Home for the Holidays: Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui Regency Suite Review

asthejoeflies

Staff member

This super long window was pretty nice

Like in Taiwan, I booked a cash and points room at the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui and confirmed a suite upgrade using my Diamond suite upgrades. As a Category 4 hotel, this cost 7500 points and $100 per night. Here are my impressions of the hotel.

Lobby and Surrounding Area

The Hyatt Regency TST is very well located in the same building as the K11 mall (where we went to eat a few times.) As Trevor noted in his review, it’s a little weird that you need to take two elevators up to your room but you kind of get used to it. In general the hotel is very centrally located – it’s close to a lot of public transportation options including the MTR and Star Ferry.

The decor wasn’t as impressive as the Grand Hyatt Taipei, but the staff and service was just as attentive. Everyone was always extremely helpful, though it was a little weird that they had staff posted at like every corner of the hotel (I think it’s to prevent the public from trying to access the rooms).

Regency Suite

The Regency suite was definitely smaller than our suite in Taipei. It still was pretty big, with a large bathroom, a decent view, and a nice living room. One weird thing about the room was that it was oval in shape (Hong Kong architecture I guess). I’m honestly not sure if that made the room feel bigger or smaller.

The large bathroom was very nice

It did give us the chance to run around in circles looking for M. I had some nitpicks with the room – the light switches weren’t intuitive (or intuitively placed), the closet was far away from the bed so slightly inconvenient – little things like that.

It’s always nice to have a couch in a separate room – especially with a sleeping baby

Still, considering the fact that I am currently sitting in a room in Hong Kong that is less than half the size of the Regency suite, I can’t really complain. The fridge had enough space for M’s milk and we had plenty of space to spread out. All in all I was happy with the room.

The hallway in the suite was a good staging area/stroller storage

Regency Club and Amenities

The club offered a modest breakfast and some snacks and drinks during happy hour. They always had a selection of hot food that you could ask the waiter to bring you, though during happy hour this was usually just something small.

Cocktail hour at the Regency Club

It was nice to have breakfast, and like any of my stays with lounge access, I was always up there getting my caffeine fix after long days.

View from the Regency Club

The hotel has a great amenity: the Handyphone. It’s a smartphone that you can use for the duration of your stay. Although I have international data through T-mobile, it was nice to have a phone that was on a better service carrier. You can log in with all your personal google information and the phone wipes when you are done (you can wipe it yourself too).

Getting a free smartphone loaner is a great amenity

Final Thoughts

I was definitely spoiled by the Grand Hyatt Taipei – although the Hyatt Regency TST was nice I wasn’t especially blown away. The location and smartphone are great and the staff is top notch, other than that the hotel didn’t really stand out to me. Still, I’m not gonna look a suite upgrade gift horse in the mouth – we had a very comfortable and relaxing stay and I was glad we booked it. There are a ton of hotel options in Hong Kong though so it’s definitely worth it to look around.

Cereal at breakfast is never a bad thing

Other Posts in this Series

Introduction

United Domestic First and LAX Star Alliance Lounge

EVA Royal Laurel Class Review

Using Public Transportation in Taiwan with a Toddler

Visiting the Taipei Zoo

Eating in Taipei

Grand Hyatt Taipei King Suite Review

A Tough Flight with a Toddler

Public Transportation in Hong Kong with a Toddler

Typical Hong Kong Tourist Activities