Flex Perks Visa Olympics Promo

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I currently have a Flex Perks CC and just applied for a second one to take advantage of the Olympics Promo. I just got a "pending review" response on my application.

With US Bank, does anyone know if it is better to sit tight or call the reconsideration line proactively?

smittytabb

Staff member
I currently have a Flex Perks CC and just applied for a second one to take advantage of the Olympics Promo. I just got a "pending review" response on my application.

With US Bank, does anyone know if it is better to sit tight or call the reconsideration line proactively?
Did you get a different version, as in an Amex if you have a Visa, or the identical card to the one you have? If it's the same one, I'd sit tight.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
I finally bit the bullet and applied today. Have a current biz card but closed my last personal card over a year ago. Mine went pending as well. Thinking I will probably wait for the letter in the mail then go from there.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I applied for 2 of these last week and it stated application pending, got 2 cards in the mail today.

I highly recommend this card for anyone who does any domestic travel, it is a key tool in the arsenal. For min spend, consider Kiva.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 5.36.52 PM.png

The bonus for this card is 20,000 pts plus bonus points for each medal if you apply at the moment.

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 5.37.57 PM.png

Using the current count, the bonus is valued at:

Gold 9200 pts
Silver 3700 pts
Bronze 1900 pts
Total Bonus = 14,800
Plus standard 20,000

Total Bonus = 34,800

Flexperks have an award redemption system as follows:

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 5.40.39 PM.png

By the time you add in the min spend, another 6,000 pts.. you are at 40,000 which can be redeemed at $800.

somy

I have a usbank personal visa. Do you think I can apply for another personal visa card to get the olympic bonus?

MLH

Level 2 Member
I've seen a couple people mention in various places that they've rec'd a second bonus after having closed previous cards, I'm curious if anyone has rec'd the bonus while still having their card active

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I just applied online for the biz card and rec'd an instant approval. It's been over 24 months since I've applied for a card from US Bank. I had the personal flexperks after the 2012 Olympics, and Club Carlson personal & business cards.

somy

I just applied online for the biz card and rec'd an instant approval. It's been over 24 months since I've applied for a card from US Bank. I had the personal flexperks after the 2012 Olympics, and Club Carlson personal & business cards.
Can you apply for a usbank business card as a sole propiertor or you need to have a big business entity to get approved?

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Can you apply for a usbank business card as a sole propiertor or you need to have a big business entity to get approved?
I applied as a sole proprietor. The application will allow you to use your social security number instead of an EIN.

MLH

Level 2 Member
Instant approval on a USB biz card? Nice. I was 0/2 on biz instant approvals, although I was able to successfully argue for recon on 1, but it took a while. And this was a legit business, not a business idea :)

dockers

Level 2 Member
Heads up to anyone considering applying - I saw some chatter earlier today that using a referral link would make you ineligible for the Olympic bonus points.

Jedi

Level 2 Member
I signed up for the US Bank $150 checking promo - see Doc of credit. I proactively asked and the banker said I was pre-approved for the Flex Perks, but I have higher priorities now. However, he did say that best to apply in branch since if you apply online, the "preapproval" is not recognized as it is in branch. Of course, the banker will go to bat for you as well if pending.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I wonder if that's going to be the new trend--signing up in branches for CCs.

It would put a lot of bloggers out of business and limit new people since they wouldn't know which cards to sign up for.

smittytabb

Staff member
I wonder if that's going to be the new trend--signing up in branches for CCs.

It would put a lot of bloggers out of business and limit new people since they wouldn't know which cards to sign up for.
It's a question of scale. Signing up in branch has always existed. We are talking about it as an alternative to a process that seeks to exclude us. It's essentially a workaround. Local banks could never keep up with the demand if it became widespread. They don't have the staffing. A few years ago there was a gig here where you had to call the credit union to sign up. At first just a few of us knew about it and then the flood doors opened a little more and they got hammered. And that was fairly small scale all things considered.

As for the bloggers, that is evolving. A lot of people used to have affiliate links in the beginning. That's when the whole thing mushroomed. A few hit serious pay dirt and sold their blogs and made very serious money. Of course at the same time the airline, hotel and travel industry has gone through huge changes. Airline bankruptcies and industry consolidation of both hotels and airlines have also had an impact. So has the marketing and eventual mainstream status of this hobby. So I suspect there will always be online apps and blogs that sell credit cards. There just may not be as many of those either...my two cents.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
It's a question of scale. Signing up in branch has always existed. We are talking about it as an alternative to a process that seeks to exclude us. It's essentially a workaround. Local banks could never keep up with the demand if it became widespread. They don't have the staffing. A few years ago there was a gig here where you had to call the credit union to sign up. At first just a few of us knew about it and then the flood doors opened a little more and they got hammered. And that was fairly small scale all things considered.

As for the bloggers, that is evolving. A lot of people used to have affiliate links in the beginning. That's when the whole thing mushroomed. A few hit serious pay dirt and sold their blogs and made very serious money. Of course at the same time the airline, hotel and travel industry has gone through huge changes. Airline bankruptcies and industry consolidation of both hotels and airlines have also had an impact. So has the marketing and eventual mainstream status of this hobby. So I suspect there will always be online apps and blogs that sell credit cards. There just may not be as many of those either...my two cents.
Yeah, totally understand its a work around for those with a lot of CCs. Because it was so publicized, a lot of new people were going into branches to apply. I don't know how many I told it wasn't necessary.

I just recently had my first AF hit, so I don't have any historical background. I always appreciate your perspective and others who have been doing this for awhile. I can't imagine all the changes you've seen based on what I've experienced for 2016!

smittytabb

Staff member
Yeah, totally understand its a work around for those with a lot of CCs. Because it was so publicized, a lot of new people were going into branches to apply. I don't know how many I told it wasn't necessary.

I just recently had my first AF hit, so I don't have any historical background. I always appreciate your perspective and others who have been doing this for awhile. I can't imagine all the changes you've seen based on what I've experienced for 2016!
2016 has been ridiculously absurd in terms of changes for the worse.

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
Catching up on this card late. Don't you have to freeze some credit bureaus to get this card?
ARS and sagestream per DOC

Code:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/two-credit-bureaus-you-should-freeze-before-you-apply-for-a-u-s-bank-credit-card/

Glenn

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I read that. Was under a time crunch and couldn't be bothered. Pending of course. We'll see. Not going to call in probably.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
I applied for the personal Visa in January and cancelled it last week to apply for this promo. Also got pending, but the card arrived over the weekend with a higher CL than the one in January.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Catching up on this card late. Don't you have to freeze some credit bureaus to get this card?
I didn't, have had a fair few apps in the past 12 months, and currently carrying 5 figure balances.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I am at 32/24 for CCs (includes business cards) , didn't freeze either. Applied on Monday for Business & Personal. Initially denied, called recon today, approved for both with way-too-large CLs. :)

Damn you Chase for not being as flexible (is I want my CS(r) the new I want my MTV?) :confused::(

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
My husband and my applications went straight to pending but both were approved in the end. This is such an easy spending challenge. I am quite pleased.

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
My husband and my applications went straight to pending but both were approved in the end. This is such an easy spending challenge. I am quite pleased.
Congrats! Approx how long did it take? Did you get an email? Or just the cards in the mail? Crossing fingers for 2 apps.

Owen

I applied for this card and got a "pending 7-10 business day" email. I called recon a couple days later and the CSR said the system had automatically declined me but she will flag my application for one of their analysts to review more closely. I got my card a week later! I would recommend calling in if my experience is any indicator.

Coldmode

I applied for this card and got a "pending 7-10 business day" email. I called recon a couple days later and the CSR said the system had automatically declined me but she will flag my application for one of their analysts to review more closely. I got my card a week later! I would recommend calling in if my experience is any indicator.
7-10 day messages usually mean you're heading to a rejection anyway, so it's usually a good idea to call when you see that. 30 day messages mean they probably just need to verify your identity, so you can call or not when that comes up. For business cards it's usually just better to let it ride.

tkky

Level 2 Member
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know when the Olympics bonus points will post?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know when the Olympics bonus points will post?
I asked about this and was told it would be 2-3 billing cycles after the spend - the 20K posts in one...

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
The fine print says"Please allow 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends on September 30, 2016 for the Visa Rio Bonus FlexPoints to be credited to your FlexPerks account."

That works out to be between Nov 11 and Nov 25.