EXCLUSIVE: An interview with D. Barrett, the guy whose name appears on the Chase Sapphire...

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Welcome back to Chase Sapphire Preferred week! Dwayne Barrett, or “D” as he’s known to his friends, is known to Chase Sapphire Preferred fanboys everywhere as the latest “Guy Whose Name Appears on the Card in Advertisements”. Formerly a mild-mannered accountant in the Accounts Receivable department at Midstate Office Supply, he was plucked from obscurity to become the biggest name in the world of personal finance. We recently caught up with him for this exclusive interview, his first since taking over from D. Walden last year after Walden’s unfortunate death.

Q: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us, D! How has your life changed since being selected as Mr. Chase Sapphire Preferred?
A: It’s about what you’d expect–money, women, debauchery. Now that I’m a part of this, I can understand why the last three people to appear on this card died of drug overdoses. I try to stay humble and remember my roots, you know? Stay grounded, that sort of thing. I don’t want to be known as #4.
Q: Aside from the fast living, what’s your day-to-day life like?
A: Well, let’s address the elephant in the room. Yes, America, the rumors are true: I do indeed have an unlimited supply of Ultimate Rewards points.
Q: Wow! So do you stay at the–
A: The Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme? You bet I do! I split time between there and the Park Hyatt Maldives.
Q: I cannot imagine a more fulfilling existence.

D Barrett, the biggest name in the Chase Sapphire Preferred world!

A: It’s better than you can imagine, my friend. You know what’s weird, though? I can exchange my Ultimate Rewards points for Amex Membership Rewards points.
Q: Wait, what?
A: Seriously. I don’t know why they do this, but apparently if you have the Centurion card you can exchange your MRs for URs. This is the reverse. The high-level executives at Chase and Amex can all do this too. Membership has its privileges!
Q: Aside from the excellent perks you receive from the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, do you get extra benefits from people who recognize your famous face and name?

A: Definitely, definitely. Sometimes it will be the driver of my Uber Black car staring at me for an extra couple of seconds when I get in the car. Or the stewardess in first class who just smiles when I keep talking on my cell phone when she starts her safety demonstration. It happens pretty much everywhere, but seems to go double at restaurants and travel providers.
Q: Do people treat you differently on the first Friday of every month?
A: Do they ever! I don’t want to sound ungrateful but… honestly, it’s difficult for me to step foot in a restaurant on the first Friday of any given month. People will literally fight in order to pay for my food and drinks so that they can get that one extra Ultimate Reward point per dollar.
Q: Literally? As in fist fights?
A: Yes. It’s terrible. The police have been called on more than one occasion. But, you know, it just goes with the territory, I guess. I really can’t complain. Being Mr. Chase Sapphire Preferred is a pretty sweet deal.

The post EXCLUSIVE: An interview with D. Barrett, the guy whose name appears on the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...