Hotel in Lima, Peru

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
This isn't a hotel review, but more of a search for a hotel review. Hopefully this is the right thread to post in.
Sorry if it's not and feel free to move it as needed.

A friend and I, both ladies, are going to Peru in September. We need a hotel in Lima for just one night. We would prefer something close to the airport since we have to head out bright and early the next morning, but we also would like something in a good safe area since it's just the two of us. How is the area around the airport for hotels? Are there even hotels near the airport in Lima? Obviously, I've never been there and neither has she, so we are both kind of clueless. If there is nothing near the airport, which areas in Lima would you suggest staying in? Lastly, I would prefer to use points, pretty much any program, to book, but it's not an absolute necessity. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike @ The Hustle Blog

Level 2 Member
From my research when we visited earlier this year, the area around the airport isn't the greatest. We ended up staying at the Radisson Hotel Decapolis Miraflores on a friends & family rate and also the Sheraton convention center on points. The Sheraton was a bit further than the airport in the San Isidro area.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
From my research when we visited earlier this year, the area around the airport isn't the greatest. We ended up staying at the Radisson Hotel Decapolis Miraflores on a friends & family rate and also the Sheraton convention center on points. The Sheraton was a bit further than the airport in the San Isidro area.
Did you end up just taking a taxi to get to the hotel from the airport?

McRingRing

Level 2 Member
I was just in Peru a month ago. Lot of fun!!

There's a Ramada that's right at the airport. 30 second walk from the terminal. I've only been in the lobby and the restaurant, but it seems pretty nice. When I was there they were doing some construction on the roof and the people I met who stayed there complained about the noise. They didn't do work overnight and if you're flying out early it shouldn't affect you anyway.

Also, there are a number of hostels 5-10 minutes away. I stayed at Kurmi Hostel and would definitely recommend it. Despite the name, you get your own room and bathroom and it includes breakfast. It was $22 or so for the night. The owner will arrange for his dad to pick you up at the airport for 25 soles. Not only is this adorable, I highly recommend this because the building is pretty nondescript and I wouldn't count on a taxi driver being able to find it. They will hail a cab for you in the morning... 10-15 soles back to the airport. The area didn't seem dangerous, but it was more industrial so there wasn't really anything going on at night.

Other than the Ramada, there aren't many chain hotel options until you get into the city and you're looking at a 30 minute cab ride each way assuming no traffic.

Alpen_Geoff

Level 2 Member
Traffic can get pretty bad between Lima central and the airport (in both directions), depending on what time you arrive to LIM I would probably just stay close to the airport though if you have a decent amount of time (closer to 24 hrs) I'd head into the city as the airport area seemed a bit rough to go wandering around. We stayed at the 4 points in Miraflores last time but that's a decent hike from the airport, next year we have a ~12hr layover and are just staying at the Ramada to try and get some decent sleep.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Miraflores is the spot for sure. When we were there we stayed with a friends family but visited Miraflores for drinks/dinner, its a fancier neighborhood and busy enough to be safe. Personally I have never had any problems in Peru, I think they are one of friendliest nations (if I can generalize like that) but busier is always better for safety.

smittytabb

Staff member
Have been to Lima twice. The area near the airport is not a place to stay, period. Miraflores is great. I love the Miraflores Park Hotel, but there are many others in the area. Peru is marvelous. Enjoy!

JeffB

Level 2 Member
If you are leaving early I would stay at the Ramada at the airport. We stayed there one night between flights and it was fine. That way you don't have to deal with a taxi or traffic. We also stayed at the Swissotel in Miraflores as a part of a tour but was really there only to sleep.

Sunny

Level 2 Member
We stayed at the Ramada at the airport. We arrived around midnight and were departing at 8am so we just wanted to sleep. It was not a "nice" hotel but fine to get some rest.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
This is all such great advice, everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. How long of a taxi ride is it from the airport to miraflores, would you say?

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
Traffic can get pretty bad between Lima central and the airport (in both directions), depending on what time you arrive to LIM I would probably just stay close to the airport though if you have a decent amount of time (closer to 24 hrs) I'd head into the city as the airport area seemed a bit rough to go wandering around. We stayed at the 4 points in Miraflores last time but that's a decent hike from the airport, next year we have a ~12hr layover and are just staying at the Ramada to try and get some decent sleep.
We don't arrive until sa round 10pm and then have to be back to the airport for a flight leaving around 1pm, so definitely not very much time at all. :(

JeffB

Level 2 Member
This is all such great advice, everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. How long of a taxi ride is it from the airport to miraflores, would you say?
I think 30 minutes minimum. It could be more. Taxis cost anywhere from $25-50 each way to Miraflores depending on the company. You do have to be careful with the taxis and many people recommend not walking out of the airport and catching one. There are taxi companies inside the airport and of course you will pay a premium for that but they are considered safe.

I really would consider staying at the Ramada at the airport with the limited time that you have. It usually costs more than the hotels in other areas but once you factor in the cost of a taxi and the hassle it probably does not make much difference.

Sunny

Level 2 Member
I agree. I don't see the point in taking the time to go from the airport into town and back again. Don't forget that you'll have to get through immigration, pick up your bags from baggage claim, etc. Landing at 10 means leaving the airport past 11, getting into Miraflores at 11:45, etc.

You can get to the Ramada walking only a few min inside the airport terminal.

DornierDo28

Miraflores is the spot for sure. When we were there we stayed with a friends family but visited Miraflores for drinks/dinner, its a fancier neighborhood and busy enough to be safe. Personally I have never had any problems in Peru, I think they are one of friendliest nations (if I can generalize like that) but busier is always better for safety.
I'm going to be a contradictory voice and suggest anywhere but Miraflores when staying in Lima if you want to see a fraction of the real country and not an Americanised plastic shopping mall full of chain shops and 1%er Peruvians. Seriously, even if you prefer to stay there, make sure you get out and about and see what norma; Peruvian people do...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to be a contradictory voice and suggest anywhere but Miraflores when staying in Lima if you want to see a fraction of the real country and not an Americanised plastic shopping mall full of chain shops and 1%er Peruvians. Seriously, even if you prefer to stay there, make sure you get out and about and see what norma; Peruvian people do...
Well, hopefully the remainder of the quote covers that...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt, forgive me but I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

Either way, each to their own! :)
I said I was staying with a local Peruvian family in their home, and we went out to Miraflores at their suggestion and enjoyed it. You don't get much more 'real country' than that.

DornierDo28

I said I was staying with a local Peruvian family in their home, and we went out to Miraflores at their suggestion and enjoyed it. You don't get much more 'real country' than that.
Yeah, I had a lot of locals recommend it to me too - it's very common it seems everywhere in the world for people to recommend things for their stereotype of a tourist (rather than someone who wants to get off the beaten track and see things as they are). I thought it was lucky that, even with ropey Spanish, it's possible to find the local secret places and more hidden spots too :) And Lima's food scene is incredible - apart from two or three Michelin-standard places in Miraflores which actually live to the hype, once you get away from the identikit crap and Lonely Planet picks, the place is a gastronomic delight.

The great thing is Lima is so huge it has all sorts of scenes going on to get involved in. While nowhere near as interesting as Bogota, BsAs or Santiago, there's a lot more under the tourist trail surface to discover than other major South American cities (although even tiny places like Montevideo have a lot going on if you spend long enough getting to know the place and people).