How Long to Reapply?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK, through an internal systems glitch, i.e. I miscalculated, my wife missed out on a bonus. We cancelled the card. How long before she might be able to reapply and earn the bonus miles?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This is a rare case, so hard to say specifically. Generally, when reapplying for cards people already have secured the bonus and are going for the second one (this is called Churning). The rules of churning differ by card and card issuer.

If you've not actually received the first bonus it could be that you fall afoul of churning limitations by unfortunate default.

The first thing you should do when inquiring about this on a forum is to mention the card so the churning rules could be considered.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK thanks. I missed the bonus by 4$ and after three tries they still refused it. OK I will do under churning

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
BofA(worst bank ever) Alaska Airlines card. My fault but they could have extended offer or let us do something. Cancelled card. Not sure if we even want 30K AS miles but when would we reapply if we felt like it?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
BofA(worst bank ever) Alaska Airlines card. My fault but they could have extended offer or let us do something. Cancelled card. Not sure if we even want 30K AS miles but when would we reapply if we felt like it?
BoA has been pretty liberal for me. I had 2 personal and one business Alaska cards until a week ago when I canceled one (fee due). I was doubtful I would get the second personal, as the previous was only acquired 2 months previous. But they gave it to me. I was in a hurry to reach a mile threshold for an upcoming trip, hence the aggressiveness on my part. Turns out I didn't need the miles at that time, but I've got part of some future trip waiting for me now.

I would suggest waiting until it's been a month or 2 (and perhaps it already has) and trying again.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm talking about the same card you know, not a different one. Would this make a difference?
No. I got a second Alaska Airlines personal card 2 months after getting the same card. And I've actually had others of the same, but way more in a "distant past" thing.

Canceling cards isn't always as easy with BoA as with other places. They canceled mine without too much argument (even noticing I had another, which may have suppressed further argument). My wife did not get off as easily. I wasn't there, but she told be they tried hard to get her to keep it. Unfortunately I wasn't there to hear and consider their offers ... I should have been ... and she was determined to cancel!

Last edited:

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Well, I canceled hers because of their unwillingness to do anything for us when we fell $4 short of the bonus. I know it was our fault but we had an excuse for how it happened and they didn't even give us the courtesy of a proper response. all they said was one line "You failed to reach the bonus" WTF! I knew that. That's why we were appealing to them and going through chain of command. they pretended to be considering it but then send a form letter?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Well, I canceled hers because of their unwillingness to do anything for us when we fell $4 short of the bonus. I know it was our fault but we had an excuse for how it happened and they didn't even give us the courtesy of a proper response. all they said was one line "You failed to reach the bonus" WTF! I knew that. That's why we were appealing to them and going through chain of command. they pretended to be considering it but then send a form letter?
As "hackers" (ok, some of us ... hobbyists then), we live by the terms attach to each credit card application. We know our rights and what we have to do to maximize our bonus. And when we meet the terms and requirements, even if by the slimmest of margins, we expect the rewards. However, I can see the banks wanting to do the same thing. The terms are there for both parties to know what is required and if fulfilled, what is provided. In short, and I'm not trying to be a snot, it was your bad and begging for forgiveness is certainly the right thing to do, but you shouldn't get too upset if the answer is no. It's within their rights, as printed. There is nothing personal in the terms ... they are the rules, plain and often not-so-simple.

I'd take this as a learning experience. You missed the mark, just barely, but you did. There is still much value in collecting AS miles via this card, and as I've pointed out, the fact that it is a measly 25k (or sometimes more) is ok ... you can get more than one over time and build a collection. I flew 2 home from Rome on AS miles in business. I've used these miles for domestic business; perhaps not the best value, but they worked. These were to cover a one way either to or from South Africa for 2 in biz, but I found another way. But now I'm sitting on 2 biz seats to/from almost anywhere I want. One way, but that's the beauty of diversifying ... I have many options.

You might try an email or even a snail-mail letter to the executive offices of Bank of America. Be polite and honest. I mean, it can't hurt at this point. Plead your case and accept whatever comes back. In the meantime, plan for another application and start your collection of AS miles, but make sure you go over on the spend, and try to do it in 2 months instead of 3 so you have time to adjust for any miscalculations.

R.R.

Level 2 Member
There is still much value in collecting AS miles via this card
I'd like to second everything in @knick1959 's post. Every time I do an App-O-Rama for Spouse or myself, I tack on an application for a BoA Alaska card (either personal or business), and each of us has had as many as three personal and one business card concurrently. I cycle the cancellations, too, when the annual fee comes due for each card.

I like Alaska miles for several reasons:
  • I live in Seattle, an Alaska hub, so the miles are easy to use and sometimes the best option
  • I love their easy-to-use website for booking award travel
  • Applying and canceling is very easy to do, much more often than other banks, so I have greater flexibility in building my balances
Next spring I'll be using Alaska miles to take part in the IcelandAir stopover program, on my way to Europe, and I expect their other partnerships (i.e. JAL, Emirates) to prove just as fruitful. It's tempting to dismiss a bank after a negative experience, but I'd say, instead, let's be forward-looking and think of the future opportunities available from this card.

Craig

Level 2 Member
I'd like to second everything in @knick1959 's post. Every time I do an App-O-Rama for Spouse or myself, I tack on an application for a BoA Alaska card (either personal or business), and each of us has had as many as three personal and one business card concurrently. I cycle the cancellations, too, when the annual fee comes due for each card.

I like Alaska miles for several reasons:
  • I live in Seattle, an Alaska hub, so the miles are easy to use and sometimes the best option
  • I love their easy-to-use website for booking award travel
  • Applying and canceling is very easy to do, much more often than other banks, so I have greater flexibility in building my balances
Next spring I'll be using Alaska miles to take part in the IcelandAir stopover program, on my way to Europe, and I expect their other partnerships (i.e. JAL, Emirates) to prove just as fruitful. It's tempting to dismiss a bank after a negative experience, but I'd say, instead, let's be forward-looking and think of the future opportunities available from this card.
In addition to this, you get a Companion Pass with every new Alaska card. Being in Seattle, redeeming 15 of these in 3 years has been the single most valuable aspect of this Hobby to me

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
As "hackers" (ok, some of us ... hobbyists then), we live by the terms attach to each credit card application. We know our rights and what we have to do to maximize our bonus. And when we meet the terms and requirements, even if by the slimmest of margins, we expect the rewards. However, I can see the banks wanting to do the same thing. The terms are there for both parties to know what is required and if fulfilled, what is provided. In short, and I'm not trying to be a snot, it was your bad and begging for forgiveness is certainly the right thing to do, but you shouldn't get too upset if the answer is no. It's within their rights, as printed. There is nothing personal in the terms ... they are the rules, plain and often not-so-simple.

I'd take this as a learning experience. You missed the mark, just barely, but you did. There is still much value in collecting AS miles via this card, and as I've pointed out, the fact that it is a measly 25k (or sometimes more) is ok ... you can get more than one over time and build a collection. I flew 2 home from Rome on AS miles in business. I've used these miles for domestic business; perhaps not the best value, but they worked. These were to cover a one way either to or from South Africa for 2 in biz, but I found another way. But now I'm sitting on 2 biz seats to/from almost anywhere I want. One way, but that's the beauty of diversifying ... I have many options.

You might try an email or even a snail-mail letter to the executive offices of Bank of America. Be polite and honest. I mean, it can't hurt at this point. Plead your case and accept whatever comes back. In the meantime, plan for another application and start your collection of AS miles, but make sure you go over on the spend, and try to do it in 2 months instead of 3 so you have time to adjust for any miscalculations.

You miss the entire point. I agree they had the right to deny my request but to send back as if I didn't know the reason for the initial denial is insulting. They should have said we reviewed your request and could not bend the rules or couldn't find a legit reason for our missing the mark but just a one line snail mail not even indicating it was reviewed. I have also had dozens of other problems with them like they somehow took us off autopay so that one card was actually charged as late for a $6.04 balance that I only put on to keep the card open as it is our oldest one. also they charged my bank account twice on the Alaska card which screwed us up in our calculations, like I had a $623 credit! They are idiots but I'm sure other banks are as bad.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
You miss the entire point. I agree they had the right to deny my request but to send back as if I didn't know the reason for the initial denial is insulting. They should have said we reviewed your request and could not bend the rules or couldn't find a legit reason for our missing the mark but just a one line snail mail not even indicating it was reviewed. I have also had dozens of other problems with them like they somehow took us off autopay so that one card was actually charged as late for a $6.04 balance that I only put on to keep the card open as it is our oldest one. also they charged my bank account twice on the Alaska card which screwed us up in our calculations, like I had a $623 credit! They are idiots but I'm sure other banks are as bad.
No, I got the entire point. We're just looking at it from different angles. Neither of us is wrong. If you expected personalized service from the card and bank and didn't get it, you are free to feel insulted. I wouldn't be, but we're all different.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Problem is that at least a third of the time, they screw up points/miles to which we are entitled and it takes multiple contacts just to get to where you should be. It took me about ten contacts to get 30000 Accor bonus points and I spend 50+ nights a year in their good properties a year, this year it will be 85.