Eating Healthy While MSing? (Time vs. Convenience)

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I do most of my MSing while on my lunch hour from work. This means I need to eat quickly so I can complete my MS cycle in an hour.

Here's my problem:

In-n-Out & Chipotle (Near Target)
Rubios (Near Staples)
Panda Express (Near WalMart and OfficeMax/OfficeDepot)

I've been trying to grab a Subway sandwich or a sandwich/salad in a grocery store (since I'm usually in one). I guess I should make my own healthy lunch and bring it with me...

tobyrocks

Level 2 Member
I do most of my MSing while on my lunch hour from work. This means I need to eat quickly so I can complete my MS cycle in an hour.

Here's my problem:

In-n-Out & Chipotle (Near Target)
Rubios (Near Staples)
Panda Express (Near WalMart and OfficeMax/OfficeDepot)

I've been trying to grab a Subway sandwich or a sandwich/salad in a grocery store (since I'm usually in one). I guess I should make my own healthy lunch and bring it with me...

I have the same issue as I do most of my MS during lunch. I usually bring my lunch and eat it when I return to the office.

The thought of spending my lunch hours making miles/CB for a trip to a lush, beautiful, tropical beach only to get to said beach and not wear a bathing suit due to the 15 lbs I put on eating junk food during those lunch trips usually keeps me straight....

AnotherGradStudent

Level 2 Member
<rambling>

Chipotle and Rubios can be done very reasonably, depending on your macro and kcal requirements. Have you looked into the Chipotle Bowls, going light/without the rice/extra beans to get the kcals down and the protein up? A bowl without rice, minimal sour cream/cheese, and one of the protein choices (sofritos/pork/chicken/beef) looks an awful like a subway sandwich, nutritionally. Its been longer since I've been to Rubios but it has some similar options.

</rambling>

projectx

Level 2 Member
I've found that you can get a reasonable healthy meal at most places. Just look online for nutritional info. For example, here are two very helpful "build your own" tools:
http://chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator

The great thing about those two is mixing and matching ingredients to get the result you want. Makes it easy to find ways to fill up without blowing your gut. I still enjoy an occasional soda but generally try to avoid it; that's what will get you.

Is there a Chick-Fil-A on your route? Their new grilled chicken sandwich is delicious.

Last edited:

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I started dieting recently completely cutting out processed foods and only entirely natural with no byproducts or weird-sounding stuff. Also no grains and few carbs (and only through fruits and vegetables).

It's hard because everything is processed in the world of today; therefore, my girlfriend gets up before me and makes me breakfast, and a delicious snack and lunch for when I'm at work. I love her for it. It takes time to prepare food so you're better off doing it the night before.

I also MS on my lunch break - I eat on work time.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It's all pretty relative to exercise too, I used to go to the gym for 1.5-2hrs for lunch, would grab a shake or bar on the way back. In NY I might MS for 3 minutes when 'cooling off' on the walk back to the office.

AnotherGradStudent

Level 2 Member
Ah, I forgot to mention before, (though it's somewhat off topic)

I'll sometimes spend a few hours over the weekend cycling for exercise, and my local MS options actually make a lovely route. Removes the cost of gas, removes the cost of transit time (I'd be exercising anyway), and zeroes out my carbon footprint so I feel less bad about all the goddamned plastic this habit seems to necessitate.

But I recognize this isn't an option for most folks... Even I only use this for one of my weekly trips (the rest are, sadly, more mundane).

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
RB has really been bad for my efforts at healthy eating. I have a developed a habit of topping off my Target visits with a bag of their popcorn, bought with the trusty RB of course. Not too bad in terms of calories but not the best lunch either!

I tend to leave the house with an apple and a yogurt in my bag. Works for me but then again I am not MSing during my lunch hour, because I don't have one!

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
I'm getting better at staying away from fast food at lunch time. It's hard though. Around my area, there's a Chickfila that I love :). I'm going to Subway more often now. Sprouts supermarket made to order sandwiches are pretty tasty too. Greek food and Vietnamese pho aren't bad either. If I wanna splurge, I get sushi.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
@MarkD, if your concern is eating "healthy" (and I put that term in quotations as it can have a very different definition depending on who you ask and what their nutritional ideology is) then sticking to minimally processed, whole foods is a good way to go. So from your list I would say Chipotle and Rubio's seem to be the best fit if you are purchasing your lunch. Subway is good as well, along with a sandwich or salad from a grocery store.

If by "eating healthy" you are really referring to having a specific body-composition goal, such as losing weight, then the caloric content of the meals that you are eating is even more important. So in this regard, wherever you can find a meal that fits into your daily caloric intake will be the best choice. I'd still pick Rubio's, Chipotle, or Subway from the list above.

And yes, making your own meal is the best bet. You have control over both the quality of ingredients (and sourcing, if that matters to you), the size (caloric content of the meal), and it will be far cheaper than buying food. For the type of meals you seem to be buying at lunch, there really won't be a huge tradeoff in terms of time saved by buying instead of cooking, since a sandwich is quite quick to make.

jerryjerry

What do you mean by that? Are you going to stay away from some particular products?
Will you be taking some vitamins maybe? I find normally information about those on Canadian Pharmacy B2B website.
One thing is clear for me now, it is better to do a blood test before starting with that,