Interesting Citi AAdvantage Executive Retention Experience

tmount

Administrator

So, I happened to call Citi to cancel my most recent AAdvantage Executive Card, and was met with retention offers I hadn’t really expected. Historically the only retention offer I’ve received was “receive 1,000 additional AAdvantage miles for any month where I spend at least $1,000, for the next 16 months.” Today, I received that, plus a few others:

• Receive 15,000 AAdvantage miles after $5,000 spend in the next 3 months
  • Receive xx,000 (I think 10,000) AAdvantage miles and $100 statement credit after $1,500
  • Another statement credit option, but it was small
My point is: It seems that Citi is starting to expand retention offers, even for very new AAdvantage Executive cards.

Continue reading...

rpsandiego

When I called 2 weeks ago, they gave me the offer for 1,000 pts for 16 months. The guy I talked to advised me to wait til the $450 fee has been charged and maybe there's a better offer.

How long does it take to request a refund for the fee?

DL172

Level 2 Member
When I called 2 weeks ago, they gave me the offer for 1,000 pts for 16 months. The guy I talked to advised me to wait til the $450 fee has been charged and maybe there's a better offer.

How long does it take to request a refund for the fee?
As long as you place the request within 37 days of the fee posting you will be fine. Do advise not to wait to the last minute. It usually credits within 24 hours.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I called Citi retention a couple times and finally accepted an offer on 6/10-- $50 CR each month for the next 7 months if I spent $1500. The analyst said I could "start right now" and I spent $1500 immediately. No $50 credit appeared on my statement. I've inquired twice now by SM and have been told the offer "didn't start until 6/17.

They're standing firm--any experience, do you think a call would make a difference?

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I called Citi retention a couple times and finally accepted an offer on 6/10-- $50 CR each month for the next 7 months if I spent $1500. The analyst said I could "start right now" and I spent $1500 immediately. No $50 credit appeared on my statement. I've inquired twice now by SM and have been told the offer "didn't start until 6/17.

They're standing firm--any experience, do you think a call would make a difference?
I recall reading elsewhere that Citi retention offers need 1-2 days to take effect. So the analyst was misinformed. You still have a case IMHO.

smittytabb

Staff member
I got a sweet enough offer. Spend 5K in 3 months and get 15K bonus miles. I asked for a letter to confirm, which I did receive and I called back a couple days later to make sure the offer was showing for my account. Once it was, I spent the 5K before the next statement closed and got the 20K (15K bonus + 5K for the spend) upon statement close. My CSR specifically told me to wait a few days before starting and that is why I called back to verify. But I am pretty sure I asked for clarification on when it would start. CSRs are not the last word on a lot of things unfortunately or fortunately, depending on the situation.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Oops, if there's a mistake to make, I'll make it :). On the same phone call-- I now recall-- I asked to have my closing date moved from the 12th to the 22nd-- and it actually happened first next cycle so it hasn't closed yet and my first $1500 will count! Details, details:(-- thanks for responses.