Fuel Surcharge for JAL using AA miles

Chum

Level 2 Member
It was my first time to book JAL flight from KIX to SFO using AA miles in business class. They charged me $48 for taxes and/or fuel surcharges... does that sound right? I thought we do not have to pay those when using AA miles with JAL and Cathay.

BYOB.PSL

irl is good
Book a trip to London on BA :)
I would love to see the numbers on how much BA award space goes unclaimed compared to other transatlantic flights that don't pass along high fees. I have to imagine there's a significant disparity.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Book a trip to London on BA :)
I saw a post somewhere (Twitter?) that listed airport fees for most of the major airports in Europe. England and France were at the top of the list.

I wonder if there is a worldwide list?

Ski4ever

Level 2 Member
Sounds right to me - my JAL award was right around there, maybe 52? Like Matt said - book a BA award through London and you'll feel this is quite reasonable! A lot of international award tickets have taxes/fees like this.

crapz1

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I paid about $64 total in fees for my family of 4 flying JAL using AA miles for this coming December from SFO to TPE. I was totally fine with it considering what the cash price would have been! Now I just gotta keep checking for business class award availability so I can get these seats upgraded.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I paid about $64 total in fees for my family of 4 flying JAL using AA miles for this coming December from SFO to TPE. I was totally fine with it considering what the cash price would have been! Now I just gotta keep checking for business class award availability so I can get these seats upgraded.
JAL is a bit harder than CX on last minute availability. I lived in Taipei for a year, what an amazing city. It's my favorite. Taiwan isn't talked too much in the miles community, but it's a real treasure.

Do note that China Airlines and EVA business class are so easy to score last minute, with delta and united, respectfully.