How to earn more SPG points

TravMomof2

Silver Member
I'm trying to figure out a way to earn more SPG points since they are not very easy to earn, especially with the recent BB closures (mine is still open but I had stopped using it recently). I have both SPG personal and biz cards, my husband has the personal as well. We're going to Maui & Laguna Beach this summer. I've booked rooms at Westin Maui and I'd like to book at St. Regis Dana Point (closest Starwood hotel) as well. I only have 38,000 spg points so I need 42,000 more. I don't mind buying the max of 20,000 points at 3.5 cents each because I'll get about 4.4 cents value out of them (not huge savings but it'll allow us to stay there for 5 nights for $700, I'm ok with that). Leaves me still in need of 22,000 points. I can spend another 10,000 in natural spend but I'd still need about 12,000 points. Is there any way I can get more points that I'm missing? I know if I got another AMEX card I could transfer to my spg account but the transfer rate is so bad (3:1).

If not, I can always do AirBnB in Laguna but for whatever reason I felt like just doing hotels this trip. I could get a small cottage in Laguna for about $350/night so it might be better to just do that. We are a family with 2 young elementary aged kids.

Anyway, thinking out loud, asking for thoughts...

mbo_nc

Level 2 Member
Unfortunately, starpoints are really hard to earn. Aside from the credit card and staying at hotels, there is not much else. The do have the uber partnership - it's definitely worth linking your accounts if you haven't already. https://www.spgpromos.com/uber/

TravMomof2

Silver Member
Uber account linked. Thanks!

I just happened upon an article discussing how to get SPG points by attending a timeshare sales pitch. I'd do that for some points, I have no shame.:rolleyes:

I just need to find an SPG resort, none near me.

SQLvariant

Level 2 Member
Uber account linked. Thanks!

I just happened upon an article discussing how to get SPG points by attending a timeshare sales pitch. I'd do that for some points, I have no shame.:rolleyes:

I just need to find an SPG resort, none near me.
They apparently have one/some in Orlando.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
You also get SPG points for dining at hotel restaurants, even if you're not a guest. We have some very nice ones here (Bourbon Steak, though sadly it's moving out of the Westin), so between charging on the SPG Amex and my status I'm earning 5x on dining.

A copy of the receipt needs to be emailed in, but I've never had issues getting credit.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
If not, I can always do AirBnB in Laguna but for whatever reason I felt like just doing hotels this trip. I could get a small cottage in Laguna for about $350/night so it might be better to just do that. We are a family with 2 young elementary aged kids.
I'd at least explore what you can get with AirBNB, especially given you are a family of four. I've stayed at StR Monarch Beach and am not all that keen on it. It doesn't have much of an ocean view and certainly not from a room. It's quite a distant view. The best thing there is that they have a cart that will take you to a stretch of beach used by the hotel. It's a very nice beach. I'll put a disclaimer that we live in a coastal community with wonderful ocean views, so for me, going to Monarch Beach is worsening the view that I have on a daily basis. Perhaps other members can weigh in on their stay experience here.

Be sure to send your husband a referral link from your business card so that you can earn 5K points for him getting a card. Also, if you haven't already done so, you can charge your property and personal taxes to your SPG card. There's roughly a 2% fee to do so, but you have already figured out you will get greater benefit than that.

Patrickthetiger

Level 2 Member
St. Regis Monarch Beach is undergoing a big renovation of the lobby, restaurants, and pool area. Just an FYI-- might want to make sure they'll be finished up before you make the rezzie!

Bury

Level 2 Member
Is there an SPG Points + Cash rate available?

I'm also in the Laguna Beach area and don't particularly rate the St. Regis, but I can see how people who don't live on the coasts could really enjoy it. I see more kids at the Huntington Beach hotels like the Hyatt Regency and the Waterfront Hilton. There's a new hotel in the Meritage collection called Pasea coming up there too.

Billiken

Level 2 Member
I am worried about my SPG points with the upcoming Marriott merger.
Rumor is that they might keep the programs separate (so much for synergies/savings post-merger).

IMHO, any mix of the two programs would likely mean a devaluation in SPG points "buying power".

FWIW, I am "taking it easy" with my SPG cards (personal and biz) so far in 2016.

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
Delta crossover too, if you flight a lot with them. Keep a look out for promotions, they recently had one where you get 2,500 points just for using their app as a hotel key.

TravMomof2

Silver Member
Get the SPG business card for your husband? How long have you had your SPG business card?
I actually already got it, arrived today. And I did try to refer him and was told the business card was unavailable for referral, personal only.

Yeh the closest beach to us is Galveston so use that as a comparison of what I'm used to.

I'm paying off a student loan so I'll use the SPG to do that (Plastiq), will give me another 7000 SPG points. We didn't do taxes bc we escrow and my husband was not to keen on mixing it up.

I'm going to take a look at the other hotels mention in this thread (thank you!) except for Hyatt Regency. We stayed their last summer and the husband was not a fan for some reason. I was fine with it.

No cash and points for my dates (high season). I kept trying to get the rep to try but she couldn't.

I agree with SPG points being a bit overrated BUT I do like Starwood hotels and I figure their good enough to get a few nice stays out of them. I find it difficult to use the card(s) for everyday spend outside of meeting the min spend.

I checked out the renovation schedule and it looks like it'll be done before our dates (end of July).

Main goal: I normally don't mind spending money to travel (I usually do and am happy to do so) but I'm just trying to see how much family vacation I can get for the least amount possible. Meaning as nice as possible for as little possible. Basically, what everyone wants. Sort of a test. Add that to us going to Disney this spring and paying all out of pocket, no points used ($7K). I need to balance that insane cost with a MUCH cheaper summer vacation.

Btw, I did buy Disney GCs from OM so I'm spending a grip but at least at 5X the points so not all is lost.

Thanks to all who replied!

Patrickthetiger

Level 2 Member
I'm paying off a student loan so I'll use the SPG to do that (Plastiq), will give me another 7000 SPG points.
Might be worth a shot to contact your student loan provider directly via phone to see if they accept CC payments over the phone. My provider (Great Lakes) accepts phone CC payments, to my surprise! You can save a considerable fee by skipping Plastiq.

TravMomof2

Silver Member
Might be worth a shot to contact your student loan provider directly via phone to see if they accept CC payments over the phone. My provider (Great Lakes) accepts phone CC payments, to my surprise! You can save a considerable fee by skipping Plastiq.
I will try but I believe it's a no-go. My loan is with Navient (formerly Sallie Mae) and I believe you can only pay the minimum amount via cc over the phone. But, I will try to speak to a CSR and see if I can get him/her to try. Can't hurt to try, I would save ~$170.

kingabraham3

Level 2 Member
woah this is mind-blowingly awesome news. the cost of my college attendance just went down by 2 (or 5) percent. thank you for sharing!

TravMomof2

Silver Member
Is there an SPG Points + Cash rate available?

I'm also in the Laguna Beach area and don't particularly rate the St. Regis, but I can see how people who don't live on the coasts could really enjoy it. I see more kids at the Huntington Beach hotels like the Hyatt Regency and the Waterfront Hilton. There's a new hotel in the Meritage collection called Pasea coming up there too.
I've never been to Huntington Beach, just Laguna Beach a few times. I really like Laguna. How does Huntington Beach compare to Laguna Beach? We have 2 kids, 6 & 7 yrs old. They love the beach but I also like having cute little shops to go to, cool places to eat, etc. I looked up Pasea and I like it simply because it's new and therefore most likely CLEAN. I know it's only 30 min up PCH but I'd still like to know the feel of the Huntington Beach area.

Sorry, I got OT here, might need a new thread.

Bury

Level 2 Member
Well, you certainly won't earn any major chain points with the Pasea :)

Huntington is more corporate/surf city USA than Laguna which used to be an artist colony. My fiance and I prefer Laguna for date-night and artsy stuff, but Huntington is probably more family friendly with huge beaches and larger attractions.

TravMomof2

Silver Member

Huntington is more corporate/surf city USA than Laguna which used to be an artist colony. My fiance and I prefer Laguna for date-night and artsy stuff, but Huntington is probably more family friendly with huge beaches and larger attractions.
Thanks for the reply!

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member

For little kids, I think Laguna Beach is more family friendly.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
I do have the business card, they still said I couldn't refer the biz card.
Whoever "they" are, they are wrong.

Log in to your SPG account. Once logged in on the homepage, there is a rotating banner with a room search tool embedded in it. Right below that room search tool should be a Refer a Friend link. That link redirects you to an AMEX landing page, where it asks if you hold the personal or business product. Click the appropriate one. Enter the AMEX login associated with the business card and you are in the referral section.

I would post the URL to the referral landing page here, but I'm not sure about the forum rules. Or you can IM me the first name and email of the person an Ill send them a link. :D

TravMomof2

Silver Member
Whoever "they" are, they are wrong.

Log in to your SPG account. Once logged in on the homepage, there is a rotating banner with a room search tool embedded in it. Right below that room search tool should be a Refer a Friend link. That link redirects you to an AMEX landing page, where it asks if you hold the personal or business product. Click the appropriate one. Enter the AMEX login associated with the business card and you are in the referral section.

I would post the URL to the referral landing page here, but I'm not sure about the forum rules. Or you can IM me the first name and email of the person an Ill send them a link. :D

Darn. "They" = CSR on chat. I was online trying to send the referral and couldn't find it so I sent an IM to a CSR and the rep told me there was no "refer a friend" with the biz version of the SPG Amex. I just went to the spg page, there is no refer a friend link under the search tool. Maybe only certain members are offered this option?? BTW, I already got the card for my husband so I couldn't send him to you as a referral. Sorry.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
Strange. I have a Refer a Friend link on the SPG homepage, and another on my account activity page where you look at and/or search the individual SPG points transactions associated with your account.

I was joking about me giving you a referral. If you can't do it amongst family/friends, you're best off using the site owners links to help support this places upkeep.

This is what my homepage looks like (not mine exactly, just the closest match I could find in Google images):

Last edited:

cavil

Level 2 Member
I'm trying to figure out a way to earn more SPG points since they are not very easy to earn, especially with the recent BB closures (mine is still open but I had stopped using it recently).
Presumably you were MSing with BB. Why not continue? It's doing you no good if you're not using it, so there's no real down side if you get shutdown. You could also get an Emerald (husband too) and load 10k per month. The load fee at WM is only $1.74 for a $998.26 load with 2 VGC's.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
i think SPG points are overrated. would rather accumulate chase UR anyways.
It's not an either/or strategy!:D

For all 1x purchases, I think SPG wins hands down, though I could understand if you prefer 2% cashback. But getting 2cpp out of SPG isn't difficult. All you need is 1.6cpm out of AS, AA, etc. 1.6cpm is a pretty low bar - even economy bookings can achieve that.