Invite to upgrade to Amex Platinum

F

Fuerza

I received a preapproved offer from Amex to upgrade my PRG to Platinum. I want a platinum card. I don't want another Amex charge card. I don't want another inquiry on EX. I don't need another account on my credit report. I'd like to get the upgrade for the airline credit which I know I'll use in Dec for Xmas and again next summer. I've been waiting for a 100k points offer but they don't seem to come up anymore. Do you think if I called in and asked for a bonus upgrade offer they might give me something?

I just got my PRG spending bonus so its in the Rolodex binder till next year.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I received a preapproved offer from Amex to upgrade my PRG to Platinum. I want a platinum card. I don't want another Amex charge card. I don't want another inquiry on EX. I don't need another account on my credit report. I'd like to get the upgrade for the airline credit which I know I'll use in Dec for Xmas and again next summer. I've been waiting for a 100k points offer but they don't seem to come up anymore. Do you think if I called in and asked for a bonus upgrade offer they might give me something?

I just got my PRG spending bonus so its in the Rolodex binder till next year.
You may want to double check on the bonus. From what i have read, If you already received bonus on PRG, i dont think you will get one again for Platinum.

satz

Level 2 Member
Have you considered applying for the Business Platinum? Some people have been able to call and get the 100k offer for the business one. But if you do not want another inquiry on EX, then that's out of the way.

I haven't seen any offer to upgrade to Personal Platinum. I am aware of 30k upgrade for Business Platinum.

And as Kumar mentioned, you can only get the bonus once per personal card now

F

Fuerza

You may want to double check on the bonus. From what i have read, If you already received bonus on PRG, i dont think you will get one again for Platinum.
Platinum and PRG are separate products. A bonus on one doesn't eliminate a bonus on the other when applying for a new product. That confirmed on FT. I know I'm talking about upgrades. I've considered the business platinum, I get 50k MR offers periodically.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Platinum and PRG are separate products. A bonus on one doesn't eliminate a bonus on the other when applying for a new product. That confirmed on FT. I know I'm talking about upgrades. I've considered the business platinum, I get 50k MR offers periodically.
Members at Dans Deals forum state otherwise. I was under the same impression until i read that. May be you can give me a data point because i am also interested to do that early next year after completing 13 months on my PRG.

F

Fuerza

Members at Dans Deals forum state otherwise. I was under the same impression until i read that. May be you can give me a data point because i am also interested to do that early next year after completing 13 months on my PRG.
Can you provide a link? Upgrading I'm essentially forgoing the bonus of a new application.

My understanding of business card is that they are more prone to financial review.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Can you provide a link? Upgrading I'm essentially forgoing the bonus of a new application.

My understanding of business card is that they are more prone to financial review.
I dont want to provide a link in this forum to another forum, without Matt's approval. Had it been an article from a blog, that is different. Please go through the said forum for more details.

F

Fuerza

Well I upgraded!

Called in this morning spoke to a rep who offered 25k MR points to upgrade. It's not huge but I retain the PRG account number, no hard inquiry, no new account on my credit report.

Being active military I retain my annual fee wavier and as an added bonus it applies to card holders under my account. So my wife gets a free platinum card as well! When I think about it 2 cards means 2 airline credits! So basically a free $400 in airline credits this year and the next.

I'm happy with the outcome. Amex has been good to me being military.

Dkelly1110

Level 2 Member
Well I upgraded!

Called in this morning spoke to a rep who offered 25k MR points to upgrade. It's not huge but I retain the PRG account number, no hard inquiry, no new account on my credit report.

Being active military I retain my annual fee wavier and as an added bonus it applies to card holders under my account. So my wife gets a free platinum card as well! When I think about it 2 cards means 2 airline credits! So basically a free $400 in airline credits this year and the next.

The $200 airline credit is per account so sub-cards do not get additional credits, but per calendar year. Get one now and again in 2015.

F

Fuerza

The $200 airline credit is per account so sub-cards do not get additional credits, but per calendar year. Get one now and again in 2015.
Kind of a bummer, but understandable why... I'll definitely take advantage of the airline credit this year and next.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Well I upgraded!

Great. Thanks for the data point.

raccah

Level 2 Member
Well I upgraded!

Hey Fuerza - I hope this is not corny or the such, but thanks for whatever your service is to our country, and Amex and other cards should feel and act the same! Whenever I see service folks on planes, I try to help and give them my seat, unless it is a really long flight - then I am mostly asleep already