EXPIRED: Safeway: Instant $10 off Purchase of $100+ more in AmEx Gift Cards (Expires 6/10/14)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
You need to log onto Safeway / Von's Just For You to add this offer. Look in the "Coupon Center" > Special Offers. It's "one time" (not sure if you can you use it multiple times).

Details: Save $10 Instantly when you purchase $100 or more in American Express Gift Cards. Limit 1. With the 5.95 activation fee, this is a $4.05 MM.

Today, I bought a $500 Variable AmEx gift card. I bought this with my CC that gives 5% CashBack for grocery stores, total was $29.25 MM.

Since the offer terms state "One Time" ... may go back again later to try ... Looking back, I wonder if I could have bought 5 x $100 AmEx GC's... $4 MM x 5 cards = $20 + $25 (5% CashBack from my credit card) = $45 MM.

Only problem is trying to liquidate the AGC's.

I wonder if you could signup for another Club card...

Last edited:

Anh

Level 2 Member
Yeah, if the limit 1 is not enforced this could be a good money maker. You spend the first $95 to buy the $100 Amex GC, then use the GC to buy the next one (use it at self check out so people leave you alone - although they will need to approve the the transaction - most cashiers will just ask you what GC that is and once they see fixed denomination, they will just approve it and walk away). In the end you would end up with a bunch of $5 Amex GC that can be used for groceries.

Granted there aren't many points and miles to be earned for this scheme, but getting a bunch of free money to shop at Safeway isn't bad.

Reactions: Zoe

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
You all beat me to it but since I copied the T & C here they are:

American Express® Gift Cards
Save $10 Instantly when you purchase $100 or more in American Express Gift Cards. Limit 1*.

Offer Details: *Coupon expires 1 week after issue (06/10/2014). Purchase must be made in one transaction. One coupon per transaction. Use Gift Card only at US merchants that accept American Express® Cards, except cruise lines and recurring payment. No ATM use. Funds do not expire. Not redeemable for cash, except where required by law. Additional limitations apply. See Cardholder Agreement for complete details. Gift Card is issued by American Express Prepaid Card Management Corporation. © 2014 American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.

I actually planned to try buying a $100 GC and then going back through to buy groceries with it, and to try to buy a second. I'll report back.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I was able to buy two GCs, but that may be because the first didn't show the immediate refund. No idea why. The second one - a separate transaction - did.

The manager did give me $10 for the first purchase, but the SW J4Y printed offer I had with me specifically says one time only. So I doubt you could scale without separate J4Y accounts.

Also, the AMEX card did not work on the second transaction. In theory it is immediately available, but when I got home, the small print said that it can take up to four hours to be really live. So either you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC or you need to wait four hours.

Finally, in the past I have tried to add an offer (for a free soda) that I'd already added and used a few days before. I was surprised to see it again online, but there it was, so I tried to add it again. The offer added OK online, it didn't end up free when I bought it. So "one time only "probably means what it says!

Anh

Level 2 Member
There is no limit to the number of rewards cards you have...
But setting up all of them for J4U is a pain isn't it? They all want different phone number and email addresses and mailing addresses as well.

Anh

Level 2 Member
I was able to buy two GCs, but that may be because the first didn't show the immediate refund. No idea why. The second one - a separate transaction - did.

The manager did give me $10 for the first purchase, but the SW J4Y printed offer I had with me specifically says one time only. So I doubt you could scale without separate J4Y accounts.

Also, the AMEX card did not work on the second transaction. In theory it is immediately available, but when I got home, the small print said that it can take up to four hours to be really live. So either you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC or you need to wait four hours.

Finally, in the past I have tried to add an offer (for a free soda) that I'd already added and used a few days before. I was surprised to see it again online, but there it was, so I tried to add it again. The offer added OK online, it didn't end up free when I bought it. So "one time only "probably means what it says!
Indeed Amex can take a couple hours to activate.

Haley

I am not a robot
But setting up all of them for J4U is a pain isn't it? They all want different phone number and email addresses and mailing addresses as well.
It is.
I need a trained monkey.

I actually have a few set up. You can just add apartments to your address (if you live in a house). I have many email and phone numbers, always nice to find multiple ways to use those. Google. Plus every mobile device that uses data (tablets) has an associated phone number. Maybe even just any device with SIM card.

Not sure they need to be real numbers even in this case. Haven't tested it.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
The other day, I asked for several new reward cards. I filled out the applications with "names" and random phone numbers. LOL

For each card, I wrote down the phone number I used.

trvl4fs

Level 2 Member
I will swing by Vons in SoCal this am and report back.
Now I remember why I avoid Vons like the plague. Stopped at two different markets this morning and the second I handed over the Gift card was met with: "cash or debit?" When I explained that I intended to pay with credit card, I was told that was not allowed. I played dumb and inquisitive, but no go. Time to move on (again).

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I was able to sign up for another J4U account. Can you buy 2 x $100 AGC in the same transaction and get $10 off each?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
What's a better deal? I have 5% CC for grocery stores. Would buying a $200 or even $500 AGC be better than $100?