Fixing up the house aka The DIY Thread...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So, it is T-10 days for our new home, and I have a few things to do there. The house looks great, but has thus far been used only during the summer so needs winterization.

Thus far my plan of attack for the main house is to use blown in insulation for the walls, interior and exterior, and also get into the attic and drill into the floor there to create a layer, and put the pink rolly stuff into the angled walls of the roof.
Blown in.PNG Rolled Insulation.PNG

Am not totally sold on using Pink Panther products throughout, and was also considering the value in a blown in foam insulation, and perhaps radiant shield foil.

I'll be doing all this as a one man job. Anyone have experience with such a task and what routes would be best to take?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Radiant barrier is very cheap and works well but would probably give less benefit in NY than South Texas. http://www.atticfoil.com/products-2/48-standard.html You don't need the overpriced stuff with bubble wrap etc. Here, foam would often be applied at the roof making the attic sealed and part of the conditioned space. If they do the same up there, then there's no place that radiant barrier would do any good as it must have an airspace below it in order to work.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Kenny- right now it's just wood and air... I'm debating whether to push in the pink felt stuff or spray in foam, or use radiant.

I'm leaning towards blown in between the attic floor and room ceiling, and push in felt in the attic walls.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I need to do this. We moved into a 30-yr old place and apparently, some large creature was up in the attic taking large shits. Its a nice long row of evenly spaced out piles of shit. Gotta love wild animals who are tidy.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, moving from the city to having deer walking around in the garden makes quite the change.. gonna have to learn to deal with all sorts of animals up here, including messy ones methinks.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I have to say, moving from the city to having deer walking around in the garden makes quite the change.. gonna have to learn to deal with all sorts of animals up here, including messy ones methinks.
So long as they don't shit in the attic I think you'll be ok.