Family Card Strategy

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I think I know the answer but maybe I'm missing something. My wife and I both have Chase Sapphire Reserve and have gained the bonus. Might it be sensible to downgrade one of these to save the fee, since the points can be combined?

I have AMEX Platinum but my wife does not. Would it be sensible to see if she can get one with bonus and cancel or downgrade mine?

Is there a downside to this? No, we are not on bad terms and extremely likely to be together in perpetuity.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I think I know the answer but maybe I'm missing something. My wife and I both have Chase Sapphire Reserve and have gained the bonus. Might it be sensible to downgrade one of these to save the fee, since the points can be combined?
There is a great opportunity for you to scarf a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. The Unlimited nets 1.5X UR for all purchases while the normal Freedom is 1X with quarterly bonus categories. I had to trade my Freedom to obtain the Unlimited version, but overall it works better for me. Wish I could have each, and one day perhaps I will.

Right now the Unlimited card is playing second fiddle to our AMEX Blue Biz that is getting 2x MR + .3 bonus for the first year for all spend. The Freedom card comes out for those places that don't take AMEX (and that aren't otherwise bonused elsewhere).

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I should also note that there is no sense in paying the high fee on the second Reserve card. While you can get $300 back on airline fees, you're still out 150. The Freedom cards are NO FEE cards.

Of course, by downgrading you miss out on the small bonus they offer for a direct sign-up. For those of us well over 5/24, product changes are the only practical answer and bonuses don't come into play.

jumpyshoes

Level 2 Member
Piggybacking on this, I think your 5/24 status matters quite a bit. The Reserve can go much further with the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. I'm over 5/24, but I was pre-approved for the Freedom so I'll be converting my Sapphire to the Freedom Unlimited soon -- in your case, it seems the best move would be product change if you can't get the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited (as mentioned, these are fee-free cards).