Hyatt Gift Checks at discount

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I am looking for buying hyatt gift checks (valid for stays outside US) but since the milepoint premium subscription is sold out, i am running out of options. Giftcardgranny.com doesn't have higher denominations at a good discount. I am looking for about 700$. Any suggestions?

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
One way to save is to buy through Ebates which is offering 2.5% on spend on hyatt. I am not sure if it is valid for gift checks though. I plan to use this route using my barclay arrival to get about 4.7% off overall. This seems to be the best way to do it unless one has a 5% card to maximise returns through gift card-ebates route.

AIM

Level 2 Member
Interesting idea, I used Extrabux when I made the booking and that tracked OK at 4%. I will try going through them again to buy gift checks. One thing to be aware of in the terms and conditions of gift checks: "Outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, the total charges will be reduced by converting the USD value of the Hyatt Check Certificate into local currency according to the daily exchange rate at the hotel." If the hotel rate is more than a few percent off from what Barclays would convert at you won't be any better off than just using your Arrival for the whole thing.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I forget, does it post on OPEN for checks? If so ebates>hyatt with Amex OPEN = 7.5% (or I guess you don't need the checks and just book the room eh?

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I forget, does it post on OPEN for checks? If so ebates>hyatt with Amex OPEN = 7.5% (or I guess you don't need the checks and just book the room eh?
That is a good idea but i dont have an Amex business card to try that option. From personal card option ebates+barclays arrival seems to be the best due to the FX problem with gift checks as AIM mentioned above.

PWMTrav

Staff member
I'm not sure about checks, but I believe Hyatt Gift Cards do post as Hyatt purchases. I used the 10% Milepoint P2 discount + SPG Biz OPEN 5% the last time I paid for a stay. With that, the order gets submitted through a Milepoint form, but is processed by Hyatt.

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm not sure about checks, but I believe Hyatt Gift Cards do post as Hyatt purchases. I used the 10% Milepoint P2 discount + SPG Biz OPEN 5% the last time I paid for a stay. With that, the order gets submitted through a Milepoint form, but is processed by Hyatt.
Still need to redeem the Milepoint Hyatt benefit. Can you tell me if they are Gift Cards or checks? It was unclear to me based upon what the description says. My understanding is that they are Hyatt purchases, and a thread on Milepoint answered by Randy does say that.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Still need to redeem the Milepoint Hyatt benefit. Can you tell me if they are Gift Cards or checks? It was unclear to me based upon what the description says. My understanding is that they are Hyatt purchases, and a thread on Milepoint answered by Randy does say that.
I don't know which the Milepoints are but the Hyatt cards are not valid outside the US and the checks seem to baffle the front desk clerks when I have used them.

For us stays, the cards are much easier. The checks seem to be a problem everywhere i have tried to use them. To save time, i try to apply them the day before check out so there is plenty of time to figure out how to accept them.

keithb

In my experience, gift check purchases made through the MP gets the 5% open savings. This is a steal since the 10% savings plus extra 5% amounts to 14.5% off for every Hyatt booking.

I've never had a problem using the gift checks. I've used it in central america and asia without any problems.

vike

Level 2 Member
I have ordered the full $5K from the Milepoint redemption and I received gift cards at 10% off and 5% back on my Amex Open card. Makes for a nice discount on future stays in the US. These can be used at Hyatt Place and Hyatt Houses, but they always seem confused when processing them. They are much easier to use at regular Hyatt (Grand's, Regency's).

smittytabb

Staff member
I ended up getting the giftcards only and it is a nice savings. Anyone heard anything about the Milepoint offers for this year. It was in October of last year that they offered the Premium membership. Looks like it is discontinued.

vike

Level 2 Member
Have not seen anything yet. The last two Premium memberships sold out, so there seems to be incentive to keep it going.