Help needed

Mel

Level 2 Member
My husband and I need to be in 3 places at once over a weekend DTW-CIU-ORD-DTW. Flights can be achieved using Delta on regional jets only between DTW-CIU. Flight is in late October.

I have 51767 MR, Chase UR 22297, Delta 22863 Skymiles. Chase doesn't transfer to Delta. I also have 50K BA Avios, 27K Alaska and 100K American.

Known items -
The whole itinerary prices out at 45K Skymiles per person. I know this isn't good value but the personal cost is worth it to me. The Dollar Cost is $~425.
BA doesn't appear to run DTW-ORD.
American might run but that would be 25K skymiles DTW-CIU and 25K? American. Not worth it.
We could drive but would be super tired.
My Delta Amex closes next Friday. I have a 15K limit.

Possible ideas -
I can use AP to get 1K this month.
I can buy Amex GC prior to statement end - 5K*2.
I can generate other spend.

Is there a better flying method that I can take? Are there faster ways to generate the points?

Last edited:

Mel

Level 2 Member
I think my plan may be to transfer 80K Holiday Inn points to Delta. 10K Hotel = 2K Miles

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of questions... why do you need to be in all 3 places (I don't want to know your business - I want to know if there are issues regarding being in CIU at X hr and ORD at Y hr)

If you have 22.8K delta now you need another 67.2K miles, how are you planning to earn those? 80K Holiday Inn points is a lot for 16K Delta, I guess more accurately you mean IHG points?? You can get a night in NY Times Square Intercontinental for 50K of those...

Mel

Level 2 Member
Present at a conference on Saturday. Eagle Court of Honor and Wedding on Sunday. Flights work out.

1 option is to transfer the MR points into Delta. While the Holiday Inn points have value, there was minimal cost to earn them due to the Big Win and work travel. I will be left with 150K HI points post 80K.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
It looks like you can only go to CIU from Detroit. Unless I'm reading wikipedia wrong. So out of curiosity does that mean on your itinerary you're planning to go back to Detroit on the way to Chicago?

If I were in your shoes I might think about it like this: The cost per person is $425. For 80,000 IHG points I could get 2 nights in an Intercontinental that might cost $400/night (Berchtesgaden, Moorea). So I guess it depends what you value more. But I digress.

You could check the loads for AA flights from DTW => ORD and back, seats could eventually open up, especially if you leave DTW Sat night. You're right that BA doesn't fly it, but you can use your Avios to book on AA if and when those seats open up and it'd only cost you 9000 per person RT. Say you book that with a RT DTW=>CIU on Delta, your total outlay will still be less overall. There's no guarantee those seats open up but something to think about. Could always combine with a one way cash flight?

Good luck!

Mel

Level 2 Member
From a Cash ticket perspective, there is a decent discount in paying for the whole round trip versus individual pricing.

Yes, I have to fly back through DTW to get to ORD from CIU.

Do I call BA to book AA flights? Efficient use of airline loopholes and alliances is a big part of my education that is needed.