FR Risk? Approved for new card with 15k CL. Previous approvals only 3k or less.

pstravels

Level 2 Member
Parent with no verifiable income got approved w 15k CL.

They list my income. I got a FR recently, so am weary for them as well.

Their previous approvals have been for limits around 1k-2.5k.

This 15k CL sounds ridiculously high in comparison. It was for the Delta platinum, but still.

I'm thinking that I should call in and reduce the CL???

Maybe to 5k. Parent doesn't plan to use card more than 2k bonus spend, and maybe less than 10 throughout year.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Are you planning heavy MS on the card? Assuming your spending habits don't drastically change, I think having an Amex with a higher limit might help you with other issuers.

pstravels

Level 2 Member
No MS planned. Just read report of people getting approved with Amex Card with much higher CL than usual, and getting FR'ed later...

Parent only wants card for bonus. Staying away from MSing on it.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Dropping it might help avoid an FR, but I doubt the account will get FR'd unless they start spending crazy anyways. It wouldn't shock me if Amex laid careful eyes on a new account with a much higher limit than previous cards, but doing an FR is a totally different thing. So I'd just leave it where it is. That's my thinking, although others may see it differently.

Also, assuming the person isn't spending anywhere close to that amount in a month and is letting their statements close before paying off, the $15k will always result in a lower CL utilization, which should marginally help their credit score.