn't heard of Micro Center, but just checked and there is one about 30 minutes away from me. Do they generally have the best prices? I have to do some research, but I wonder what a really good prices for the 16GB Air would be? $329 seems to be good, but I don't know.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Microcenter usually has the best B&M prices ... Best Buy / Target will PM Microcenter. Here's a price guide:
Code:
http://prices.appleinsider.com/#ipad
Extra 5% if you use Target RedCard :)

Also agree with @foxx: go with iPad Air ...

smittytabb

Staff member
Microcenter usually has the best B&M prices ... Best Buy / Target will PM Microcenter. Here's a price guide:
Code:
http://prices.appleinsider.com/#ipad
Extra 5% if you use Target RedCard :)

Also agree with @foxx: go with iPad Air ...
Another vote for iPadAir

Thanks everyone. Just putting this thought out there....I wonder if I use $100 Target gift card for part of it and then Redbird for the rest...do I still get 5% off?

P.L

Ebay deals often has good deals on iPads. I've purchased iPads from there and sold to Amazon for big profits in the past.

fordman85

Just throwing this idea out there, ever consider checking out the Apple Outlet? It's Apple's Direct site for selling their products recertified. Sometimes you find some pretty good deals on there!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Ebay deals often has good deals on iPads. I've purchased iPads from there and sold to Amazon for big profits in the past.
Proceed with caution when purchasing Apple products in the grey markets. Make sure the seller is an Apple Authorized Reseller. And read through the listing's description & condition. There was a thread for an eBay iPad on one of the dealsites...it got a lot of thumbs down because the units were actually refurbished and not new.

Apple is very protective of their brand. In the event you need service or repair under their 1 year standard limited warranty or to purchase AppleCare (which extends coverage by 2 more years), You may need to provide proof of purchase.

Most often, the start date of the 1 year warranty is when the iPad was manufactured at an Apple factory, or when it is sold during from the Apple retail or online store. If you bought the iPad at Target, you should contact Apple & submit your receipt to get the full year of warranty & support coverage. It's recommended to register your product via Apple's support portal with your Apple ID (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202703).

The original manufacturer's warranty is not transferrable & may not be honored when purchasing through non-authorized resellers -- though, technically, the warranty is associated with the product itself and not the individual.

An receipt from eBay or a receipt from an Amazon 3rd party seller is not considered proof of purchase. This is why many people stay away from reselling Apple products as "New."

The sales receipt must be issued by an Apple Authorized Reseller and must meet the following criteria:
  1. The sales receipt must be legible.
  2. The sales receipt must include the following information:
    • A clear description of the product
    • The product's date of purchase
    • An invoice or receipt number
    • The product's price
    • The reseller's contact information and, if possible, the reseller's company seal or logo
  3. The sales receipt should also include the product's serial number if the reseller normally lists serial numbers on their receipts.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Thanks! I hadn't heard of Micro Center, but just checked and there is one about 30 minutes away from me. Do they generally have the best prices? I have to do some research, but I wonder what a really good prices for the 16GB Air would be? $329 seems to be good, but I don't know.
Microcenter is awesome when it comes down to prices. HOWEVER don't do what I did.

On Christmas Eve I was looking for a last minute gift. Obviously the 32GB iPad Air. However my local BestBuy didn't have any in stock. So I decided to hop online using a 5% CB portal + Discover 5% and do an instore pickup at another store. Well.... I pick it up and they won't price match in store. Have to do it through MyBestBuy on the phone. Submit my claim and NEVER heard anything back from them.

They hit me with a technicality of my shipping address is outside their "price match range".... 25 miles. I live 27.2 miles from Microcenter. Complete BS. :mad: Good thing I submitted a Price Protection claim with Discover.

I ended up paying $329 (minus 5% CB + 5% Discover) for my 32GB Space Gray iPad Air.

As for the 16GB... Pay $20 and get the 32GB. You'll thank me later. I made the mistake of buying my mother a 16GB iPad 4th Gen and she filled the thing to the brim....

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I never thought I say this, but I miss Circuit City ... which is why the SODOM (Staples + OD + OM) is not good.

Best Buy is now the only major electronics B&M retailer (hhgregg is a distant distant second). I loathe Best Buy -- their selection isn't the greatest; they are really shady with their PM policy, especially if you purchase something online; their return policy is ridiculous (15 days for ANY return / exchange unless you're an Elite or ElitePlus member) -- which is why I put my purchases on CC for return protection; and yes, I'm still bitter about getting their infamous "90 day return ban" once.

I primarily go to Best Buy for showrooming.

fordman85

I never thought I say this, but I miss Circuit City ... which is why the SODOM (Staples + OD + OM) is not good.

Best Buy is now the only major electronics B&M retailer (hhgregg is a distant distant second). I loathe Best Buy -- their selection isn't the greatest; they are really shady with their PM policy, especially if you purchase something online; their return policy is ridiculous (15 days for ANY return / exchange unless you're an Elite or ElitePlus member) -- which is why I put my purchases on CC for return protection; and yes, I'm still bitter about getting their infamous "90 day return ban" once.

I primarily go to Best Buy for showrooming.
That's exactly what I do with Best buy. Whenever I want to play with something first hand, I head over make my choice, then head online and find the best deal!

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
@TheAmericanTravelProject are you close to the Christiana mall in Delaware? If you are - you should see if an education discount to buy directly from Apple + no sales tax at the mall. Could be potentially cheaper this way to stack not paying sales tax.

@TheAmericanTravelProject are you close to the Christiana mall in Delaware? If you are - you should see if an education discount to buy directly from Apple + no sales tax at the mall. Could be potentially cheaper this way to stack not paying sales tax.
Oooh thanks I will look into this. We are close *enough* but not close, close. I could pick up some cheaper wine down there if I go:p AND my daughter just smashed the glass on one of our ipads, so I might need to get more than one now:eek:

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to add - if you go this route, and don't care too much about the credit card warranty, you can save some money by using a 5% back credit card and buying Apple store gift cards from a local pharmacy

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
FYI: Microcenter's iPad Air sale prices are good through 2/8, if you're seeking to purchase it from them or plan to PM. The education discount is only $20 off the retail price at the Apple Store. Someone commented on refurbished units from Apple's online store: their prices aren't really competitive for iPad wifi-only versions especially if another retailer has them on sale.

Options on whether to get AppleCare+ or SquareTrade ... or something else:
Code:
http://www.imore.com/ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-insurance-applecare-something-else

Haley

I am not a robot
Oooh thanks I will look into this. We are close *enough* but not close, close. I could pick up some cheaper wine down there if I go:p AND my daughter just smashed the glass on one of our ipads, so I might need to get more than one now:eek:
Get a quote on glass replacement if it isn't one you were thinking of upgrading soon.

The Apple Store used to have an unwritten policy of offering $100 off a new iPad if you brought in your damaged one. They actually gave me a replacement no charge once, but it took three visits (first offer was $100 off, I asked if they could note that so I could think about it). That was a few years ago.

Nina

Level 2 Member
I'd like to thank everyone for the ideas. I've bought the iPad Air today!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of these ideas. I wasn't ready to pull the trigger quite yet because I am not 100% sure this is what she wants for her birthday (she changes her mind a lot!). But I am happy to have these ideas to work with if/when I do go for it. Thank you all:)

philipl

Level 2 Member
there was a best buy sale today where they took a $100 off ipad air (gen 2) 64gb wifi and wifi+4g units... go through a portal for 1% back (better than nothing). Had to meet minimum spend on a new CC i got so didn't use discover cc. basically got a 64gb (gold) wifi for ~$540 including NY tax (free shipping and after 1% back).