How long to wait between applications for AmEx business cards?

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I know there are specific rules for Citi and Barclay's, but are there recommendations for AmEx cards as well? Particularly, for business cards?

carlos

Level 2 Member
Amex has limit of maximum 4 credit cards per SS # but not sure if they have on how often you can apply

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Each offer spells out exactly what you can have had and when, usually right on the offer front page. For instance the 75K Business Gold offer that just surfaced (on pointscentric blog) says you can't have had that card within the past 12 months. Some Plat offers say you can't have had a Gold or Plat card within a certain time frame. Remember to ALWAYS use cookie-free or private browsing for AMEX apps!

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Each offer spells out exactly what you can have had and when, usually right on the offer front page. For instance the 75K Business Gold offer that just surfaced (on pointscentric blog) says you can't have had that card within the past 12 months. Some Plat offers say you can't have had a Gold or Plat card within a certain time frame. Remember to ALWAYS use cookie-free or private browsing for AMEX apps!
Thanks. I wasn't referring to churning the same card, but the time in between applying for 2 different AmEx Business cards.

Regarding using an inkognito window, that is probably good advice for many credit card applications, also because of aggressive affiliate links and the cookies they leave behind. By the way, has anyone ever tried starting a "cashback portal" of sort for credit card applications?

andysiz

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I wasn't referring to churning the same card, but the time in between applying for 2 different AmEx Business cards.

Regarding using an inkognito window, that is probably good advice for many credit card applications, also because of aggressive affiliate links and the cookies they leave behind. By the way, has anyone ever tried starting a "cashback portal" of sort for credit card applications?
@KennyBSAT was spelling it out for you. Regardless of what you mean by churning, each card offer will state what will disqualify you for the bonus. If the two cards you want are a biz rewards gold and platinum business, you may or may not be able to get both sign up bonuses, depending on the terms of each offer. Some offers are stricter than others, as @KennyBSAT pointed out by examples. So you may get that second card but not the corresponding sign up bonus.

If you're talking about unrelated cards and you're wondering whether one should wait between apps, or you don't care about the sign up bonuses and just want to get approved for two biz cards, generally amex does not have such a velocity restriction other than 1 app/day (used to be you could apply for 2/3/4 in one day), in my experience. That, and Amex generally won't give you more than 4 credit (not charge) cards across all personal and biz accounts, as @carlosmendia stated.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
75k again for BGR? Hmm.... The only thing is I wish they had a card you could downgrade that to with no AF.

F

Fuerza

75k again for BGR? Hmm.... The only thing is I wish they had a card you could downgrade that to with no AF.
I've got the same offer for BRG. I'm tempted to apply but I'm waiting on my reports to clear up.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I've got the same offer for BRG. I'm tempted to apply but I'm waiting on my reports to clear up.
Obviously you should do what you want, but my experience is that AMEX is easy and doesn't care how many apps, new accounts and pulls you have. I opened my OBC after Blue Wednesday, ~35 other accts spread pretty evenly over the past 2 years, had closed my old BRG 10/2013 and was approved no problem for another one on Monday. Not approved instantly, the decision screen asked me to call but the questions were 100% ID verification and then approved.

DL172

Level 2 Member
As other have weighed in, getting approved for AMEX is second to none, as long as you fit the typical MS profile (stellar credit score but tons of inquiries). Case in point, today I got approved for AMEX Plat and Gold business cards, 175k of MR love total, and a Capital One Venture. Just last month, I was rejected for my 5th INK card from chase :(

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

As other have weighed in, getting approved for AMEX is second to none, as long as you fit the typical MS profile (stellar credit score but tons of inquiries). Case in point, today I got approved for AMEX Plat and Gold business cards, 175k of MR love total, and a Capital One Venture. Just last month, I was rejected for my 5th INK card from chase :(
Platinum and Gold at the same time? How the hell did you swing that?

F

Fuerza

Platinum and Gold at the same time? How the hell did you swing that?
It's possible, the rules aren't well defined. Some say apply for a revolver then a charge card. To get 2 charge cards in a single app is pretty unique. Most have the caveat of charge card rules.

DL172

Level 2 Member
It's possible, the rules aren't well defined. Some say apply for a revolver then a charge card. To get 2 charge cards in a single app is pretty unique. Most have the caveat of charge card rules.

I applied under two separate referral codes under the sameday. AMEX just started bombarding me with apply for gold 75k and platinum 100k, I've given the extras to friends. Actually, the RSVP #s are not attached to any business/name.

kidooo

Level 2 Member
I applied under two separate referral codes under the sameday. AMEX just started bombarding me with apply for gold 75k and platinum 100k, I've given the extras to friends. Actually, the RSVP #s are not attached to any business/name.

Do you have any left? Looking to apply for spouse

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Is there a problem w Amex business cards being L3 and therefore more liable to AA from GCs for min spend? Or do folks just blast through 5k pretty quick generaly speaking?

DL172

Level 2 Member
Is there a problem w Amex business cards being L3 and therefore more liable to AA from GCs for min spend? Or do folks just blast through 5k pretty quick generaly speaking?
From my experience last month, I blasted through real quickly. However, I can't guarantee times haven't changed.

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Thanks much. Haven't given amex Biz cards a try yet. Anyone happen to know if the GCs at BB count toward the 3x on "computer hardware, software, etc made directly from select providers"?

EDIT: BB not on the list.

Last edited:
F

Fuerza

I applied for the AmEx Biz Platinum and was approved. I've read where you can apply for two cards in one day. Is this a 24 hour window?

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
Just wanted to check in on time between applications for Amex cards. I applied for two cards on 3/31, and was hoping to apply for 2 more this week. Do I have to wait until 90 days pass or am I ready to apply?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to check in on time between applications for Amex cards. I applied for two cards on 3/31, and was hoping to apply for 2 more this week. Do I have to wait until 90 days pass or am I ready to apply?
You're going to have to read the terms and conditions of the card, but it is pretty soon, particularly if all of the same type (personal or business)

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
Matt - are you referring to the 12 month "churn" time period to get the bonus? Assuming I'm going on that front, I'm just wondering if there's a limit to how many new accounts you can apply for within a short time period. I.e., do I need to wait until I'm >90 days from my last applications for Amex cards.

pstravels

Level 2 Member
This only pertains to apps on the same day...but the logic probably applies for a 30 day time frame.

For Amex... my experience is that they will auto approve you for one credit card product..but after that they will put it in pending for another credit card application.

Same if you apply for two charge cards.

However, you can get two cards auto approved if one is a credit and the other is a charge.