I Would Not Write Off Plenti Just Yet

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member

Some people have already written off Plenti, the new American Express loyalty program that has Macy’s, Exxon, and Rite Aid as part of the program partners. That being said, at this stage of the game, I totally agree with the Devil’s Advocate the redemption options are extremely paltry. Only four locations you can redeem the Plenti points, Exxon, Mobil, Macy’s, and Rite Aid, and really, the first two are part of one corporation.

Using Cashback Monitor, we see that Plenti has been offering 2x on the points for American Express gift cards since May 30, no hoops to jump through or waiting for a specific day to earn the extra cash back or points. If you decided to accumulate all of the Plenti for the AMEX gift cards, again, your redemption options are extremely limited.

If you decided to redeem the points at any of the vendors, you give up your credit card bonus for all of the vendors. Exxon and Mobil from the gas bonus, Rite Aid from a drug store, and Macy’s from the department store categories. If you still have an Old Blue Cash, it covers the first 3 stores, and any of the rotating 5% cards will have you covered in the Macy’s department. It is a huge IT undertaking to get all of the systems lined up into the loyalty program and I understand that it will take some time for new merchants to be added into the program.

That being said, I believe AMEX is working hard to making Plenti a competitive platform. There are some vendors that I saw on Cashback Monitor clicking through Plenti that they are paying out more than other bank portals. I think AMEX is doing this because they’re trying to entice more users to accumulate points as an incentive until they can add more retailers to the network. As an aside, the Plenti portal is Cartera run, so if you know what works, this should be easier for you to navigate.

If a bank portal and Plenti were equal, I’d choose the bank any day of the week because you have no idea when the next iteration of stores will be available to redeem on Plenti. In some states you can’t even redeem the Plenti points for milk.

I am holding out hope that this program will be a useful way to earn cash back but on a larger scale to what Plink tried to do. I do agree with Grant’s sarcasm usefulness on the 5:4 transfer ratio of Membership Rewards to Plenti, just plain no. Don’t even think about it. Membership Rewards are worth way more than Plenti at this time.

Continue reading...

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
The only real use for accumulating Plenti points that I can see is for clothes at Macy's. For me, anyway, buying clothes is something I do year-round, and I am unwilling to wait for October to buy a swimsuit, if that's what I need.

I have the card hanging from my keyring. I have yet to use it, though, because most of my spending, even for clothing, is done through portals, online, at sites I trust AND have what I want on a deeply discounted sale.

But I expended very little energy or time applying and adding the app to my phone. Less, yet, to attach the minicard to the keyring, next to the one for CVS. If I get something for it, using it for purchases I would have made anyway...well, why not? I don't see it being a big addition to my miles and points accumulation, but a few bucks off a cashmere sweater never hurts, right?

labboypro

Chief Factotum
Plenti has me jumping through flaming hoops for paltry points. Macy's online purchase hasn't been acknowledged. I emailed them using their "contact us" form with specifics about the problem (my account, Macy's order number and date, etc., as well as an offer to provide them a screenshot of the transaction details). They replied as follows--

Thank you for contacting our Plenti Team. However, to service your request we will need more information. We will need for example: receipt number, date, transaction amount (before tax), store number, form of payment, and the types of items purchased. Please respond via our contact form or by contacting us at 1-855-PLENTI1 (1-855-753-6841).

Sincerely,
The Plenti Service Team
You can't simply reply, so I had to jump back to the end of the queue with a "new" message where I provided them exactly what they asked for (by cutting and pasting it from my first message to them!).

Their reply--

We’ve received your request. However, for your account security, we can’t service your request by email. Please call us at 1-855-PLENTI1 (1-855-753-6841) and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to help you.

Here’s wishing you lots more fun earning and using points with Plenti.

Sincerely,
The Plenti Service Team
I happened to be in front on my computer when that email landed so I called them immediately. Their IVR system first forces me to listen to reasons I should sign up, how to sign up, and wants to tell me about my account history... all without any obvious escape points (ie, "0" for operator). After finally escaping with a series of fist-mashes on the number pad, I got a rep. She grilled me for account owner verification like I was trying to get into someone's NSA file. Once past that, the operator (after "checking with the system," and "the system is moving slowly this morning" delays) told me they have no record of that transaction and that I must wait 90 days for the points to drop... and when I probed further... "the system won't tell us if points are going to drop until after 90 days." So... "the system" (let's call it HAL 2000) holds the secrets of the universe to itself until some magic date and no mere mortal can see behind the curtain until then.

After the dust settles, ASSuming I actually get the points, I should be able to redeem them for one of these (PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELECTION FROM THE BOTTOM ROW)...

carnival-prizes-az.jpg

Yeah, Plenti has quite a future.

plenti_of_nonsense.jpg

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear the troubles. It sounds exactly like Chase the last time I had an issue with tracking. They made me jump through a lot just to get the points. Waiting 90+ days and tons of follow up and supporting documentation

smittytabb

Staff member
Plenti has so far been frustrating to deal with. I cannot log in at the moment and when I try to get a new password they keep asking me to autheticate the capta over and over and over in an endless cycle. The number of points they give for purchases that are not bonused is absurdly small. It is like a joke.

seven-up

Level 2 Member
When they were running the staples 7x points, I bought several items through Plenti. Everything tracked properly, just has not confirmed yet... Been about 3-4 weeks since purchase.

smittytabb

Staff member
Well, I called them on the phone this morning because I could not log in to the website. They got me in, said there was nothing wrong with my account and then when I went to use it I was told there was something wrong and to call Plenti. So, I am not happy to have to call a second time today! Not calling since I can log in. Want to use my points as I have enough to make it worthwhile. So far, haven't been asked to apply points to a sale since the first transaction when I had any. Thinking of cashing out and waiting to see if this thing improves. I have over 12K points already.

eternalskye

Plenti has terrible customer service and the only place that makes sense is Rite Aid. It basically has become Rite Aid's version of a rewards system. Right now they have a few awesome deals for JNJ and P&G. Giving you 1k pts for 30 dollars of spend. which equals 1/3 off. You can push it further with manufacturers coupons. Still wondering if I can push it even farther though.