If you could start over...

smittytabb

Staff member
Wish I had understood the points and miles game a long time ago! I earned airline points the hard way - by actually buying tickets!

My dh's father passed away at 58 - owned his own business and never took that vacation that was going to happen when he retired. So it is easy to convince my dh to travel.

I used to have a hard time using miles to fly J or F. It was like spending money from my pocket. We took our first F/J trip in October. And it was my dh's goal to fly around the world. So we spent the miles - so glad we did.

That being said, I flew Y to South Africa in September (Etihad mistake fare) with my 25 year old son. I was no worse for the wear and it was wonderful to spend that time with my adult son!

I will give it up for J or F now, but am happy to grab a Y mistake fare anyday!
My DH also lost his father in his 50s. He was 18. And although he is not as big a fan of the long, complex, more adventurous things I enjoy, he does do more travel than most people and really enjoys all the perks our hobby can provide. He also is very supportive of my solo travel because after his mother was widowed, she hit the road and was an avid adventurer until she was struck with Alzheimers way too early. So he gets it and realizes you have to travel when you can!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
My DH also lost his father in his 50s. He was 18. And although he is not as big a fan of the long, complex, more adventurous things I enjoy, he does do more travel than most people and really enjoys all the perks our hobby can provide. He also is very supportive of my solo travel because after his mother was widowed, she hit the road and was an avid adventurer until she was struck with Alzheimers way too early. So he gets it and realizes you have to travel when you can!
I haven't done a solo trip yet. Other than flying out to visit my Dad or son, or business trips - no vacations. DH would be sad. Said he didn't have time to take the South Africa trip, so I asked my son - I think that surprised him. He was upset when the time came and he wasn't going with us. I don't think he will say no again!

smittytabb

Staff member
I haven't done a solo trip yet. Other than flying out to visit my Dad or son, or business trips - no vacations. DH would be sad. Said he didn't have time to take the South Africa trip, so I asked my son - I think that surprised him. He was upset when the time came and he wasn't going with us. I don't think he will say no again!
I've been traveling solo all of my adult life, so I would be sad if my DH were sad for me to do it, if that makes sense. And he has no interest in retirement any time soon even though he is eligible, so all of the travel I want to do would never happen if I waited for his availability. He married me in full knowledge of my travel addiction:)

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I've been traveling solo all of my adult life, so I would be sad if my DH were sad for me to do it, if that makes sense. And he has no interest in retirement any time soon even though he is eligible, so all of the travel I want to do would never happen if I waited for his availability. He married me in full knowledge of my travel addiction:)
He would be sad he wasn't going with me - but he wouldn't try to stop me. To be fair, we had already gone on two major trips this year and had a 2.5 week trip planned in October. We are in the same boat. He loves his job and doesn't want to retire. So his time is limited. And I would miss his company too. BUT ...

smittytabb

Staff member
He would be sad he wasn't going with me - but he wouldn't try to stop me. To be fair, we had already gone on two major trips this year and had a 2.5 week trip planned in October. We are in the same boat. He loves his job and doesn't want to retire. So his time is limited. And I would miss his company too. BUT ...
I am gone a lot, but he works a lot. I guess I could say I married him in full knowledge of his work addiction. But even when we have something planned he will need to cancel for work. We are both super independent and 35 years of marriage has not changed that one iota.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I am gone a lot, but he works a lot. I guess I could say I married him in full knowledge of his work addiction. But even when we have something planned he will need to cancel for work. We are both super independent and 35 years of marriage has not changed that one iota.
It doesn't have anything to do with lack of independence on our part. It's about what we like to share together. And 20 years of marriage has thankfully not changed that!:)

30French

Level 2 Member
I wish I would have been more consistent with my MS. I did quite a bit back in 2011-12 and then once I didn't have a goal trip I stopped doing much of anything. I basically missed redbird altogether, and got into this right when VRs were dying too.

Toddb

Thanks to all of your "Words of Wisdom". As a beginner, these are the types of treads that help me plan!

RollPlayer

Level 2 Member
I would have applied with more of a plan for sign up bonuses. I got a Hyatt card because I stayed at Hyatt a lot for work and wanted the bonused spend, but I didn't have a solid plan for the free nights earned as the bonus and ended up using them on some Category 4's. Still cheaper than paying cash, but not the best value.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I wish I had dug deeper when I heard on NPR several years ago about people buying coins with CC and not shredded all those 50 K mile offers in my mailbox, it was all too good to be true. In many regards it still is. Those F tickets to Japan would have cost almost as much as a new budget car.

On the other hand, we are now spoiled for life where now I'm dreading a 5 hour flight in economy to Iceland next month.

JakeFromStateFarm

Points Junkie
In general, I try not to look back with regret on most things in life. One way or another, those experiences helped me become who I am today.

Having said that, I wish that I knew how to truly maximize value for cc currencies sooner. I was always good at racking up huge amounts of reimburseable business meal expenses on my citi forward card, but I look back now and cringe at the hundreds of thousands of TYPs that I redeemed for only 1 cpp via "mortgage payment." While 1 cpp for cold, hard, cash seemed better than many other less attractive redemption options from Citi, I also didn't realize the full value in redeeming for travel back then.

Granted, there is always a balancing act when one is cash poor and points rich, but my outlook on many things has changed as the value of experiences have grown to far outweigh material objects.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Originally, I said:

... what would you do differently?

I would go for more modest trips first. I did the biggest and most luxurious trip of my life early on. That spoiled us quick.
While my wish for "modesty first" remains, it's clear to me that my travel has always been a function of earning AND burning opportunities. When it was possible to churn AA Exec cards, I did and put those to good use. When UA F redemption devaluated immensely, I made the aspirational redemption, which happened to be early in my timeline, but it was then or never.

Like the above poster said, my experiences shaped me into the person I am today. Early on, due to influences of prominent bloggers, I was into aspirational redemptions. Nowadays I am more interested in unique destinations and experiences that miles can take me to. A category 1 hotel redemption in SE Asia excites me more than another "$1,000" hotel.

Every year a few opportunities come knocking with a limited window. I will continue to take advantage of the ones that afford unique experiences.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
I wish I had dug deeper when I heard on NPR several years ago about people buying coins with CC and not shredded all those 50 K mile offers in my mailbox, it was all too good to be true. In many regards it still is. Those F tickets to Japan would have cost almost as much as a new budget car.

On the other hand, we are now spoiled for life where now I'm dreading a 5 hour flight in economy to Iceland next month.
Ha ha! My husband couldn't believe we were flying coach to Reykjavik. We survived. On the way back we were at the back of the plane which was not full and he took a whole row. I stayed and took our two seats. Later in the summer will likely be full planes though.