Free (small) AD&D insurance policies

This is a funny thing that has now happened a couple times.

When I was in college I opened a bank account with M&T Bank, which is apparently still a real bank, and received a promotion for $1,000 in accidental death and dismemberment coverage (the idea being that you would opt in for expensive "additional coverage"). I didn't think much about it, but I guess the policy is still in effect since I got a letter a few months back indicating that it had been transferred to a new plan administrator.

I went on not thinking much about it, when I received another offer last week, from the same plan administrator, linked to another new account I opened a few months back, this time at Tyndall Federal Credit Union. This time the offer was for $1,500 in free AD&D coverage.

It really does seem to be free, although I expect I'll be receiving lots of junk mail extolling the virtues of purchasing additional coverage.

So now I have $2,500 in AD&D coverage! I wonder if anyone else has received these free insurance offers, and what banks are most likely/certain to trigger the offers?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I have a couple of them, too. The trick is to a)remember that you have the coverage and b)let your beneficiary know about it and c)die or be dismembered accidentally.

C) is really the only hard part of the list to deal with.

shootenducs

Level 2 Member
I've rec'd these as well. Mostly with credit unions. I have them floating around. I'm going to add this to my list of things to do on a rainy day.

madage

Level 2 Member
I have several, too. I think every credit union I've ever joined has sent me a free $1,000 policy.