Federal Debt Debate: Boomers vs Millinennials

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
For full disclosure: I don't pay attention to the news when they talk about the Federal debt. I find it boring. I have a cavalier attitude ... "it doesn't impact me" ... I view it as a wedge issue / something that politicians bring up during elections to get voters to the polls.

I'm somewhat of a political junkie, but I'm more into the tawdry scandal ("People magazine") stuff...love reading about the right-wing "crazies" like I'm not a witch Christine O'Donnell or Michele Bachmann (who is a guest star in a new movie...wait for it..Sharknado 3).

I work from home and have the TV turned on in the background...I do have MSNBC in the background. I watch Morning Joe in the mornings, love HardBall. Some will argue MSNBC is somewhat biased in their news coverage -- but I would argue the same for Faux Fox News. I stopped watching CNN -- are they still covering the Malaysian plane that disappeared 24 x 7?

I was at Starbucks...while waiting for my brew, I was checking out the newspapers. I often read Politico (they have free daily newspaper and also a weekly magazine)

What caught my eye was a story about Aaron Shock (he's a young Rep. congressman, considered a rising star...my girlfriends drool over him)...he's facing ethic violations.

I digress... there was an interesting and eye-popping article...my parents are now retired. I don't really pay attention to Social Security benefits and the payouts. My dad started collecting SS benefits at 62. My mom was all excited about getting Medicare when she turned 65.

This story has better informed me about SS payouts and the impacts of when you choose to "retire" and start collecting SS benefits...

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/the-federal-debt-debate-boomers-vs-millennials-115961.html

Economist Laurence Kotlikoff told the Senate Budget Committee last month that the U.S. government is flat broke. The very next night, he was on “PBS NewsHour” teaching upper-income professional couples how to claim tens of thousands in extra spousal benefits from a Social Security system he had just said was worse off than Detroit.

Welcome to the generational wars of the budget debate coming this month in Congress.

Trying to reach out to younger voters, Republicans are hitting hard on the theme that the federal debt is an undue burden on the new millennials. But the GOP’s lead witness in this case is also preaching how baby boomers can profit by standing the history of Social Security’s spousal benefit on its head.

One consistent theme in the larger Social Security debate is how to keep individuals in the workforce longer. It’s a common-sense goal, but it also raises real questions of equity.

In the case of the disability program, low-income workers today often face an all-or-nothing set of choices, and there is growing interest in finding ways to intervene earlier and help the disabled to stay on the job. The same is true for Social Security’s old-age benefits. When Congress voted in 1983 to gradually raise the retirement age from 65 to 67, it also set in motion a major expansion of credits rewarding individuals to stay on the job even longer, to age 70.

What had been a 3 percent credit grew to 8 percent per year, a change phased in over time but fully in place for those reaching retirement in 2008. The system is intended to be actuarially fair, based on the average life expectancy of retirees. But, on balance, it leans toward those best equipped to wait longer, and the reward is significant.

Indeed, at 70, a worker can qualify for benefits worth about 75 percent more than if he or she had chosen early retirement at 62.

Take, for example, an early baby boomer, born between 1946 and 1954 and slated to receive a $1,000-per-month payment from Social Security at full retirement age, now set at 66.

read more...

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Thread title caught my eye. We can spin off in a new thread if you prefer, but there is another side of the federal debt that is often ignored, the fact that our government doesn't have sovereign control of the money supply, but must pay interest to the banking conglomerate known as the Federal Reserve Bank. Monetary reform isn't discussed, but critical if we ever want to get out of debt. Interestingly, our total debt is roughly equal to the amount of interest paid on the debt since Jackson (this statistic may only be valid for before 2008).

A society that doesn't have sovereign control of it's money supply, doesn't have control of it's economy. It serves at the whim of the banks who can manipulate booms and busts for political or economic gain. There is a fantastic documentary by Bill Still - 2012 Libertarian runner up to Gary Johnson called The Secret of Oz - winner of Best Documentary of 2010 at the Beloit International Film Festival. It describes the history of monetary policy from Rome, Medieval Europe, Colonial times, Jackson, Lincoln, the Long Depression of the 1870-80s, creation of the Fed to present time, and outlays a plan to fix this mess.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I moved the SS stuff out of here and left with the other things such as debt and starbucks.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
OK explain how the US does not have control of its economy because it has a central money supply that it created staffed by people it appoints?
5 of those board members are private bankers.

I'd argue that our current two-party political system is corrupt absolutely, and that on the surface Repubs & Dems show contrast on social issues but there is little difference in their economic policies. As such, 14 year staggered terms of the 7 board members do not prevent political willpower from influencing US monetary policy.

If a party, or in reality a lone politician were to stand up and fight the banks' money-as-debt creation power, they would be squashed by with overwhelming financial might of their opposition.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
5 of those board members are private bankers.

I'd argue that our current two-party political system is corrupt absolutely, and that on the surface Repubs & Dems show contrast on social issues but there is little difference in their economic policies. As such, 14 year staggered terms of the 7 board members do not prevent political willpower from influencing US monetary policy.

If a party, or in reality a lone politician were to stand up and fight the banks' money-as-debt creation power, they would be squashed by with overwhelming financial might of their opposition.
Well since the private banks are a source of fueling the economy (getting money distributed) it makes sense.

With topics like this (no offense) I tend to feel my eyes glaze over. At the end of the day I look at my own personal financial situation and ask if I can thrive, and then after that if I can help others thrive. I can't see anything in this that stops either of those factors.

It's a little lazy of me I know, but I don't try to change (or complain about) the 'big things' that you have concerns about because it seems to head down the road of Skull and Crossbones and other craziness and isn't really productive.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I don't let it dictate my daily life. I have very few friends IRL who enjoy discussing monetary reform (go figure, haha). I hoped I might find other lost souls interested in the topic. So thank you for at least obliging that burgeoning question of how I come to my conclusion.

However, it is still marginally impacting our daily lives. For-profit banks are a drag force on the economy unlike a state bank like the Bank of North Dakota. I am not necessarily against banking for profit as the value they add is risk evaluation. However, as we saw in 2008, the interconnectedness and scale they have achieved grants them immunity to the risk of failure.

"Skull and Crossbones and other craziness" - that's the narrative the plutocrats would like us to believe. However, there are parts of the libertarian and green parties that want to bring monetary reform on the table.

Again, I highly recommend that documentary, maybe on your next flight. Use FlashGot to rip it off YouTube for inflight viewing pleasure. Even for the historical context of monetary policy, it is extremely interesting.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Isn't Ron Paul and Rand Paul your lone politician? In each case the audit the Fed movement is ignored more than crushed.

I am sure there is corruption in the marrow, but what is your alternative, guns, ammo, cropland and gold? I choose the matrix if that is the alternative.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I don't let it dictate my daily life. I have very few friends IRL who enjoy discussing monetary reform (go figure, haha). I hoped I might find other lost souls interested in the topic. So thank you for at least obliging that burgeoning question of how I come to my conclusion.

However, it is still marginally impacting our daily lives. For-profit banks are a drag force on the economy unlike a state bank like the Bank of North Dakota. I am not necessarily against banking for profit as the value they add is risk evaluation. However, as we saw in 2008, the interconnectedness and scale they have achieved grants them immunity to the risk of failure.

"Skull and Crossbones and other craziness" - that's the narrative the plutocrats would like us to believe. However, there are parts of the libertarian and green parties that want to bring monetary reform on the table.

Again, I highly recommend that documentary, maybe on your next flight. Use FlashGot to rip it off YouTube for inflight viewing pleasure. Even for the historical context of monetary policy, it is extremely interesting.
I think it is a valid topic. However in moderation as you say here. Thanks for the FlashGot tip too - good to know.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Yes, I figured as much when you Liked Matt's post. I still encourage you to watch The Secret of Oz (and not as background noise).

The fabricated "reporting" of MSNBC & Fox News makes my blood boil. I'm heading out for a few hours, but I'd love to spin that off into a new topic and not dilute the critical issue of monetary reform.